Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's my attempt. It's so bad. One minute in and I usually barely drew a few lines. One minute and a half and I'm scrambling to add weapons or ammo. Compared to yours... Damn, you're fast. Or I'm slow.

Edit: oh, and as might have been obvious from my wording, I went with two minutes per map rather than one. And despite that there's several maps broken, including one impossible to complete. Heh.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

you'll get the point after 4 of these.

I think we got the point when we read the thread title. Yawn.

@Phml: The way I do these super fast speedmaps is I just start drawing lines in DB without giving much thought to shapes, angles, etc. Make 2, 3 rooms tops. Make your exit. Then start filling with monsters and ammo. If you have a few seconds left, go ahead and change a texture or two. You're done.

This would surely be the way Doom would have looked like if the guys at id had been too busy to program a new engine and instead just updated the Wolf3D engine a little with non-orthogonal walls, floor-and ceiling textures and just a tiny bit more height variation.

For some weird reason, I totally enjoyed playing these four levels. There is something about it, maybe even if it just because of the little what-if scenario written above that I had in mind.
I would like to see some more levels in this style.

MSPaintR0cks said:

For some weird reason, I totally enjoyed playing these four levels. There is something about it, maybe even if it just because of the little what-if scenario written above that I had in mind.
I would like to see some more levels in this style.

Yeah, we should make a megawad in this style and we can call it "MSPaintR0cks"

1 hour /90 minute speed maps is how speedmapping originated (that's the standard formula for speed maps).

How about the 100 person 100 minute wad: someone starts a wad spending one minute building it. They don't have to have it playable, they can spend that one minute doing whatever they want: sketching out a basic layout, or just working on one room. It then gets sent to the next person to spend one minute on it, until 100 people have worked on the wad. Maybe you could set a rule that the first 60 people (minutes) can only build new stuff and everyone after that are to tweak the wad to make it more playable, less retarded. The wad could be called "100hands.wad" The event would have to be well publicized to get 100 people to commit to a weekend to work on it. The wad would then be built in two days (Saturday and Sunday). It would require people to be fast at uploading and downloading so that there would only be a couple minutes between uploads and downloads. So ideally no more than 3 hours per day (50 hands a day--one minute allowance for building, one minute for uploading and one minute for downloading).

You could maybe add other little wrinkles (rules) to make the outcome a little more interesting, like the 33rd person can build something not attached / part of the work in progress (an isolated room) which then everyone after than can I either build on the new room or continue building on the main part of the map until the two become connected (that could pose some problems, tho)

That sounds cool. So we should plan when to start this if we're gonna do it. I think we should also have a 5 minute leeway for the first person to add in any textures that they want. But, each person after that must stick to stock and whatever pack was picked, and then the last person is given 5 minutes of leeway to fix up anything glary.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

That sounds cool. So we should plan when to start this if we're gonna do it. I think we should also have a 5 minute leeway for the first person to add in any textures that they want. But, each person after that must stick to stock and whatever pack was picked, and then the last person is given 5 minutes of leeway to fix up anything glary.

I was thinking of putting a few hours into thinking through the idea thoroughly and then making an official project post with all the rules and considerations. One thing I'm sort of hoping for with this project is that we won't have too much trouble getting 100 people to commit since they are only committing one minute of their time (...okay 3 minutes...). :D

Finding 100 Doomworld members connected at all isn't easy.
Only a fraction of that will read Wads&Mods.
A smaller percentage of that still will read the particular topic.
Out of that number, only a handful will actually be interested in participating.

It's unrealistic by orders of magnitude. Don't get me started on the level of coordination required for every single participant to download, map, upload all in ~3 minutes, without the slighest hiccup.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, it's just that if you want this to go anywhere you ought to scale back to realistic goals. A dozen people or so is what you can likely expect, and about ten minutes between each contribution. People could take turns or something.

DuckReconMajor said:

I played the Waste Tunnels for a full five minutes before I realized it wasn't part of the wad.

lol, forizzle? You have amnesia or just never played doom 2 before?