Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiend-o-hell

PANOPHOBIA - Community Project (Let's get this going again shall we! )

Hey fiend, I was burning some midnight oil and did a few fixes to Sanguinary Chamber for the alpha. Updated version here.

I swapped out a handful of monsters and made a nasty exit surprise for speedrunners that I'll have to probably tweak. AVs are also free and loose, and I think they're timed okay, but others might think it's too harsh. Please let me know if they pop in too late or too early. Also, a stupid amount of detail has been added to more rooms... only got the red key switch room to go, and some ceiling tweaking for the outside. It's near completion, like 85% or so.

Hiyas. I noticed you guys needed a few more maps, so I whipped up a quick something if you're interested.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2zgyy4s61mcr7u1

It's the fear of the number 13. It might be a bit small, but I tried using 13 monsters in the best way I could. X-D I don't have any music for it as of yet.

Here are the final versions of Aquaphobia and Panophobia along with their music and text files. This concludes my contribution to the project and I can now have a life again!! ;)

Map 01: Welcome to Hell [Panophobia]
Music: Everdream by Nightwish
Agoraphobia, demophobia (fear of crowds), claustrophobia, lygophobia (fear of darkness), acrophobia (fear of heights), aquaphobia, necrophobia, dementophobia (fear of insanity), hematophobia (fear of blood) and carnophobia (fear of meat).

http://www.mediafire.com/?58inyt096dwj5fs,gqtcl1m1j6mwbhu,czsfvzj2e5j6ihq

Map XX: Temple of Forgotten Gods [Aquaphobia]
Music: "Tower of Stars" from Chrono Cross

http://www.mediafire.com/?vp47fga8ys45ymb,g05z2886v350l05

EDIT: Seriously, FUCK Mediafire.

Sorry folks. Came down with a bad case of the stomach flu yesterday, but I'm feeling much better today. I have the day off from work today, so I'll spend a good chunk of my day preparing the next compilation. I'm glad to see most of you pulling through and submitting something yesterday.

Oh, and for any levels that are missing a track, I'll be selecting them for you.

@Major: thanks for the updates Major! I'll check them out in a bit. Testing in zdoom was probably a reason you didn't catch some bugs that cropped up under prboom.

@BloodyAcid: glad to hear Meat-Train is coming along!

@Dobug: Still not so sure about beta or final. I'll leave up to you guys to decide if the final product I make is worthy of being called a final release. And thanks for Sanguinary Chamber update!

@Obsidian: I'll give your map a look-see and get back to you.

Major: Check the starting position of your maps; you pit the player in the middle of both maps.

Obsidian: Neat concept, tough as hell though. Most players (myself included) suck at punching 4 revs to death with a berserk, especially with no health given to rectify mistakes. I understand the idea of given a RL after a couple of switches to help provide an alternate attack method, but then it becomes a nightmare to deal with the frequently teleporting AVs... it is a short level so it's difficulty is somewhat excusable, but I'd like to see at least a megasphere thrown down at the start. And I'm not sure how I feel about the AVs, as they move too quickly to be considered fun targets in my book. Cyber battle is pretty witty though.

dobugabumaru said:

Obsidian: Neat concept, tough as hell though. Most players (myself included) suck at punching 4 revs to death with a berserk, especially with no health given to rectify mistakes. I understand the idea of given a RL after a couple of switches to help provide an alternate attack method, but then it becomes a nightmare to deal with the frequently teleporting AVs... it is a short level so it's difficulty is somewhat excusable, but I'd like to see at least a megasphere thrown down at the start. And I'm not sure how I feel about the AVs, as they move too quickly to be considered fun targets in my book. Cyber battle is pretty witty though.

Excellent feedback. :-) It is pretty darn difficult to punch Revenants to death, I'll give you that. I find the difficulty lies in getting clocked in the back of the head by homing missiles personally. Maybe I could have some pillars to hide behind.

I picked the Archies due to their long attack phase, so that's when you hit them with a well-placed rocket. I guess they might be a bit tricky to hit, but I'm not sure what I should replace them with. I love using Archies. :(

And yeah, health is a bit scarce. Howzabout I throw in a Soulsphere at the place where you get the red key? Let me know what you think.

Obsidian said:

I find the difficulty lies in getting clocked in the back of the head by homing missiles personally.

