Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Hexen: vanilla or ZDoom?

Which do you think it's better for making maps? Plain Hexen, or powered by ZDoom? I'm asking because I'm really not sure what kind of mod to start... For example, vanilla Hexen already has lots of features ZDoom has. I could make something powerful without needing a port. On the other hand, ZDoom would let me add new monsters, weapons and a few more mapping gimmicks (GZDoom 3d floors) but are they really important?

Zdoom has most if not all features vanilla Hexen did but Zdoom has more features and its easier to define new actors and the acs has more actions than hexens. Also Gzdoom has even more features like dynamic lights, angled 3d floors, fog and fade effects are a lot better than zdooms and you also your textures are not limited with the palette

I also find mapping for Zdoom easier if im not having to do acs

TL:DR Zdoom and Gzdoom are more advanced and easier to use I recommend those.

I prefer making zdoom powered maps for the easy adding of features that would otherwise be hard to add when there is a need to make acs scripts for them with vanilla.

Vanilla Hexen can suffer from visplane overflow (the limit is a bit higher than DOOM, 160 visplanes) and this limit can be a huge pain when mapping. For that reason alone I personally would target a "limit removing" Hexen port.

andrewj said:

Vanilla Hexen can suffer from visplane overflow (the limit is a bit higher than DOOM, 160 visplanes) and this limit can be a huge pain when mapping. For that reason alone I personally would target a "limit removing" Hexen port.

Is there a "ravenrenderlimits" port available?