Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Crazy theories about Doom

Post your wildest, most far-fetched Doom theories and wild mass guesses. They can be anything from small in-universe speculations to elaborate completely insane conspiracy theories regarding the creation of the game.

Here's one, just to get things started:-

What if all of the events in Doom are pure fantasies of Doomguy's, perhaps as a way of coping with some kind of trauma? Or maybe it's all a virtual reality used as some sick psychological experiment by the UAC? Maybe he's on a crazy trip after taking his psychedelic drug of choice? Maybe it's just something as benign as a lengthily dream he's having?

I mean, whatever the exact circumstances, it would explain his ability to run at superhuman speeds, how he can carry an abnormal amount of weight without the aid of a trolley or something, why he never needs to reload his weapons, why there are green mountains and clear skies on Phobos, and why there are demons and hell and whatnot.

I have yet to write a fanfic that explains how Doomguy can run fast:

Spoiler

In the story, he is demoted to sub-vice-private and is turned into Sgt. Kelly errand-boy, doing all sorts of menial tasks like sweeping floors, delivering packages etc. At least, he was issued a sort of all-terrain "Mars Moon" scooter to quickly travel between the various UAC bases in order to deliver packages quickly, lug his janitor gear etc.

When the shit hits the fan, he was just returning to the Hangar after such a "mission". He finds himself the sole survivor in the base, he thinks that it's a wonderful opportunity to clear his name (and perhaps reach Sgt. Kelly's office and destroy the documents reporting his demotion before they get sent back to Earth. In that way, and with no witnesses, it will have never officially happened). Armed with the gun from the dead marine in front of him, and the mobility of his super-janitor Mars Moon scooter, he sets forth on his mission. The rest, as they say, is legend.

This explains very well the speed achieved (analyzed to death to be about 12.5 mph/25 mph for walking/running and 45 mph for wallrunning), comparable with a moped, and his terrain negotiating and movement limitations.

sgt dopey said:

The way I think that doomguy can run at insane speeds and carry a hell of a lot is that he takes steroids, lots and lots of them

He also has a backpack you know.

Doomguy is an athlete and also juiced to the max - he can do anything... running as fast as a cheetah is a given.

cacodemons are filled hot gasses, "trapped" --i guess by the electric field in its mouth, enabling it to fly. When the cacodemon dies, the electricity diffuses allowing the gasses to escape; the cacodemon plummets to the floor and deflates.

I imagine lost souls to not even have any weight, i guess just some spiritual energy that the pain elemental is saturated with that enables it to levitate itself, like a poltergeist that levitates objects in a haunted house.

I don't think the doom guy carries an unrealistic amount of ammo. Shotgun shell belts generally carry 25 shells, but I think an extended belt could surely hold 50. A bullet belt linked to the chaingun with a few feet in length would easily be 200 bullets. Just wrap it around the chest Rambo style. I don't really know how to explain 50 rockets, other than that the proportions of the missiles are drawn way too big. I think the idea was to make the rockets and rocket box pickups look huge so the player would be able to understand how powerful they are. But I'm not convinced a rocket launcher could launch rockets that size in rapid succession. They have to be smaller than depicted.

There is not only one doomguy, but one for every weapon, all walking behind each other as one big line. When you change a weapon, the doomguy carrying that one quickly runs to the front of the line where the camera is (which is also being held by a doomguy). All of them are so fast (they wear roller skates) that you don`t see them when you turn around. They quickly move behind the camera.

That or another theory I read somewhere here two years ago. Doomguy is sitting inside a shopping cart with all his weapons. The shoppin cart is being steered by another doomguy. That explains the speed.

The Doom universe is not in the future, but in the past, in the ages before Sumer. The bases are not in space, but under the sea. The Inferno episode actually depicts the cataclysmic events which culminated in the destruction of Atlantis, Lemuria and the rest of the ancient world.

Doomguy is a direct descendant of the reptilian-nord hybrid bloodline. That explains his super-human skills: he is not human.

Doomguy is yet to figure out how to set his chaingun to a higher fire rate setting than "ammo conservation mode".

Chuck Norris is WoWguy now.

I said this in the other thread but the single shotgun has a "flat" nozzle on it. Unfortunately because of the tight fit not all of the pellets make it out. The (somehow always 3) pellets that are still in the barrel are released when Doomguy cocks the shotgun.

40oz said:

cacodemons hot gas theory

No match for the infamous NewDoom forums cacodemon poop-chute inflation theory.