Nah, I'm a keyboard player, and a huge part of the difficulty lies in not getting shot in the face when approach them for a pounding. Column would help to destroy stray bullets, and protect from the archviles in the latter phases, especially when he calls the bruiser bros in.

I'm thinking that maybe you could reverse the order: 4 HKs teleport in the beginning, followed by revs when the switches are hit. HKs are easier to deal with IMO, and you wouldn't need to put a column in for protection, keeping the arena the same. Plus the player would have a couple more rockets (possibly) to deal with the AV + barons, which was the hardest part for me to get through my first time (due to low rockets). And I advocate for megasphere/soulsphere at the start in order to buffer the player right out of the gate.

Essentially I think it's a fine mini-arena, the problem is that you have to end up balancing the level to fit the other levels in the compilation. Dunno where this will go slot-wise, but I still feel punching 4 revs with a berserk and teleporting AVs is still too much overall. You can wait for some more feedback, because maybe I just suck at doing that :P

It was a fun little map Obsidian. It seems like it would fit better in the early stages do to how short it is. Difficulty wise its tough, but beatable. I can see how keyboard players can have problems with it, so you should tone it down for the lower difficulty settings. At this point, nobody should give NM mode any consideration since we are so strapped for time right now.

Thanks dude. The only snag is that you need to start the map fresh, otherwise the map isn't nearly as good. I dunno if it'd work as the first map, but maybe it could be map 11 with map 10 having a suicide exit.

Ah FFS, all the major things are fixed and the little basics are overlooked. I'm not at home tonight, I'll upload them tomorrow afternoon.

BloodyAcid said:

Btw, is there a slot open for fear of blood or no?

I believe Sanguinary Chamber has that slot. You could do fear of the colour red though.

Well, here is the long awaited alpha version 2 I've been promising since a while ago. At this point, most of the levels are underdeveloped and its looking more and more like the best we can do is a beta release by Holloween if all goes well.

I spent a good chunk of yesterday and today working on it, and its the best I could come up with. For anybody who gets a chance to play, give it a go post here to let the mappers know what you think!

DOWNLOAD PANOPHOBIA ALPHA 2

Change Log:
-------------
Updated Maps
Map Name To Version
02 Welcome to Fear MajorRawne 1
06 SpiderIsland MajorRawne 2
08 Water God MajorRawne 2
10 House that Fe. MajorRawne 2
12 Pain Consumes Death Egg 5.5
14 Blood Urge FoH & PRIMEVAL 2
16 Sanguinary Ch. Dobugabumaru 1
20 Misfortune's. Obsidian 2
24 Ruin Me Magnifient Bea. 2
30 The Sigil Dobugabumaru 2

In addition to the updates mentioned above
-Reordered Maps
-Implemented "Running Scared" intermission maps with 2 of them complete. More are on the way...
-complete audio track replacement
-4 new maps; "Welcome to Fear", "Sanguinary Chamber", "Misfortune's Playground", and "At the Mercy of Sin"

Nice work on the alpha fiend, I really like the idea of the Running Scared segments to serve as intermissions between the levels, and to beef up map number to make it a full 32-level megawad. Plus they're pretty creative little segments. Couple things.

- MAP15 is listed as Hemophobia, where it should be Erythrophobia.

- Are you planning on having the each Running Scared level reveal the next area at the end? I think it'd be a fantastic idea, although they take quite a while to do. But it helps to set the mood.

- You need to remove the textures on the ceiling at the text sections to make only the ground light up.

- MAP15 could have a secret exit to Cacophobia (normally just leading to Erythrophobia), and then MAP31 leads into MAP32's Running Scared that leads to Erythrophobia

- MAP29 is titled "Bossphobia", but I think a better name for it would be "Nostophobia", or the fear of returning home. Found that fear on a list and thought it fit the Sigil to a T.

- Map order might need to be tampered with still, since I think it's better to spice up the gameplay than group similar maps/authors together. For instance you have Major's maps all near the start, but doing that could tire the player out on his style. Plus it should have a natural difficulty curve IMO.

Other than that, I'm excited to see how the intermissions shape out. I'd like to help you out but I'm trying to focus all my efforts on finishing my levels. If you need feedback on anything lemme know, as it looks like you've made quite a lot of progress on Blood Urge and your new map At the Mercy of Sin.

Also, I think "Misfortune's Playground" gives off more of a terrifying atmosphere than "TH1RT33N", but I guess it's up to Obsidian.

