Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiend-o-hell

PANOPHOBIA - Community Project (Let's get this going again shall we! )

About

Panophobia is a community project focusing on real life fears, such as the ever common arachnophobia, which is the fear of spiders. Panophobia was originally proposed and led by BloodyAcid.
Since then, the project has come under the control of a few mighty fellows.

Currently Dobugabumaru is spearheading the project as Project Leader. As such, he your day-to-day primary contact.

Former Project Leader fiend-o-hell (aka FoH) will stay on as moderator and maintainer of this thread. What?!? He is still alive and kicking?!? Yay!.

You can get access to the old thread here

Map Design Guidelines

1-Be as creative and original with your phobia as possible
2-Vanilla limit removing compatible ONLY (-complevel 2)(no boom,zboom, etc)
3-New music allowed (replace iwad lumps only)
4-Pistol start
5-Enhanced difficulty
6-IWAD resources only (except music)
5-All monsters and weapons are allowed
6-If there is no issue with aforementioned guidelines, anything else goes

Releases
--------
DOWNLOAD PANOPHOBIA ALPHA 2 10.27.2012
DOWNLOAD PANOPHOBIA PRE-RELEASE NOW! 9.8.2012

--------------------------------------
Maplist (old and outdated)
--------------------------------------
MAP01 Welcome to Fear (Panophobia) by MajorRawne
MAP02 Running Scared (pt1) by FoH
MAP03 Spellbound (Alone) by PabloD
MAP04 Running Scared (pt2) by FoH
MAP05 Spider Island Pt1 (Spider) by MajorRawne
MAP06 Running Scared (pt3) by FoH
MAP07 Pain Consumes (Pain) by Death Egg
MAP08 Running Scared (pt4) by FoH
MAP09 Blood Urge (Blood) by PRIMEVAL & FoH
MAP10 Running Scared (pt5) by FoH
MAP11 untitled (Red) by dobugabumaru
MAP12 Running Scared (pt6) by FoH
MAP13 Meat Train (Gore) by FoH & BloodyAcid
MAP14 Running Scared (pt7) by FoH
MAP15 Whispers in the Dark (Darkness) by FoH
MAP16 Running Scared (pt8) by FoH
MAP17 Ruin Me (Ruins) by Magnificent Beard
MAP18 Running Scared (pt9) by FoH
MAP19 Drowning (Water) by MajorRawne
MAP20 Running Scared (pt10) by FoH
MAP21 House that Fear Built (Past) by MajorRawne
MAP22 Running Scared (pt11) by FoH
MAP23 Spider Island Pt 2 (Spider) by MajorRawne
MAP24 Running Scared (pt12) by FoH
MAP25 Vertigo Limit (Skyscraper) by FoH
MAP26 Running Scared (pt13) by FoH
MAP27 The Sigil (Déjà vu) by Dobugabumaru
MAP31 Cacophobia (Doom) by BloodyAcid

My status: Single

Kidding, it has been started but I can't say how much is done for it. Though now seeing that it needs enhanced difficulty, maybe I'm not quite as done as I thought...

Sign me up for a slot. I found a phobia list off google that I think would help for alot of ideas, in fact I chose Xylophobia, which is the fear of wooden objects/wood and forests.

@PRIMEVAL: Great! I have updated your status

@Bloodskull: Welcome on board! I will put you on the list for Xylophobia, map slot 18.

@<TFW>grimreaper: welcome! You'll take map slot 19 with Toxiphobia.

@BloodyAcid: Ah great! I'll update MagnificentBeard's status.

On another note, I think its high time we come up with a proper title card. I'm half-way decent with photoshop, so I can make the title and font. We'll need some kind of phobia inducing visual though as a hook, so post some pics up if you have any suggestions. I was thinking along the lines of a centered single object or person against a pitch black background. If anybody here is handy at drawing, perhaps the doom marine clutching his temples in shear terror (as if right?).

Hi, I'm not far off finished with one of my maps, I am busy at work on the second, and I have a strong concept for the third.

My maps are called:

Nightmare In Spiderland (Arachnophobia)
Ideal music for this map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Nw--_-N0g

Temple of Forgotten Gods (Hydrophobia)
Ideal music for this map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUSuwI5LbbU

The Sickness Without (Agoraphobia)
Ideal music for this map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95obkJqXj2c

Screenies for Spiderland soon but it looks EXTREMELY rough (and very brown) at present, and I'm working hard on a nice surprise for it. I might re-release this seperately as a ZDoom map with mist and rain. Oh, and I am working on a huge start area with loads of things to explore which aren't necessary if you want to complete the map quickly.

