Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiend-o-hell

PANOPHOBIA - Community Project (Let's get this going again shall we! )

May redo bits of my map, if anyone could play through and tell me what parts they liked least that'd be helpful.

Thanks a bunch for the playthrough fiend, it was really informative. I actually never thought about skipping the first archives fight by just balls-to-the-wall punching the archie and rev to death to create a chokepoint: very clever. The only other thing I wanted to add to the map is more crushers to the mastermind/BFG room since as it stands you can get super unlucky in that fight due to the timing of the crushers... and maybe a couple monster rearrangements to make it trickier.

fiend-o-hell said:

Sure Death...um are you posting your revised map?

Well, I don't have a revised map yet, I was hoping to revise it after people said what they didn't like about it. (Unless they're already is stuff earlier in the topic and I just didn't check)

^ All fear-based maps have been filled. The "running scared" segments still have to be built, and the rules for those are as follows:

1)The level should not take longer then 5 minutes to beat
3)Outside area must be pitch black (brightness set to 25)
4)Instead of a sky use (flat MFLR8_4)
5)Use ROCKRED1 texture as your primary texture
6)The level should end with the next level's phobia written out for the player to see

Download the alpha for example maps.

I haven't forgotten about this project, hope no-one else has.

I haven't worked on my Doom maps for several months due to starting an intense new job and other real-life commitments. My maps were proving too complex and too frustrating to work on so I have spent the last couple of weeks playing the PSX TC and other classic levels so I can get my head around what makes a fantastic Doom level.

I may be able to do something about my working hours within a month or two, so finding time to map will not be such a problem. In the meantime I will try to do what work I can on my existing Panophobia levels.

I sent FOH my partially completed map a few weeks ago, but waiting for reply.

I'm not going to have loads of free time for a couple of months or so, but I am working on the following maps:

1. Welcome to Hell (Panophobia) - 90% done.
Erroneously called Welcome to Fear. Set the player start to the correct are. Currently making visual tweaks and expanding the upside-down area as the idea is too cool to relegate to such a small area. This is a very complex map so I am not wanting to get bogged down again.

2. Gillian's Island (Philophopbia - Fear of Love or Being Loved) - 20% done.
A new, small and brutal map, partially inspired by PSX Doom's The Marshes and a weird idea for a Deathmatch map I had in 1996.

3. Temple of Forgotten Gods (Hydrophobia/Aquaphobia - Fear of Water) - 90% done.
Set player start to correct area. The exit area's connection to the start area doesn't make a lot of sense and looks awful, including the ambush in the grey area. I may tweak the Cyberdemon fight.

4. Nightmare in Spiderland (Arachnophobia - Fear of Spiders) - 10% done.
Erroneously called Spider Island. Will take some elements from the original map, but am making an extremely scaled-down version which is basically a boss fight. Found some cool music for it too.

5. Acid Reign (Mnemophobia - Fear of Memories, i.e. Fear of the Past) - 75% done.
The latter half of the map needs a lot of work, some of it isn't even constructed yet. I've added an optional area which means something personal to me, so this won't translate for other people, so that needs work too.

Well, if anyone is still doing anything with this project, I have managed to resolve some real-life stuff which means that I will have a lot of time to work on these Doom maps.

The last map I spent a day on was Acid Reign and it is easily the best-looking map I've made so far. I'm adding secrets and trying to connect the optional area to the rest of the map.

Do we need more maps? If you want I could pull Inertia from the archives and have it as the Xylophobia map.

^ We still need more "Running Scared" segments which we listed above. Honestly, I think the entire mapset is kinda waiting on Major since he's contributing a whopping 5 maps which, personally, may be over his head. Link me to Inertia and I'll see what I think.

Okeydoke.

It's for Boom at the moment, but I could probably convert it to vanilla. It's also made entirely out of the Wood category textures. Even the sky. :P

^ Oh you are correct. I recall some of fiend's maps using some boom trickery, but I might just be misremembering. The Sigil uses Boom mapping for some linedefs so I think the OP just needs to be updated.

I gave a quick IDDQD through Inertia and it's... interesting. It has a wild layout and a lot of close encounters, but my only concern is that there's not a lot of meat to it. The maplist for this project is already uncanny as is, and I'm concerned that it will wind up being too niche for players, containing too many "flavored" maps. Inertia itself is detailed quite thoroughly so it does fit Xylophobia thematically, so I think we'll definitely keep it in mind if Major is unable to fill a slot.

Sorry, didn't realise I was holding things up so much. Three maps are virtually done and won't need much work except playtesting and balance. Will try to get Spiderland and Gillian's Island done in the next 2 weeks. Probably a month of solid work will see evwerything 100 per cent done.

Ok, Temple of Forgotten Gods (hydrophobia) is more or less completed. There are now just 2 or 3 HOMs to fix, one incorrect sector height and I need to sort the raised switch out during the Cyberdemon fight as you can hit it from ground level, which means you don't need to take a lift ride (and potentially a rocket in the back). I'm very happy with the music and aesthetics of the map and the gameplay was challenging and different from the norm. I completed the map in approximately 19 mins 15 secs so it's quite big.

I am ready to call Welcome To Hell (panophobia) finished as well and am happy with the music, visuals and gameplay.

I'm in the home stretch with my maps and for some relief, I have modified a couple of the "blank" Running Scared maps that Fiend wanted us to update. They're about 90% done. I am currently doing Running Scared Part 6.

New progress update. Looks like everybody else is either finished, or has lost interest.

