Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Avoozl

Visual Studio 2010 compatibility of opening/compiling source codes of id games?

About a year ago I aquired visual studio 2010 and it wasn't until now that I decided to try and teach myself a little programming and fiddle with the source codes of most id titles like for example: Doom 3, RTCW(SP), Jedi Academy(MP) and Quake 3 Arena/Team Arena, well first I tried the rtcw source code and opened the sln file and that's when I got a few errors regarding certain features in the code not being compatible with VS2010, because of this I guess that not all source codes for older games will work in later versions of visual studio software, is there any work arounds to get any of said game source codes to work with VS2010 or will I need an older version of visual studio to work with any of the source codes?

Porting up to the next version of any compiler is likely to require some modification. This has especially been true for Visual Studio through its tortured past of slowly becoming standards-compliant.

The issues you mention are probably minor. If you were an experienced coder it would probably take a few hours to knock them out, if that even. However, if you're just getting started, they are probably baffling. If you're a non-programmer just trying to do the build and get an EXE out of the transaction, it's a game killer.

Quasar said:

Porting up to the next version of any compiler is likely to require some modification. This has especially been true for Visual Studio through its tortured past of slowly becoming standards-compliant.

The issues you mention are probably minor. If you were an experienced coder it would probably take a few hours to knock them out, if that even. However, if you're just getting started, they are probably baffling. If you're a non-programmer just trying to do the build and get an EXE out of the transaction, it's a game killer.

Well it looks like I have to learn a lot more programming skills at the start than expected for the extra work required to make the source codes workable with later visual studio software, because I didn't think about the posibility of incompatibilities I figured the source code has everything (not including resources) that the final product of the game had to compile the source code and wanted to do some minor value changes of things to the code first like for example: changing weapon damage, increasing values for the limits of things able to be present in a map at once and how much ram the game uses, I was hoping that I'd at least be able to compile it easily after making these simple changes and test it, oh well but I thank you for opening up my eyes to the difficulties for even changing simple things with source codes and just merely compiling it.

Instead of trying to alter the original source code as release by Id, why not try to adapt a source port, where someone has already taken care of these problems for you?