Hey you turkey weeds that ain't no ****hole. You guys know those big beach balls that you blow up with air. Well the Cacodemons are inflatable and the big Cyberdemons have to inflate them every morning, using their Cyberlips. That's why the Caco's float so nicely, they're full of hot Cyberair. Also that's why they deflate like a sack of crud when you plug em full of lead.

All of those who have ever said that having a minimal plot and an almost-abstract setting makes Doom a perfect place for the imagination to let loose were clearly right.

> CARRYING WEAPONS
Flat technology. Watch Ultra Violet and they demonstrate flat technology. Things like a sword can fit into a belt. An entire child can be in a laptop computer.

> FAST RUNNER
Doomguy can run so fast because its either the armor he wears or the atmosphere on Phobos, Diemos, Mars and Hell. Phobos you can jump high enough and leave its orbit.

OR... maybe its the atmosphere being changed into something with little gravity... so little that Doomguy fears if he jumps he will leave the surface.

OR... he doesn't have legs, but cybernetic implants. If Cyberdemon has them, why can't Doomguy? You don't really think man would go to Mars without mastering robot legs? << probably the best theory.

> PHOBOS IS DUST
Better yet come up with theories on how Phobos can even have buildings when its a rock covered in miles of dust collected on the surface.

> IT IS IN YOUR HEAD
Oh and as for the Doomguy's stuff being all in his head, that's probably most logical considering he's the only man in the universe. No one else survived huh? Actually I've thought maybe its not zombie-ism that the other soldiers have, but an Arch-Vile ressurecting the dead and when you're ressurected that's close enough to zombie-ism.

> WHEN THE DREAM ENDS
Doomguy will just be some teenage girl getting carted off by FBI agents for another high school shooting. Zombies will be students. Cacodemons will be bloated fat teachers. Imps will be hot lipped jocks. Barons will be teachers with the school's mascot as a goat. Cyberdemons will be the now destroyed statue of the famous man the school was named for. They will all be found dead or ruined by her shotgun.

geo said:

> CARRYING WEAPONS
Flat technology. Watch Ultra Violet and they demonstrate flat technology. Things like a sword can fit into a belt. An entire child can be in a laptop computer.

But then, could you fit said child-fitted-laptop into a belt?

No Maes... that would be crazy talk. :-) Perhaps there is some logistics to it where the flat technology is squeezed down to 1/10th of its size and stored in portals inside of the belt or laptop case. Or maybe the molicules are distributed then reconstituted when pulled out.

DOOM is infact the start of a new generation of cyberdwelling dudes and chicks who are batteries for a DoomsDayMachine which is not a solid mega mecha but a communication machine which is spread far across the earth to start certain natural disasters or other sad and epic events of destruction or why not instead MLP becomes REAL and the cosmic ecvations becomes fully calculated and alien races or gods comes to earth to pickup geneticly perfected humans to bring them to edens garden (AKA gods crib) and then when the cycles are reset it will take another 2000-2500 years before next divine delivery of humans will be on its way to eden and no one will notice one signel thing.
DOOM in numbers= D=4 O=15 O=15 M=13 =4+15+15+13=47=4*7=28=2*8=16

so there will be 16^16 elements that will do its part in this entire process and just as many demons/angels to ensure nothing will go wrong

wile we're at it yasunori Kato will be there to destroy Tokyo but will only go so far that he awakes Taira no Masakado just in time to keep the eastern world in balance. if youre waiting for M Bison to show up you will only find Kato, exept that you will never find him unless he finds you.

meanwile in the north an ice age will break out to wipe the weak out of the northen surface to make sure that the odds of finding geneticly perfect humans will increase by some 2% over the affected area.

then in some distant future one man will gain demonic powers by visiting hell and make it back, becomming so possesed that he'll make this jurney some hundred times and find immortality given by the false heavens and then be betrayed by the UAC because of their desire for more resources from distant worlds and darkness will be balanced out in order by him until hell turns its attention back to alien-god races that they've fought since ancient-cosmic times.

