Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t.v.

2 more PrBoom editing questions

Question 1:
Is it possible to end the game after map 11? If so how? My project Harmony only has 11 maps and I don't want the player to be able to proceed any further.
I want my wad to be read as an iwad btw. This works only if I add filler maps. and I don't want these filler maps to be reach-able.

Question 2:
Can I alter the messages that appear after the player selects Quit game. The messages are rude and refer to MS-DOS. If so how? I cannot find them in the Dehacked file :-/

thanks again!

t.v. said:

Question 1:
Is it possible to end the game after map 11?

No, unless you directly patch the source code to explicitly handle Harmony as its own game with its own mission format. It'd be a little bit more complicated than merely adding it to the list of autodetected IWADs.

Best you can do is make a MAP12 that's empty. You could do like in Raiding the Dam and just have big empty room with "THE END." written in sector geometry. (Mosh pit optional.)

You'd have better luck using a ZDoom-like approach (MAPINFO) with Eternity instead of PrBoom+. Of course there are other problems you'd run into with it... I don't remember EE having support for scaling sprites.

Gez said:

(Mosh pit optional.)

Huh? Most similar to a mosh-pit is the E1M8 ending :P

Gez said:

You'd have better luck using a ZDoom-like approach (MAPINFO) with Eternity instead of PrBoom+. Of course there are other problems you'd run into with it... I don't remember EE having support for scaling sprites.

It does. You can set xscale and yscale via EDF :)

printz said:

Huh? Most similar to a mosh-pit is the E1M8 ending :P

esselfortium said:

It does. You can set xscale and yscale via EDF :)

Good to know, thanks. Though I think t.v. would prefer to set it through dehacked.

I'm fairly certain it should be possible to set the scale modifications in EDF using thingdelta, without having to redo or duplicate any of the existing dehacked code.

Note that if a WAD contains both Dehacked and EDF, it's Dehacked which will overwrite any EDF delta modification for the same object.

t.v. said:

Question 2:
Can I alter the messages that appear after the player selects Quit game. The messages are rude and refer to MS-DOS.

This might work: call your iwad "doom2f.wad" and then PrBoom will think it is the French version and will not show those quit messages.

printz said:

Note that if a WAD contains both Dehacked and EDF, it's Dehacked which will overwrite any EDF delta modification for the same object.

Not for fields that aren't available to DeHackEd. DeHackEd isn't aware of xscale or yscale, so it won't change them.

Why not just rename the last map in your wad to map30 and point the exit from the second last map to map30, would that even work?

Avoozl said:

Why not just rename the last map in your wad to map30 and point the exit from the second last map to map30, would that even work?

You can't do that with Vanilla Doom or Boom. Only ports (or HeXen and Strife) with more advanced modding features can control level progression (i.e Doomsday, ZDoom etc)

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Best you can do is make a MAP12 that's empty. You could do like in Raiding the Dam and just have big empty room with "THE END." written in sector geometry. (Mosh pit optional.)

It is not optimal, but indeed a map like that seems like the best option right now.

Well I'm making it for prboom now. It doesn't allow scaling of sprites so I had to resize them and manually brush up 700 images :-C. It really sucked but I did it anyway.

This might work: call your iwad "doom2f.wad" and then PrBoom will think it is the French version and will not show those quit messages.

Hey, that actually worked! Now I only get one message: "Are you sure you want to quit this great game".
Too bad I cannot rewrite it, but is a lot better than before.

t.v. said:

Question 1:
Is it possible to end the game after map 11? If so how? My project Harmony only has 11 maps and I don't want the player to be able to proceed any further.
I want my wad to be read as an iwad btw. This works only if I add filler maps. and I don't want these filler maps to be reach-able./B]

Believe it or not, that is Risen3D'd default behaviour.

t.v. said:
Question 2:
Can I alter the messages that appear after the player selects Quit game. The messages are rude and refer to MS-DOS. If so how? I cannot find them in the Dehacked file :-/[/B]

At least for Risen3D and DoomsDay, you can do this by making a DD_DEFNS lump.

Gez said:

Hey cool I had no idea that page existed. Thanks.

heh, mosh pit of flamey death.