Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Marcaek

Sound priority

I replaced the Baron's first Chase codepointer with Hoof, but unlike the Cyberdemon the Hoof sound cuts out the Baron's awakening scream. I did replace the awakening sound effect with a new one but I left the sound entry itself alone in WhackEd. What exactly is keeping the Hoof sound from interrupting the Cyber's scream?

The two bosses (Cyber and Spider) make their sight and death sounds at full volume, on a separate channel. Normally, each actor has a single sound channel: their sight sounds will be interrupted by their idle sounds, which will be interrupted by their shotgun sounds, which will be interrupted by their pain sounds... But the Cyber and the Spider make their sight and death sounds on another, unique channel, uninterrupted by hooves or metal. In vanilla Doom that channel is also used by item pick-up sounds.

Notice how the Arachnotron, a non-boss, also makes a sight sound that gets cut by the immediate DSBSPWLK sound. Only that there the developers added a wait time before the frame that plays that sound. You may do something like this here, putting the hoof sound in a later chase frame.