Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mbrown

Other old school FPS games you play & enjoy

What other oldschool FPS (non-Doom engine) games do you enjoy in solo (or coop) play?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What other oldschool FPS (non-Doom engine) games do you enjoy in solo (or coop) play?

• Serious Sam: TFE/TSE
    • Serious Sam II
    • Serious Sam 3: BFE
    • Quake
    • Quake II
    • Duke Nukem 3D
    • Blood
    • Shadow Warrior
    • Unreal (the original, from 1998)
    • Half-Life
    • Other (please specify with comment)

While I'm a huge fan of Doom (and even many of its derivatives), there are many other FPS games I spend or have spent a lot of time on.

I am definitely one for the "old style" shooter - it all started going downhill for me, frankly, around Half Life. As a result the games on this list are older than Half Life, with the sole exception of the Serious Sam games, as their very intent is to bring back the days of "shoot it if it moves".

So - what other games from the old school of FPS gaming to you like and play a lot?

This is set up for multiple choices - so choose all the ones you like and feel free to comment! :)

fraggle said:

Serious Sam is "old school" now? Oh dear.

Old school refers to style of gameplay, not release date necessarily.

Kirby said:

Half-Life

That's when things started to get a bit mission based/story driven, which is why it's not on the list.

But I left the other option there partly for anyone who liked a not strictly old school gameplay (and elsewise partly for a good old school game I didn't list directly - Outlaws, Dark Forces, for instance).

BTW of all the ones I listed, my very favorite is Duke 3D.

other: Hired Guns (Amiga version)

It's not a "fluid" 3D shooter like Doom, but rather more of a realtime dungeon crawler like Dungeon Master but with guns, cool gear, 4-player coop mode, puzzles, exploration, lots of missions, weird alien/giger style monsters... The engine is full 3D with lifts, stairs, and you can even lob grenades down to lower ground, or go underwater. It doesn't take itself completely seriously because in one of the missions you fight lemmings (yeah Psygnosis also published THAT game too). There's no in-game music, but the Amiga version's sound fx more than make up for that (they're atmospheric and location based, like in Quake). The coop mode is not networked but rather like early console games where you all huddle around the same monitor and control your own dude (that you can choose from about a dozen types, each with their own pros & cons), as the screen is actually split in 4 views/quadrants. Now and then some (often humorous) message relevant to the game scrolls across the middle of the screen. There's an automap. Sometimes you fight lots of monsters at the same time. :)

baronofheck82 said:

Heretic and Hexen for the win.
EDIT: 100TH post \o/

They're Doom derivitaves, I'm primarily focused on other engines.

I do think Heretic deserves more love than it gets though.

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

It`s just an amazing game, even if the graphics look slightly worse than doom because of the early, blocky 3D models (that I still like for some reason).
It has almost the same speed as doom and the modding possibilities are almost endless. The level editor is extremely similiar to Doom Builder, but you can change the perspective of the map layout to add rooms over rooms.

As a note, those who voted when only one option was choosable should be able to revote with multiple options now.

Random thoughts/comments and a question or two here:

No One Lives Forever (and 2), I'm not sure if that's quite what I call old school in gameplay, but they're certainly games I've played and enjoyed (and admittedly they're not modern style either, sort of in between).

Actually haven't played the LucasArts games yet (sadly not a big fan of Star Wars), though I do own Jedi Knight I and II. Also I don't like Hexen as much as Heretic (too many puzzles and seemed rushed to me).

Also I'm a little surprised no Quake-haters have shown up here yet (per the votes).

BTW if you can't get Duke or Blood to work anymore (seems to be a common problem with newer OS's) they're available with optimized set up for just $6 each on gog.com - they work great for me with Win7.

Finally, is there anywhere I can get Outlaws at? That one looks interesting.

ps The "Other" option is meant to be checked if you have another game to note, regardless of what else you've chosen. Not a big deal but just wanted to clarify it's intended for that purpose.

mbrown said:

Also I'm a little surprised no Quake-haters have shown up here yet (per the votes).

I don't think any of those exist on here. Just lots of people who prefer Doom.

mbrown said:

Old school refers to style of gameplay, not release date necessarily.

Still doesn't make it old school.

kristus said:

Still doesn't make it old school.

The SS2 and SS3 options could be changed to something like Dark Forces/Outlaws/N.O.L.F. then, if you'd like.

TFE and TSE are legitimately 10 years or so old however.

Mexican Doomguy said:

I love the Serious Sam franchise. I can't wait for the third game.
Could you imagine a battle between Doomguy, Duke Nukem and Serious Sam?

Who will win?

Wow, why are you not starting a whole new thread about this?

Mexican Doomguy said:

Could you imagine a battle between Doom Guy, Duke Nukem and Serious Sam?

You forgot Master Chief and Ranger. :P

On topic... I miss playing Blake Stone. :(

Mexican Doomguy said:

I love the Serious Sam franchise. I can't wait for the third game.

It's already out.

Also really more a battle between Sam and Duke. They have the bad*** attitude. Doom has no voice acting hence no attitude.

Mexican Doomguy said:

Could you imagine a battle between Doomguy, Duke Nukem and Serious Sam?

Who will win?

Seriously now, there's no competition there. Nuke and Sam wouldn't even be able to see Doomguy since he's so fast. Master Chief even less so.

mbrown said:

Also really more a battle between Sam and Duke. They have the bad*** attitude. Doom has no voice acting hence no attitude.

Except he has one in the comic. All other times he's too busy ripping and tearing.

Also, you can type "ass" on here. No one cares.

Jodwin said:

Seriously now, there's no competition there. Nuke and Sam wouldn't even be able to see Doomguy since he's so fast. Master Chief even less so.

Even if they could see Doomguy he'd be stunned about their attitudes.

I'd more envision Sam and Nuke in a pissing contest, seeing who could out-bad*** the other in the end.

Chose Blood and Unreal, though I haven't played either for years. They were both great games.

Added Half-Life, since there's no reason to exclude it if you are including Quake 2 and Unreal.

Vordakk said:

No one's mentioned SiN or ROTT.

Going to give SiN another shot some day, I had a 2gb hard-drive when it came out so kept having to uninstall it.