Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killer2

What's your first hardcore moment of Doom?

The first hardcore moment was probably beating MAP03 on UV without degreelessness mode on. I was pretty young but chaingun guys were deadly.

I've never felt that good at Doom. I remember suddenly feeling like a much better player back when I learnt to strafe effectively. I haven't had a jump in skill that steep since. I've probably improved over the last year due to playing more, forcing myself to test maps in UV without saves or secrets and improving (but not perfecting) my BFG useage - but it's been too gentle an incline to really notice.

I recently had a "hardcore moment" after beating Doom's Episode 2 using Brutal Doom. Man, that was refreshing. I hadn't played the original Doom in years, since the vast majority of my Dooming has been with mods.

I've never been very good at Doom. The one game I truly kicked ass at was Unreal Tournament.

In one of UT's assault maps, you have to run in to a room, up a ramp and then all the way around the balcony of the room to a switch (basically the longest path possible in a square room). I came in to the room late when I was on defense and a guy was up the ramp and half way around. I lobbed a flak cannon secondary at the switch (which I couldn't actually see) right when I knew the guy (who I also couldn't see) would be getting there. That was when I knew realized good I was.

It was also when I realized what it takes to be good at these games. I was a great shot, I was good with any weapon, I knew the maps like the back of my hand, the physics were second nature. Take off any of those skills (same map in a different engine, a map you don't know, stuck with a weapon you aren't good with, etc) and you can't be truly elite.

Mexican Doomguy said:

Beating the Cyberdemon with my fists.

Hey I did that plenty of times too. In Cybie.wad

Mexican Doomguy said:

Haven't played Cybie.wad

You don't know what you're missing.

Maes said:

You don't know what you're missing.

Dear Lord.
I downloaded it... and it's the most S&M pervert mod that I've played in all my life...that was disgusting...nuff said...

I felt that I (and my co-op partner DLRSuperman) was 'very good' or 'elite' on 1-3-2012 when we beat doom 1.9 on Nightmare skill all three original episodes in a row without dying. We did it on 2 win98 pcs that I've kept for playing old games on. We didn't speedrun, we fought our way through except when it was impossible to fight. I don't know how to describe our playing style other than fun! After we beat E1 together on nightmare a few years ago this was our goal - and we finally f*cking did it!!! Hooray for Doom, one of the best games of all time.

DLRArchangel said:

I felt that I (and my co-op partner DLRSuperman) was 'very good' or 'elite' on 1-3-2012 when we beat doom 1.9 on Nightmare skill all three original episodes in a row without dying. We did it on 2 win98 pcs that I've kept for playing old games on. We didn't speedrun, we fought our way through except when it was impossible to fight. I don't know how to describe our playing style other than fun! After we beat E1 together on nightmare a few years ago this was our goal - and we finally f*cking did it!!! Hooray for Doom, one of the best games of all time.

Wow! That really is quite an awesome feat! Good job guys! If you have a demo of it I would love to see it.

killer2, I have the replays but I'm having a problem transfering them from the old computers to this one since they aren't networked. its annoying and not as simple as it seems - don't ask... when i get this resolved i'll post them for you.

Loading up Brutal Doom, playing TNT's stronghold map with no save games and only knowledge of half the map plus on UV, and completing the whole thing with no deaths.

Boss moment.

DuckReconMajor said:

E4M2 on Xbox controller is pretty hard. I had to use BFG grab.

Me too. The trick on that level is speed. If you're quick enough, you can finish that level with high healther, armor and ammo.

I did.

And that, was pretty hardcore.