Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiend-o-hell

PANOPHOBIA - Community Project (Let's get this going again shall we! )

Is just that time of the year for everyone Bloody...

Here are some screen pics for my up and coming Batophobia map (fear of tall buildings).

MajorRawne said:

Looking REALLY good. How do you fly up in the air?

Type "fly" into the command list (open this by pressing `)

Excellent, thanks! My "fear of the past" map is progressing heavily but I'm hampered by weird sector heights and sectors which are not correctly aligned to the grid. I had extensive problems with my 1994 tune-up map because of this. Why didn't people from the past do proper room heights... grumble, grumble...

What about levels based on Automatonophobia (fear of ventriloquist dummies and such) and Coulrophobia (fear of clowns)? Or maybe those can be reserved for a possible sequel?

The thing that's unique about the way I'm building Batophobia is that I threw line def alignment out the window and free handed most of the mapping. Scaling is a bit off in a lot of parts, but the end result is a non-symmetrical, more interesting effect in my opinion. The layout you see in the above pics was built up fairly quickly- in about 2 or 3 short build sessions- but its still barren at this point and a massive amount of detailing will need to be added before releasing (not to mention monster and item placement). I'll have this one out in a few weeks.

@Nightmare Doom: My concern for these specific phobias is that it will be to hard to depict them with stock Doom resources. Carnival music and such can only take you such a long way...

If there is ever a sequel, it'd be interesting to see what people can do when these restrictions are more lax, but as of this point, I don't plan on changing it for this version Pano.

I keep coming up with fears that I can't find names for, such as fear of the past, fear of leaving things unfinished and fear of confrontation.

I also had the idea of one of the secret maps being a semi-lighthearted theme such as fear of love or being unloved, expressed through a less than serious approach without being a crap joke map.

EDIT: I'm not doing another 25 maps for the sequel but I admire Fiend's almost totally unique vision for Doom and I will certainly be on the team if needed. I will make a sequel to one of the maps from Panophobia 1 and I'd like to use custom monsters.

New images of The House That Fear Built, some of them slightly utilitarian rather than exciting, but I don't want to give away many spoilers.

After playing through the excellent DTWID and reading Masters of Doom,I have modified my approach to mapmaking to be more consistent with id's original vision for Doom, so there are plenty of views linking separate areas. The map rewards exploration and is pretty non-linear with only a couple of exceptions which are more to keep the theme of the base becoming increasingly hellish than to provide a route for the player to follow.

Map is about 50% done, but the automap shot shows it in its unfinished state, hence the untidiness of the outdoor areas and the shitty corridor mazes on the left.

Archy said a long time ago:
This is a shame because the map is very well designed, I was quite impressed. Great music to, I love E2M6.

I'll make a list of music suggestions for the WADs later.

I Think the ideal music for most of the maps should be something very Doomy like this:
E1M5 - Suspense
E1M7 - Demons on the Prey
E1M8 - Sign of Evil
E2M6 - Sinister
LV28 - Getting Too Tense
pe4_dt2:U4M2 - Return to the Abyss
pe4_dt2:U4M7 - The Unholy Ages
ExMend - Victory Music (don't think we could get this one in there but it shows the style I think would fit)
(I also think the default title music would be perfect for this wad)

All are played off the of the standard Microsoft GM soundfont because that's what most people use and we don't want to give a false impression of the awesomeness of the music. Anyways, make it really Doomish for most of the levels, and I think we need a few sad pieces in there to like Mist Ache and I think we should avoid really heavy rock songs like this.

While I was thinking of those doomy songs, I wrote a lot about music here, check out the Hell Revealed 2 songs, they're listed as H2xx, like H219. While does songs are pretty heavy, I still think they might fit into this wag on certain levels.

However, I think the ultimate decision on what music should be used for each level should be left up to the creator of that level. We also need a few oddball songs and we need the make sure that the midi for that level plays all the way through before the average player can reach the exit.

Anyways, I haven't forgotten about this project, just been really busy. I'll continue to test maps and make sure they're complevel 2 (limit removing) compatible.

I'm not sure If I'll be able to get anyone to agree with me here but I think one of these two images would be a great intermission screen:

They're from a Rider-Waite tarot deck.

This or this would also be a great intermission screen:

Not to sure how it would look after pixelation though...

ducon said:

And in the Doom palette.

Oh god didn't even think of that...

MAP13 - Autophobia, has something very strange about it. While I was testing it (it works perfectly under a limit removed vanilla doom) I started recording an LMP and every-time I played it back, it desynched.