Temple of Forgotten Gods has been nothing less than a joy to work on. The main challenge comes from the environment rather than the enemies. I loved nearly every minute of this map. The "witch cave" didn't work out as I wanted, but alpha testers can help with that.

As for Sickness, I was originally going to have a brutal slaughter set in a city, but simply being injured by stepping outside (damaging floor sectors everywhere) seemed too trite to convey the suffering of a true agoraphobic, so the city is leering and distorted to nightmarish proportions. No doubt a lot of people won't understand that and may complain about the aesthetics so it's going to be quite difficult to strike the right balance. Also, I used the damaging sectors thing in Forgotten Gods where it was far more appropriate.

I haven't touched my map in a few months because I've been too busy with real life, and I'm going to be too busy to map for a couple months more the very least. After that...well I'm going to finish that map one day, whether this project is still going on or not because I like what I've got started.

@MajorRawne: Yay, this project is still showing some sign of life! You da' man Major. I glad to hear things are coming along with your levels. Lovin the track you are thinking about using for your levels. Do you know if they are available in midi form though. Keeping these levels as universal port friendly as possible is key here.

@Jodwin: looks like we are going for the long haul here, so no biggy.

As for my own situation, I've had my level play tested by a couple of people and I'm about finished enhancing it even more. I'll try to see if I can't get a title card up by the end of this week too!

On another note, I'll post up this level by pabloD that is quite unique in that there are no monsters. It actually serves as quite an awesome exploration map!
DOWNLOAD ISLOPHOBIA HERE!by pabloD

Can't speak for my own map, but we really have some quality entries up so far. Still see to many status unknowns here, so I would like to get that cleared up soon else ill have to go medieval PMing around here.

Thanks Fiend, I've got some midis :)

Can you put me down for map 29 as well even though we haven't got that far yet. I've always wanted to do a map 29. i'll find a phobia for it.

Screenshots of the early alpha of Nightmare in Spiderland. Vast tracts of land to explore, not very colourful or detailed yet, but as with Temple of Forgotten Gods this will be a high-detail map. It's nowhere near playable yet.

This first shot is all I have constructed of the start area leading into Spiderland. There is an optional area known as The Sink. Much of the opening area is just a place for exploration but there is quite a nasty assault if you choose to go for a fight. The map itself looks quite ugly in Doom Builder because I simply construct large areas very quickly so I know where things will be, then I go through each area one at a time tidying things up, but don't expect much neatness if you view most of my maps in Doom Builder.

The road to heaven is a road that has basically been reclaimed by the swamp. It leads to a research outpost. As with Alien Vendetta, this map is a large one with several environments to fight through (or explore, if you wish to avoid a pitched battle).

You can see from this shot that small portions of the map are highly intricate. Don't worry about those vast swathes of nothingness, they will be occupied.

Extra insurance that my monsters turn up where they're supposed to, but the second line is to catch anyone who didn't make it through the first teleporters (if it was blocked by other monsters or the player, for example). While this is over-insurance to make sure traps spring properly, caused by headaches with my Hell Knight teleporters in Rawnwood for the 1994 tune-up project, it injects a random element that monsters stand a small chance of hitting the second teleport line, which will beam them to a different destination.

EDIT: I just added a lot more monsters on UV.

Haha, those sectors of text are funny. You just don't see enough of the authors footnotes on maps these these days.

Also, referring to the last screenshot you posted, that teleporter seems like it could be buggy. Man I can go on and on about teleporter traps all day long, but I'll save you the trouble and point you to some good sources to learn from. In fact, my latest release from another project implements my most sophisticated/simple designs yet.

GOTO STANDALONE PROJECT -> EXTORTA MONTRA

Try checking it out in an editor. I implement all sorts of variations from insta-teleporters to delayed ones.

Thanks, I am hoping to get some more done on Saturday and maybe tomorrow night. I can't remember which map it was, but the author of one map I played actually had little arrows and even a "?" on parts of his map so I was inspired by that. I got the idea that your automap had somehow downloaded or hacked into a tour guide's map of the area. I had in mind one of those cliched American Midwest style tour guides, hence the informality. (And it's Doom, so the lettering had to look creepy.)

