Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did [Final Beta Released!]

Oh wow, I really like this one (Infestation). It's nice n' expansive and fittingly Romeroish. I didn't particularly find any too-close parts, though I guess the Arachnotron-filled area with all the square steps is the "Perfect Hatred"-ish area? Doesn't seem close enough to me, and it's cool, so I say leave it as-is. :P

Also, I rather liked Radar Base as well. Interesting layout. Just realized I never commented on it though... whoops. :P

@Purist - done, see your PMs

@Hellbent, Xaser - Thank you, glad you liked it! Ammo added at the start. Hellbent, is there anything in particular that screams 'Perfect Hatred' to you? I did have misgivings about 'Tenements' floor texturing, but I worried the original design was perhaps too far from Romero. Can you both take a look and tell me what you think:

Now:

Earlier design - the TechGreen on the far wall is meant to complement the chainsaw secret.

Anyone who hasn't tried it yet willing to record a .LMP? I'd love to see how someone navigates the level, great way to find spots to refine. Always looking for victims, er, 'experimental data' =)

Also, anyone tried deathmatch? I tried to place enough warps and extra gear to create hot spots around each 'spoke' of the level, but I don't DM that much anymore, so no idea yet.

I like the earlier design (the second picture) better. It has a nice e4m6-ish marble theme going on. The pebble floor doesn't fit well there, IMO.

I played the level, and it reinforces my impression. The pebbles fit with the overall eclectic texturing found in most of Doom 2. I agree that marble is more materialistically appropriate, but the white pebbles are more stylistically so. If you decide to do without the pebbles at least try some other flats besides the marble.

None for Radar Base, Time of Death? Don't worry if not, wait for version 2 - coming soon!

purist said:

None for Radar Base, Time of Death? Don't worry if not, wait for version 2 - coming soon!

Oh sorry, my connection's kinda weird and I skipped that map since it was hosted on an unknown site to me. Here's an FDA for Radar.

Cool. Thanks TOD. I didn't mean to pressure you into doing one especially!

Also, version 2 of Radar Base has now been uploaded as promised:

See here.

The changelog is in the comments.

Hopefully, barring one or two minor things, that's that map boxed off and I can now start thinking of another one :-)

zodiac said:

Anyone who hasn't tried it yet willing to record a .LMP? I'd love to see how someone navigates the level, great way to find spots to refine. Always looking for victims, er, 'experimental data' =)

I'm kicking myself for the death here, but if I went back and played through it knowing where everything was that would kinda ruin the authenticity lol

So yeah, here ya go!

I like the design a lot, it definitely feels like a Doom 2 map. I'll give it another go later :)

Infestation v2.0 is up!

A huge thank you to everyone who posted demos, they were a great help for ideas and balancing.

I wanted to get this out ASAP since the wooden Blue Door wouldn't trigger from behind, potentially leaving you stuck in the core without some fancy jumping. I made the other warp take you back out as well, the changes make it harder to bait monsters and I think this is more fair for a Map07. The full change log is in the submission page comments.

More action on the feedback will come later; the western tech base in particular could use better flow, and I think I need to make the BFG secret a *little* more obvious.

Also, I went through reskins of the 'Temple' room. Most don't fit. There is one more that looks promising, the same stone as the final room (RROCK13/GREENROCK). What do you think, compared to the two above?

I'll get to other mapper's updates later in the week, only so much time in a night ;0

Edited to clarify: The RROCK13 is not in the v2 wad, I'll make a final decision for v3.

Here's a screen of a map I've been working on, probably a map12 or so:

iori said:

Here's a screen of a map I've been working on, probably a map12 or so:
IMG

Looks very good, and very 'O'-of-Desctruction-ish, I'd try shuffling the textures a little, especially different "Zimmers"

ellmo said:

Looks very good, and very 'O'-of-Desctruction-ish, I'd try shuffling the textures a little, especially different "Zimmers"

ZIMMER8!

On second thought, I'm once again casting my vote for the white pebbles for that area zodiac. It just seems so perfectly "Doom 2" when viewed ingame.

I also found some bugs, will upload screenshots soon.

How exactly does someone go about clearing HOM errors? Marcaek, I assume that's what you found, since _bruce_ also pointed them out.

I know that in this case it's caused by too many segments, but things like moving teleporter ceiling above the main ceiling with no texture (making the engine paste over them with the main ceiling) or lining up the ceiling lights at the same height to get side textures to merge don't actually seem to reduce the segment count.

I don't actually go very much over the limit, but I'm at a bit of a loss how to actually lower the total.

Edit: with a few more tweaks, even leveling the ceilings so they're actually flat and closing off the invulnerability secret (so it's just a warp to a ledge don't help as much as I'd expect. That's a lot of vertical segments that are no longer present, but the count remains stubbornly high. I realize lighting forces x/y segment draw, but this still seems too much.

http://i.imgur.com/lUQGG.png

Imp in the floor, I don't recall what causes this.

http://i.imgur.com/TY5Xz.png

Candle in the ceiling.

http://i.imgur.com/QlmQG.png

Sides of the skull switch are misaligned.

http://i.imgur.com/yZWkK.png

The sky cutoff is really noticeable here, try raising the sky here, and joining it with the supercharge platform, also raising the sky of said platform:

http://i.imgur.com/sWvCD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Obyu.png

zodiac said:

How exactly does someone go about clearing HOM errors? Marcaek, I assume that's what you found, since _bruce_ also pointed them out.

I know that in this case it's caused by too many segments, but things like moving teleporter ceiling above the main ceiling with no texture (making the engine paste over them with the main ceiling) or lining up the ceiling lights at the same height to get side textures to merge don't actually seem to reduce the segment count.

I don't actually go very much over the limit, but I'm at a bit of a loss how to actually lower the total.

Edit: with a few more tweaks, even leveling the ceilings so they're actually flat and closing off the invulnerability secret (so it's just a warp to a ledge don't help as much as I'd expect. That's a lot of vertical segments that are no longer present, but the count remains stubbornly high. I realize lighting forces x/y segment draw, but this still seems too much.

Segs come from the splitting of sidedefs into pieces, not floors or ceilings. So 2-sided lines create at least 2 segs apiece, and they can only be blocked by a completely solid wall between them and the camera. The only way I'm aware of that you can have lines not create drawsegs is to have the same sector on both sides and have no midtexture on them, so the lines are completely invisible and only exist to trigger a line special or something.

TimeOfDeath said:

Here's an unoptimized max for essel's Leap of Faith in 5:12.

What exe and complevel and stuff was this recorded with? It's desyncing really badly in Eternity and PrBoom-Plus for me.