Welcome to Hell (panophobia): 100% complete

Temple of Forgotten Gods (water): 95% complete

Acid Reign (past): 75% complete

Gillian's Island (love): 25% complete

Nightmare In Spiderland part 1 (spiders): 75% complete [last updated 04 Sept 2013]

Rapid-Fire Adagio - Spiderland part 2 (spiders): 25% complete

Running Scared map 5 update: 20% complete

Running Scared map 6 update: 5% complete

* The Running Scared maps are under the project title of SICK INFINITY. I am planning to amend all the remaining Running Scared maps.

Nightmare in Spiderland, with several large unfinished areas. The text shown in the picture appears on your automap when you start the level.

2nd Sept 2013 EDIT: Everything north and east of the ROAD TO HEAVEN text has been cut out to be modified and used in the second Spiderland map.

5 Sep 2013 EDIT: This is the final outline of the map. The map is up for alpha playtesting.
The map:
http://www.mediafire.com/?w3g7g123gt97k0a
The music:
http://www.mediafire.com/?o16loz310uor306

I'M NOT STARTING THIS. I originally posted this saying : Well i'm starting this. it might crash on DOS, because my fear is heights. Well, i'm not doing because I've got other submissions to do. :-(

I apologise for holding the project up. I am just getting over an extended period of illness.

* I am uploading my Panophobia maps one by one onto the forum for final playtesting/feedback. An insane amount of work has gone into these maps and in some cases the maps have exceeded my skill. I have forgotten how to add custom skies and music. The thread is here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/67018-my-maps-for-playtesting/

* I have struggled with all the Running Scared maps but should be done soon. I have tried to keep them short since they're the sideshow and not the main attraction.

* I've removed one of the Running Scared maps and replaced it with another map of my own. This isn't a conceit, it is the only logical way I could fit in all the maps I originally promised - I didn't know there would be a Running Scared map after each level. I have still managed to cram a Running Scared area into the consecutive maps and these follow the stated guidelines for Running Scared.

* I will upload a modified version of the Panophobia Alpha 2_6 wad once I have finished all the remaining maps. The "final" version that I will upload will be called [b]Panophobia Alpha 3[b/].

So the project is currently on the IV drip, but I'd really like to see it finished as it was closer to completion than not. I polished my two maps, including difficulties and most bugs, so they're essentially finalized (Download here). As my contributions to the project are out of the way, I'm curious what we have left to take care of (and by we, it's likely I'm talking about me & MajorRawne). I can handle a couple running scared segments if need be, and I'm fine with taking the head as project lead if fiend is MIA

OI was hoping nobody was going ro mention this project for a while. Something pretty bad has happened and I lost a couple of the Running Scared maps. They weren't 100% finished, I was trying to figure out a way to lead them into their next maps, and I lost a bit of time farting around trying to switch my map orders to fit a theme I had in mind, but I've abandoned that for the moment as I cannot seem to get the second Spider Island map finished (I curse the day I started on it!).

My Running Scared maps are short, basic outlines at present as I was focusing on Spider Island 2.

The Fear of the Past map is nearly done and now contains a few Final Doom references, but I'm trying to work out how to fit an e1m8 area in. Texturing and detailing on all my maps (apart from spider Island 2) are pretty much complete, they just need more playtesting.

If you could upload or PM to me your work so far that'd be great, since I could compile it into a new alpha/beta so we know where we're at (or you could do it yourself, as long as one of us gets at it). Even if some stuff is not complete, it's better to have an alpha of it stored online so it doesn't get annihilated like your running scared segments

Regarding all your work, I'd consider cutting off Spider Island pt. 2 as the project is currently waiting on around 4 of your other maps to be completed. Plus we don't have room for it (I'd rather stick with consistency than shoehorning your map in with a running scared segment), although if you're adamant about keeping it we could move it to MAP32.

So far our map list looks like:

MAP02 Welcome to Hell
MAP04 Spellbound
MAP06 Nightmare in Spiderland
MAP08 Temple of the Forgotten Gods
MAP10 Acid Reign
MAP12 Pain Consumes
MAP14 Blood Urge
MAP16 Sanguinary Chamber
MAP18 Meat Train
MAP20 Misfortune’s Playground
MAP22 Whispers in the Dark
MAP24 Ruin Me
MAP26 At the Mercy of Sin
MAP28 Vertigo Limit
MAP30 The Sigil
MAP31 Cacophobia

I believe I've bolded what's finished.

Your help is always appreciated Obsidian. All the new stuff we need now are the "Running Scared" segments between each map, which are quick levels that follow these rules:

1)The level should not take longer then 5 minutes to beat
3)Outside area must be pitch black (brightness set to 25)
4)Instead of a sky use (flat MFLR8_4)
5)Use ROCKRED1 texture as your primary texture
6)The level should end with the next level's phobia written out for the player to see

On the newest alpha (Download here) there's two examples of what the map should look like, and ideally we'd have it show the next following map you're going into, like in MAP03's segment. Rawne apparently has a couple, but feel free to design some for anyone else (unless they want claim a position). I'm designing segments for my two maps, and possibly one more. You're probably a good fit for these.

Temple of Forgotten Gods is about 98% complete, I just need to make final adjustments to make it Boom compatible, but this is probably half an hour's work.

I wanted Spider Island 2 to come straight after part 1 with no Running Scared between them - this is where I buggered up and lost an RS map, and I actually incorporated a short RS segment into the start of another map, but it somehow failed to save. Having an RS between every map severely limits the number of actual Panophobia maps.

When I get on my computer later today I'll play through every map and upload them all. Anyone who wants to build an RS map is welcome to do so, let me review what I've got and tell you how many RS slots are free.

This looks like a neat idea.

If I knew anything about adding custom things to Doom maps, I'd probably give this a go.

Although the fear I'd choose isn't related to spiders though.