Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1337CyberdemonxX

Can I get a custom doomworld avatar?

Yes, you can.

Just post 227 more times. Then you'll be able to upload.

(Disclaimer: this is not an encouragement to spam just for the sole purpose of trying to get an avatar, as that will get you banned)

Why do we have a minimum post count to allow custom avatars? Is there really a point? Why not just allow custom avatars from the start? And why the horribly small size of 48x48? Most people have bigger monitors these days, 64x64 is much more reasonable. [/stupidrant]

Sodaholic said:

And why the horribly small size of 48x48? Most people have bigger monitors these days, 64x64 is much more reasonable.

I can agree with this. They're stupid small on my monitor and it's a chore making an avatar at that resolution this day and age.

I consider small avatars to be a good thing. It's quite distracting to read posts when huge (and even worse, animated) avatars and signatures are everywhere. It's similar to reading a news site loaded with flash banners all around.

And it has nothing to do with screen resolution.

Sodaholic said:

Why do we have a minimum post count to allow custom avatars? Is there really a point? Why not just allow custom avatars from the start? And why the horribly small size of 48x48? Most people have bigger monitors these days, 64x64 is much more reasonable. [/stupidrant]

Your avatar is already annoying enough at its current size :)

I'm sure there was a time when 36x36 was the limit, so perhaps it's been increased since then.

fraggle said:

I'm sure there was a time when 36x36 was the limit, so perhaps it's been increased since then.

Doomworld launches into the twentieth century...

I've never been bothered by the small avatars. It makes it easier for me to read things quickly without flashy stuff all over.

Donce said:

I consider small avatars to be a good thing. It's quite distracting to read posts when huge (and even worse, animated) avatars and signatures are everywhere. It's similar to reading a news site loaded with flash banners all around.

And it has nothing to do with screen resolution.

This and all of this, even though mostly the signatures part. Sites that have regulations are 'okay', but Doomworld is better without having them at all. Makes threads look crisp, clean, and to the utter point.

Avatars are more or less used to identify one as well sometimes, and a small avatar can do that job just perfectly.

Membrain said:

I've never been bothered by the small avatars. It makes it easier for me to read things quickly without flashy stuff all over.

^^^^^^^

I can understand the issue with image signatures, but really, making the avatar size larger isn't going to be the end of the world. I don't see how even a 100x100 avatar would be so much more offensive than a 48x48 one.

And how is a picture on the side of the post going to make reading the post harder?

DuckReconMajor said:

And how is a picture on the side of the post going to make reading the post harder?

Exactly. Only thing I can think of being a problem is annoying animated avatars (speaking of which, I myself am starting to get bugged by my current one, I'll change it soon).

I'm okay with Doomworld's avatar size, and the only thing I'm gonna say is that we're used with this avatar size here, that's why it won't change very soon. ZDoom is used with 100x100, Realm667 with around 140x140 (or whatever). It doesn't reflect anything, it's just a way things have evolved, and they will evolve at a slow pace, which means that avatars may increase, but not suddenly.

On the other hand, on Doomworld you can place signatures, unlike ZDoom! And you can write all sorts of nasty things in them (provided you don't bother someone :) ): external links, hidden messages, messages you want someone else to see... Just don't make them of too many lines or you might get losered for forum layout breaking. Also all illegal-linking/trolling banning rules apply as well :)

Membrain said:

printz said:

On the other hand, on Doomworld you can place signatures, unlike ZDoom!

I'm glad this is virtually unused here, though.

Signature banners are a pox on the Internet.

Contrast draws attention. That's the whole way visual perception works.

Movement also draws attention (it's an old survival mechanism) and too much activity on-screen can make it hard to concentrate on what you're reading.

Gez said:

Signature banners are a pox on the Internet.

Yeah but signature links are quite useful because they bring to user's home- and project page(s). I don't have a homepage, so I'm just linking to what I'm thinking would still be useful.

printz said:

Yeah but signature links are quite useful because they bring to user's home- and project page(s).

Look carefully at the OP, you'll see a "Homepage" link.

Most people don't have one because they've left it empty, but a signature isn't needed for that purpose. Only if you have several links you want to put.

DuckReconMajor said:

Well, it isn't as bad as when they are on top of the post. That and:

Phml said:

Contrast draws attention.

Gez said:

Look carefully at the OP, you'll see a "Homepage" link.

Huh. Neat. There goes my evening.

Well, that explains why nobody goes to my TOTALLY AWESOME website.

(website is not totally awesome, do not click the link. please do not ban me for advertising)

I don't mind small avatars, but they seem to be a BIT too small here these days. On my 26" monitor at 1080p resolution, they look like colored blobs. I don't even know what half of them are supposed to be.

Danarchy said:

I don't mind small avatars, but they seem to be a BIT too small here these days.

I don't mind small avatars either, but as you said, commonly used resolutions these days makes the existing size far too small. I don't think anyone uses 1024x768 or 800x600 anymore.

Danarchy said:

I don't mind small avatars, but they seem to be a BIT too small here these days.

They're large enough for my needs.

Sodaholic said:

I don't mind small avatars either, but as you said, commonly used resolutions these days makes the existing size far too small. I don't think anyone uses 1024x768 or 800x600 anymore.

Actually, I do. My monitor is like 10 years old.