Major, are you still going to submit your spider and fear of the past maps?

I love who made Spellbound. It's just so...awesome. X-D

@dobugabumaru Good point, but I'm not sure how "Misfortune's Playground" has much to do with triskadekaphobia. I will admit that my idea is a bit cheesy though.

At this point, FoH's probably lost all hope in me for this. Oh god. As I was working from the old Carnophobia, I see all these errors and ugly flaws ALL OVER MY MAP ARRGGGHHHHH.

Before:
http://i.imgur.com/zSTFf.png
http://i.imgur.com/WcFgq.png

After:
http://i.imgur.com/puEMV.png
http://i.imgur.com/NqWSo.png

I need some help with the layout though and some advice on more meatish areas, I'm crap at that (as apparent in second shot). I think I can get a working map by Tuesday/Monday night~

@Dobug: Thanks! I had no idea how the Running Scared segments would go down so I'm glad someone accepts it at this point. I am planning on revealing part of the next level near the exit like on MAP03. I did'nt do it for MAP01 because I feel "Welcome to Fear" needs a bit of a tune up in the visual department.

I like all your suggestions and I'll implement them all for sure in the next coming days!

@Obsidian: I thought up of the title cuz 13 is by and large considered a misfortunate number and the way the Archviles interact with the level make me think of a play ground. A fitting name if I do say so myself :-)

And pabloD, the mapper for Spellbound, is quite the accomplished fellow. Check out his other works on the archives if you need to get your Doom on.

@BloodyAcid: How could I loose hope in Meat-Train! Especially after those sexy after pics! What exactly do you need advice in?

Good point. "Misfortune's Playground" it is! :-)

I'll see if I can make another map for this, maybe something a little techbasey: it's something I need to practice at. I'll let you know when I've got something presentable.

PS: 250TH POST BITCHES! I just had to do that. :)

I just wanted to say that if you can find a midi (or have one made) that matches my level more, go for it. (Never was good at matching midi's with maps) Oh, and what's the MAP02's midi from? I really like it. (Could stand to loop better though)

What's the new deadline to submit fear of the past? I'm happy with the way Welcome to Hell looks and don't want to tweak anything else, I'm done with it.

MajorRawne said:

What's the new deadline to submit fear of the past?

I think the beta deadline (Oct. 31st) is when all maps should be pretty much be beatable from start to finish. From there it's just constant playtesting to ensure it's actually fun and balanced, and maybe some detail adding. If Obsidian is going to submit another map, you can probably take a breather and let go of working on the Spider map Major... but that's if Obsidian does get a map in. I'd shoot for getting your fear of the past map in by then.

Also, you still need to submit the correct starts to both your maps so I can playtest them.

In other news, I should be mostly done with Sanguinary Chamber tonight, as the only thing that'll need to be added is difficulties (something I'm not working on until I know how my map fares on UV).

What exactly do you need advice in?

I suck ass at layout. I can detail pretty damn decently and set traps here and there but I can't create a flowing map to save my life.

Bloody, I would suggest that you just finish detailing the level at this point and establish the goals and game play mechanics later. I dunno about others here, but I like the level's environment, imagery, and feel to dictate the level's mission objectives. I like to think of those two elements- the level and the game play- as two separate layers that can be superimposed one over the other without really effecting each other to much. If you take a look at MAP14: Blood Urge, I'm just basically working on detailing at this point. Getting the level's environment right is the most important aspect of mapping at least in my mind.

Ok, the beta release will have to get pushed back to the weekend. You see, during the week I'm forced to work on a labtop that significantly reduces the speed at which I can map and compile. Sorry folks, but at least this way we can release a good quality mega-wad and not some half-assed product. I'm really liking how things are coming together too! I'm starting to play each map in depth all the while taking down notes so look forward to my comments in the coming days and weeks ahead!

Sanguinary Chamber is now finished, with 100% more needless details.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?14so2eq9kc2u4oc

Everything is all set for playtesting, lemme know if there's any bugs, also if there's too much health (I found it pretty easy to exit with 200/200). No difficulties implemented yet. Changes:

- I finished the red key switch room
- Made the outside cave more red and craggily
- Altered the AV teles a tad, minor monster/item adjustments

Working on the Sigil now. I might not be done with it by the time the beta comes out FYI, although I'm working as often as I can. When you're compiling the beta just let me know fiend, and I'll throw what I have finished your way.