I've had other maps in the past do this and I used to know the reason but I forgot why.

It's pretty important that this gets fixed because one of the main reasons PWADs are so fun it the competition between different players.

Once I have some info on that causes desynches, I'll report back.

Edit: Read this and this.

MAP15 - Atephobia, still needs to be converted from -complevel 9 to -complevel 2.

MAP20 - Carnophobia, is another -complevel 9 wad.

On MAP09 - Islophobia, for some reason I can't walk at all without idclip when using doom2+, no -complevel 9 issue though.

MajorRawne said:

I keep coming up with fears that I can't find names for, such as fear of the past, fear of leaving things unfinished and fear of confrontation.

I also had the idea of one of the secret maps being a semi-lighthearted theme such as fear of love or being unloved, expressed through a less than serious approach without being a crap joke map.

Haha, loving those fears. For the fear of the past, you just gave me this idea of revisiting duplicate sectors but with different encounters. I actually might take this one up!

MajorRawne said:

New images of The House That Fear Built, some of them slightly utilitarian rather than exciting, but I don't want to give away many spoilers...

I don't I have remarked on this before, but the title "The House that Fear Built" is simply superb, which brings me to my next point, should we stick to strictly using the phobia name, or an actual cool sounding title. I'm leaning towards the preference for both actually (ie "The House that Fear Built (Atephobia)").

@Archy: in terms of music direction, Doom tracks should definitely be the inspiration here and your selection is particularly dark, foreboding, and sullen. At this point, I really don't know where I want to go with the music. I really want to look outside of Doom inorder to enhance the uniqueness of Pano as much as possible. Ideally, the track should be consistent in theme. I'll do a little more investigation on my own and post something up soon to provide a little more direction!

As for the images you posted, there a bit more on the satanic side, which is to specific of a theme. And I have some concern for the pixellation and pallete conversion too.

It seems I still haven't gotten around to fixing the complevel 2 issues with the maps. Thanks for addressing them. I'll definitely get moving on that front soon!

Fiend: Thanks, but if you haven't noticed I gave all my maps "real" names besides their phobia names ;)

Also, "the house that fear built" IS fear of the past, because it's an old map updated with plenty of references to Doom, Doom 2 and one or two more popular megawads. It would be cool to have two different fear of the past maps, because then we could compare the same thing depicted in our totally different styles!

Off topic, I have had to go part-time at work to cope with my fiction commitments. One of my prospectives is a stalker novel where a girl is stalking a bloke, and the bloke's female friend takes him to meet a woman who dealt with a stalker many years ago. Every chapter in the novel has an evocative title, such as "Research and Developments," "Predestination" and "As If You Can Hear Me."

In "The House That Fear Built," our hero finds the woman has turned her home into a fortress and she is a total shell of a person. When he asks her how she dealt with her stalker, she says that she killed him.

I also have some interest in two proposed Lovecraft Mythos novels, "When The Stars Came Right" and its sequel, "The Resistance." I am currently trying to find out how things would stand from a copyright and legal standpoint, since I am hoping to use some stuff that comes from Delta Green: a Modern Warfare style split between the American Delta Green organisation and the British Pisces.

EDIT: What the hell is all this complevel stuff anyway?

MajorRawne said:

EDIT: What the hell is all this complevel stuff anyway?

A -complevel is the compatibility level of a WAD.
Here's a list:
0 Doom.exe v1.2
1 Doom.exe/Doom2.exe v1.666
2 Doom.exe/doom2.exe v1.9
3 Ultimate Doom v1.9 and Doom95
4 Final Doom's doom2.exe v1.9
5 Dosdoom .47
6 Tasdoom.exe
7 Boom's compatibility mode
8 Boom v2.01
9 Boom v2.02
10 LxDoom v1.4.x
11 MBF
12 PrBoom v2.03beta
13 PrBoom v2.1.0
14 PrBoom v2.1.1-2.2.6
15 PrBoom v2.3.x
16 PrBoom v2.4.0
17 Latest PrBoom-plus
-1 Current Prboom-plus

This is a "Vanilla limit removing compatible ONLY (-complevel 2)(no boom,zboom, etc)" WAD, meaning that only -complevel 2 is exceptable. This does not mean that it must work with Vanilla Doom, but it means that it must work with Vanilla Doom's engine principles. A quick way to test to see if a demo is -complevel 2 or not is to run it in Doom2+, which is a modified version of Vanilla Doom that's identical to Vanilla Doom except engine limitations are removed but the engine's principle functions remain.