D_GARG said:

DOOM is infact the start of a new generation of cyberdwelling dudes and chicks who are batteries for a DoomsDayMachine which is not a solid mega mecha but a communication machine which is spread far across the earth to start certain natural disasters or other sad and epic events of destruction or why not instead MLP becomes REAL and the cosmic ecvations becomes fully calculated and alien races or gods comes to earth to pickup geneticly perfected humans to bring them to edens garden (AKA gods crib) and then when the cycles are reset it will take another 2000-2500 years before next divine delivery of humans will be on its way to eden and no one will notice one signel thing.
DOOM in numbers= D=4 O=15 O=15 M=13 =4+15+15+13=47=4*7=28=2*8=16

so there will be 16^16 elements that will do its part in this entire process and just as many demons/angels to ensure nothing will go wrong

wile we're at it yasunori Kato will be there to destroy Tokyo but will only go so far that he awakes Taira no Masakado just in time to keep the eastern world in balance. if youre waiting for M Bison to show up you will only find Kato, exept that you will never find him unless he finds you.

meanwile in the north an ice age will break out to wipe the weak out of the northen surface to make sure that the odds of finding geneticly perfect humans will increase by some 2% over the affected area.

then in some distant future one man will gain demonic powers by visiting hell and make it back, becomming so possesed that he'll make this jurney some hundred times and find immortality given by the false heavens and then be betrayed by the UAC because of their desire for more resources from distant worlds and darkness will be balanced out in order by him until hell turns its attention back to alien-god races that they've fought since ancient-cosmic times.

Opium?

^^^ I was thinking more Matrix, but I didn't read much of the wallotext.

sgt dopey said:

The way I think that doomguy can run at insane speeds and carry a hell of a lot is that he takes steroids, lots and lots of them

Secret experimental UAC rocket-skates.

Doomguy simply selected the present "super-hi tops" before the first mission, but the present never wears off so he gets permanent speed boost.

Doom isn't really Doom at all, but is instead The Last Ninja for the Commodore 64, except Doom's music is shite compared to The Last Ninja. Also they changed the graphics a bit and made it so the screen doesnt have to re-draw itself every time you move into a new area.

The Cacodemons in Doom 64 were modelled after a dog poo someone saw in a park. So were all the other monsters. And the weapons. And the levels. Id software secretly call Doom 64 "Doom: the poopoo in the park edition".

Sorry, I couldn't think of more relevant conspiracies, but these theories are more convincing than any of the 9/11 theories.

MSPaintR0cks said:

There is not only one doomguy, but one for every weapon, all walking behind each other as one big line. When you change a weapon, the doomguy carrying that one quickly runs to the front of the line where the camera is (which is also being held by a doomguy). All of them are so fast (they wear roller skates) that you don`t see them when you turn around. They quickly move behind the camera.

That or another theory I read somewhere here two years ago. Doomguy is sitting inside a shopping cart with all his weapons. The shoppin cart is being steered by another doomguy. That explains the speed.

I was going to come up with something ultra super amazing but then this guy (and the person from the past with the shopping cart idea) did it for me. No need for me to continue any further than this.

MSPaintR0cks said:

I like both of these theories, particularly the first because it explains the discrepancy in the apparent handedness of the Doomguy when holding different weapons (sometimes he seems left handed, sometimes right handed).

However, I'm having difficulty visualizing 9-10 Doomguys on rollerskates in a line all carrying different weapons. Could someone perhaps come up with an illustration?

fraggle said:

However, I'm having difficulty visualizing 9-10 Doomguys on rollerskates in a line all carrying different weapons. Could someone perhaps come up with an illustration?

I suppose it would look somewhat like this:

I've imagine a scene with Sam, Master Chief, Marcus Fenix and Duke.
They saw Doomguy coming and they said:

Mainstream Heroes:
-Go to hell f**ker!

Calmly, Doomguy responds:
-Been there, made it my b*tch.

LOL!

MajorRawne said:

The Cacodemons in Doom 64 were modelled after a dog poo someone saw in a park. So were all the other monsters. And the weapons. And the levels. Id software secretly call Doom 64 "Doom: the poopoo in the park edition".

Sorry, I couldn't think of more relevant conspiracies, but these theories are more convincing than any of the 9/11 theories.

I don't know what kind of parks you've been visiting, or what kind of dogs have been shitting there.

EDIT: D'oh! This was a bump by mistake. I didn't notice this was a year ago.

Cyber-Demons are actually highly modified goats. UAC had some experiments on a goat which eventually led it to become brownish, grow a lot bigger and gain evil red eyes. They had to attach the rocket launcher and tried to put some wires to control the goat, but it was useless. The goat went on a huge rage killing all of the people found on Deimos. Also, it freed some modified animals, which all are now called "Demons". The havoc spread entirely creating what we see now at the second episode. Tech bases are acting weird, ugly looking faces on the walls, evil reddish bricks...

So now, you kill the goat at the end. You think that it is an evil demon spawned from hell and came to destroy planets. However, it was just a goat who was looking for grass to eat.

Phobos and Deimos infection was made by humans.