I also thought it would intrigue the player as all of the location names are visible on the map straight away (although the locations themselves are not shown until you get there). This also ties the map together, as the player might risk getting lost, so they can see the general direction in which they need to be heading.

The Spiderland map as a whole was inspired by an excellent B-movie type film called Man Thing. I think it's an Australian film but it's set in an American swampland. The monster is straight out of Lovecraft and it's one of the best creature feature films I've seen.

EDIT: I put far too much thought into my maps.

Right, I have nearly completed the research centre and I am now struggling to get the road to "fit" the flow of the map, as it is quite hard to justify why there is suddenly a road (with speed limit markings and passing points) in the middle of a swamp. This map is gonna take quite a long time to finish because there are three different themes which will need to be blended together like a Bob Ross sunset ;)

fiend-o-hell said:

2-Vanilla limit removing compatible ONLY (-complevel 9)(no boom,zboom, etc)

Does this mean -complevel 9 is allowed or NO -complevel 9 is allowed? -complevel 9 is Boom compatibility, but then you say no Boom. -complevel 2 would be Vanilla/ Vanilla+ (limit removing as you say).

Map 32 should combine all phobias in some way or another, map 31 should be Cyberphobia [as in Cyberdemons, not Computers (thanks Jimmy91!)] and map 33 should be Cacophobia as a joke, hence, it's hidden. (thanks again Jimmy91).

Map 30 should be Hadephobia, and make it really hellish but if you use the Icon of sin, make it an awesome Icon of Sin.
Example:
Awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbYmhTkeFb4

Not Awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NilocnB-jb0

@MajorRawne: you bring some interesting concepts to table. Sounds to me kind of like Grove which is more adventure oriented then anything else. It also implements that automap idea brilliantly. It sounds like a wad worth playing.

@Archy: -complevel 9 IS boom compatible isn't it? Than in that case just -complevel 2. We don't want any boom features showing up in the maps. I'll update this.

Also, I like those maps ideas, so I'll add them to the list!

fiend-o-hell, if you're serous about vanilla compatibility, request that ever map maker sends their maps with an LMP showing them getting all kills and secrets. Then play it back with Chocolate-Doom/-complevel 2 PrBoom+/ Vanilla Doom.

If it plays back correctly, then we know that there is no naughty HOM/VPO ready to kill gameplay - though of course HOMs/VPOs still may exist but hopefully not In a destructive place...

Also, while I have many ideas for this WAD, I won't bee sending in any maps, I've never edited a wad besides replacing midis, and no, I'm not a composer. I just rip cools midis from one WAD and then make a WAD full of various midis from many different WADs.

MAP 03 gets the fallowing error when played with Vanilla Doom and Boom 2.02:

R_TextureNumForName: STARTAN1- not found
With PrBoom-Plus-2.5.1.3, this level works fine on -complevel 9 (boom) but certain parts of the level won't work on -complevel 2.

This is a shame because the map is very well designed, I was quite impressed. Great music to, I love E2M6.

I'll make a list of music suggestions for the WADs later.

fiend-o-hell, if you want, I'll test each map and report any error messages I see under Vanilla Doom. I really like this WAD idea and would like to support it.

PS: This map is way to hard for map 03, make it map 26 or something.

MAP09 - Islophobia, get's the fallowing error when played with Doom2+:

R_ProjectSprite: invalid sprite frame 1 : -117380768
When played with Vanilla Doom (not plus) DOSBox 0.74 crashes, good thing I wasn't testing these on my real Win 98 machine...

Map works just fine on Boom 2.02 for DOS and therefor, should work just fine with PrBoom-Plus -complevel 9.

Suggestion: Maybe as an Easter egg, add hordes of monsters on skill 1/2?

MAP13 - Autophobia, gets the fallowing error when played with Vanilla Doom:

R_DrawPlanes: visplane overflow (129)
This probably means that many other R_DrawPlanes: visplane overflow errors could occur besides 129.

The error occurs as soon as I walk through the first door.

When played with Doom2+, I see some weird visual stuff (black lines occasionally coming up and down, appears to be at random but I know it isn't) and I get stuck in places I doubt I was intended to get stuck in (the black shadow spots). No error messages though. The most significant problem however is that the first switch does nothing, thus, the level can't be completed.

