Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Teleporting things with Hexen ACS

So I have this map I'm working on for my Curse 2 project. And in one instance, I want every player that is in a cooperative game to be forced to one specific location as this action is performed.

But in ACS the teleport function only teleports the mobj that performed the activation of the function. So I can only teleport the one person that is already where I need him to be.

TeleportOther doesn't appear to be a part of the Hexen ACS vocabulary.

I have one way to deal with this. But it is very very dirty. By upon activation, having the game switch to another map and then back again. I can have all the players spawn in the area, and also, then respawn in case of death in that same area.

But I would rather not do that. I would rather have the players just teleport. So if anyone who's a lot more competent with scripting than I am, could help me out. It would be greatly appreciated.

I know nothing of coding ACS, but how do voodoo dolls work with it (like you can use a voodoo doll to pick up items)?

Sure, you can make a voodoo doll. That you push with a script and that picks up crap. But that would be it's own mobj. So if you would make that activate a script, it would teleport the voodoo doll, not the player.

Actually, it appears that Thingthrust in Hexen got the same limitation as Teleport. So you can't Thrust something that doesn't activate it's own script or action it appears.

I'd suggest using ENTER scripts that wait until a global (map-scope) variable is set to a given value before teleporting; but I'm not sure vanilla Hexen has the ENTER script type... The OPEN type wouldn't work since we want this script to be run by each player rather than by the map itself.

If it's possible to use ENTER scripts, then it's just a question of having the player action change the value of the variable to what's needed to end the waiting loop and teleport.

well. You could do that by simply putting a line in front of the players where they spawn in the map.

EDIT: BTW, Vermil. I just realized that you could have a polyobject push a voodoo doll to make it start moving on a current.

I actually like the idea of an "ethereal travel" map... But the scripting sounds complicated...

kristus said:

Well, that worked very well actually.

So, which approach did you use?

I decided to push the players over a line as the map starts using a silent nondamaging polyobject and silent teleporter. We just tested it and it worked very nicely in Coop.
Only problem was that if you die, you will still spawn in that little cupboard. So that's a drawback. I fixed the issue. But I figured out a way to make it work more seamlessly still. But making them cross a barrier with a script line that is only activated during cooperative play. So the cupboard was eventually pointless. But still good to keep into consideration for something else.