Now of course it's still has limitations, but those limitations are far reduced.

-------------------------------------------------------
limit                         : old    * k   = new
visplanes[MAXVISPLANES]       : 128    * 8   = 1024
drawsegs[MAXDRAWSEGS]         : 256    * 8   = 2048
SAVEGAMESIZE                  : 180224 * 16  = 2883584
activeplats[MAXPLATS]         : 30     * 256 = 7680
vissprites[MAXVISSPRITE]      : 128    * 8   = 1024
linespeciallist[MAXLINEANIMS] : 64     * 256 = 16384
openings[MAXOPENINGS]         : 16384  * 4   = 65536
Your WAD, Carnophobia, is a -complevel 9 (BOOM v2.02) WAD. I'll upload an image pointing out the -complevel 9 issues, so you know what to fix.

This switch can only be activated on -complevel 9, it needs to activate on -complevel 2.

Here's where the switch is located:

Also, when this WAD starts in Doom2+, it displays this error:

R_FlatNumForName: BROWNHUG not found

Thanks, I'll review the map. I usually build them using Doom Builder 2's Boom format, but this map was created by someone else and I haven't fiddled with it yet (except to add a huge cityscape).

OFFTOPIC QUESTION

Archy: I'd like to ask that what's compatibility level of the "Doom" and the "Doom 2" format in Doom Builder 2?

That would depend a lot more on the complexity of the map than anything else, as it only comes with the Doom(2).exe v1.9 features. If you're within all of the limits, then it's compatible for complevel 2 or 3 (depending on game used) I'd have said.

I'm finally finished with Batophobia (aka Vertigo Limit). It is likely to be the last map that I will contribute to this project. I tested it only on PrBoom+ -complevel 2, but it seemed to run fine in zdoom (& derivatives). Its probably easy to break and riddled with all kinds of bugs, so please leave some demos behind for me to analyze. Screenies and DL link below!

DOWNLOAD VERTIGO LIMIT (BATOPHOBIA) BETA RIGHT NOW!

I still have to attend to my previous PANO map and work on those Archy bugs.

Hope to see more mapping done out there for this!

Woah! Looks really epic, and somewhat lags my Skulltag. Really well done FOH

I'll look into the new map, fiend-o-hell. Prepare to be bombarded with error reports ;)

Already found an error, this shows up on start up with Doom2+:

R_TextureNumForName: S200MB800- not found
Wiki says this is caused by "A map sidedef or internal animated texture definition references a texture which is not defined by the TEXTURE1/TEXTURE2 lumps."

BloodyAcid said:

Woah! Looks really epic, and somewhat lags my Skulltag. Really well done FOH

Thanks. Skulltag in general is a laggy port. I recommend zdoom or PrBoom for this one.

Archy said:

Already found an error, this shows up on start up with Doom2+:

R_TextureNumForName: S200MB800- not found
Wiki says this is caused by "A map sidedef or internal animated texture definition references a texture which is not defined by the TEXTURE1/TEXTURE2 lumps."

Isn't Doom2+ for all intents and purpose a vanilla clone with some extended limits? From the looks of it, its having trouble accepting a new patch. In any case I'm sorry to say its an outdated port. I designed the map with PrBoom+ (a descendant of Doom+) using "Vanilla Doom's engine principles" (aka -complevel 2).

Damn it Jim, I'm a mapper, not a port wizard. PrBoom+ is the standard nowadays so I use that!

I get mild lag with ZDoom too, but it's much more playable.

Holy crap! That's one of the best user made levels I've ever seen! Definitely my favorite of Panophobia so far. The sense of height here was amazing.

The music was very well fitting to, I loved it. Makes we want to play Alien Vanguard right now, despite the fact that that's not one of my preferred WADs. The sky is wonderful as-well.

Just some suggestions though:
Lay off on the lost souls, it got very annoying being pushed off into the damaging floor far far below.

This floor is ugly:

Could you put a little less spawning mancubi here? That would be real pain for UV-MAXers.

The floor to this pit of death (well, there is that one teleporter ;) I think should be a little different then well, a normal floor...

I think there should be one-two more Energy cell packs here:

Now it's time for another error, but not the type of error I typically report. Many times I walked through this part (the part with the Soul sphere ), the platform with the Pinky Demons didn't raise.

Now these are all subjective thoughts and if you as the WAD author don't agree with them, buy all means, don't implement them.