On PrBoom-Plus-2.5.1.3 -complevel 2, I don't get the weird visual stuff and all the switches work so completing the level is possible, however, I still sometimes get stuck when over the black shadow spots and sometimes when going though a door way, though strafeing left or right and then going forward once again always fixed the problem.

But anyways, great map, I loved the teleporting barrels ;)

PS: Not tested with Boom 2.02.

Thanks a lot for play testing Archy! Let me try to address all the issues you bring up:

Archy said:

fiend-o-hell, if you're serous about vanilla compatibility, request that ever map maker sends their maps with an LMP showing them getting all kills and secrets. Then play it back with Chocolate-Doom/-complevel 2 PrBoom+/ Vanilla Doom.

Hmm I think submission of an LMP is a bit much. Dunno, is that a common thing to do?
As for the the comp level, these maps should be limit removing only, so there is no need to adhere to strict vanilla/choco guidelines. Basically if it plays fine in prboom+ on -complevel 2, your good to go!
Based on this, I'll disregard the errors you posted playing on vanilla doom and boom (if you don't mind :).

Archy said:
Also, while I have many ideas for this WAD, I won't bee sending in any maps..."
[/B]

Play testing is just as essential as creating the map itself IMHO. If you have any music selection choices you'd like any of the maps to have, feel free to post. In fact, I don't think I gave mine (Map13 Auto) a track at all!

@Archy On MAP03 (Atephobia): I was also impressed by this map. Plays hard and more on the conventional side, but a fine one at that. I'll try to see if I can bump it up a slot to match it with the right difficulty level.

@Archy On Map09 (Islophobia): this map needs a little something else, like a few Easter eggs as you mentioned and as I have mentioned it to the author already. Maybe some more puzzles sprinkled here and there won't hurt much either.

@Archy On Map13 (Autophobia): I have addressed the issues you brought up about this map in the next update I'm about ready to release. I relieved to hear that you liked it!

Marnetmar said:

Map30 should totally be Coulrophobia.

Fear of clowns? But why? How would you make that work with stock doom resources?

fiend-o-hell said:

As for the the comp level, these maps should be limit removing only, so there is no need to adhere to strict vanilla/choco guidelines. Basically if it plays fine in prboom+ on -complevel 2, your good to go!

In that case, MAP 03 is still damaged as it does not work properly on
-complevel 2. And that error needs to be resolved even though it doesn't affect PrBoom-Plus.

Map 09 will be unplayable on many source ports do to it's massive error so that still needs to be resolved.

And I think you know what to do with Map 13.

Anyways, I'll stop testing with pure Vanilla Doom and start testing with Doom2+ and PrBoom-Plus -complevel 2.

PS: The compatibility level your referring to is called Doom 2+ (though just call it -complevel 2 so you don't confuse people), Doom2+ is Vanilla Doom with the removal of limits.

Examples of a Doom2+ wad:
Scythe 2
No Rest For the Living

Hey FoH, loving what you've done with Panophobia :P I have a small request if I may. May I please change my map from MAP06 Carnophobia to MAP33 Cacophobia? I'd have more fun with that one, since I've one too many mapper's block on my part.

Here's what I had so far on Carnophobia, if anyone feels like polishing it (ALOT).

http://www.mediafire.com/?1yo7wuo3ftkbu9i

Archy said:

PS: The compatibility level your referring to is called Doom 2+ (though just call it -complevel 2 so you don't confuse people), Doom2+ is Vanilla Doom with the removal of limits.

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't think I have ever come across Doom+ notation to refer to vanilla limit-removing. Makes a lot of sense actually. Initially I thought it was a port or something when you first mentioned it!

As for the map issues, I'll look into them and fix them myself.

@BloodyAcid: Hey! Yes of course I'll update your status! Also, I'll put Carnophobia down as unclaimed.

OK, so good news! I finally came up with a titlepic to represent this project. I'll post it here and at the top. Its simple and minimalistic, to the point that the head itself becomes a symbol...Something that is easily recognizable. At least that's my take on it. If its crap, I'll see what else I can come up with.

On a side note, I gave my own map for this project (Autophobia) another update.

DOWNLOAD AUTOPHOBIA v2 HERE!

Updates since beta:
-Altered the puzzle at the start of the level
-finally got rid of those quircky impassible lines inmiddle of the level
-optimized some triggers
-added a few visual enhancements
-added a new track

I think to give a little more effect, the helmet should be darker (shades of gray)