Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did [Final Beta Released!]

In addition to Alfnozo's and Tarnsman's thoughts:

the raising pillars in the blood at the start don't raise fully for me in prboom+ complevel2, but I'd outright remove them anyway considering you have those teleports down there.

Right before the red key, you have some monster closets with awful looking 8-wide SUPPORT3, you might want to consider just using the same texture as the rest of the area.

Overall, I'd like to suggest a different texture theme, but not sure what ATM.

Death Egg said:

I can't help being incredibly excited for MAP31 and MAP32. Of course they wouldn't be available on the D2TWiD site for download, would they be. :P

Your not the only one!

Many many thanks for the feedback, that was most helpful. I feel pretty stupid about that broken Berserk-pack secret in The Vein, I swear I had fixed that. :P

I'll have a go at retexturing/refining The Vein for one of the available slots, but if it gets to be too late or it's simply not good enough I'll completely understand.

Oh, and "I'm Afraid of American" was quite dramatically overhauled a while ago and put on the site, I don't know if anyone saw that (it's called "The Centre" now, much more proper). At this late a stage you don't have to look at it, but I just wanted to get that out there. I'd chuck these new ones on the site as well but the login seems to be busted at the moment. Thanks again for you time. c:

Immensilus Updaticus IV: Massivius Importanti!

D2TWiD is now set to release its 1st beta on the 8th of May! If you have any maps you'd like to finish off for submission, then you can let that date also serve as a deadline. No more submissions will be accepted past the 8th.

We're also calling for beta testers at this moment in time, so do make yourself known if you'd like to participate and I'll strike your name up in the credits.

That's all, folks. Fire up the afterburners.

I'm down for beta testing as well. This will kinda spoil the wait, but oh well. Bug finding is something I've always been decent at.

Most excellent. Thanks a ton!

While it will still be released publicly for general feedback, we'll be looking for (and demanding!) more extensive feedback from the fine folks atop this post. I'll ship out a specially catered PM to you guys detailing specific areas of interest when testing: the project goal makes for a slightly different approach when it comes to this phase of development. Certain "bugs" that you discover, for instance, might actually be intentionally included features of the map.

Anyway, although there's still a short while before the deadline strikes, I feel as though I should give a big thanks to those that contributed to the project but whose maps didn't make it in to the final cut. The project may not have come even close to achieving the same sort of interest and participation that the first one did during development, but it still allowed us some measure of interesting discussion. Your maps also aided in preventing Tarnsman from spreading cancerously across the maplist like a malignant asshole on the toilet seat of opportunity.

5 days 'til crunch time. Get psyched!

Fernito said:

@st.alfonzo: Great! I'll be looking forward to that PM ;)

Same here. Can't wait!

Stoked ^^ And then, Thy Flesh Consumed The Way id Did. Even more stoked in fact!

Crunch time appears to have misplaced its teeth, which, as we understand it, has rather compromised its ability to crunch deadlines. This is most unfortunate.

Truthfully we're still ironing out a few kinks in the armor of this beta release, so sit tight! It should be here in a few days, give or take. Feel free to curse my general lack of organizational skill in the meanwhile if it helps you bide the time any better.

st.alfonzo said:

Crunch time appears to have misplaced its teeth, which, as we understand it, has rather compromised its ability to crunch deadlines. This is most unfortunate.

Truthfully we're still ironing out a few kinks in the armor of this beta release, so sit tight! It should be here in a few days, give or take. Feel free to curse my general lack of organizational skill in the meanwhile if it helps you bide the time any better.

Arrrghhhh!! I can't wait! (but don't worry, I'll do :P).

Aww, I was hoping to play through the beta this weekend, but I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

This is a public service announcement to all ladies and men of the gentle disposition: Doom II The Way id Did is now in a state of public beta. The mapset it fully playable save for the secret maps and a few critical features that have yet to be fully implemented:

1. Most maps lack DM starts, multiplayer flagged monsters/items and secondary player starts
  2. Most maps are only playable on UV
  3. The secret maps are not included. They are still being ironed out by Xaser and associates, and are ommitted for suspenseful purposes... not that you don't already know what they're going to be.
  4. Other cool, soon-to-be features that shall not be specified, but which are both delicious and classy.
Other than that, it's all systems go! Enjoy!

>> DOWNLOAD <<

A big thanks once again to everyone who participated. If you do decide to give the mapset a playthrough then be sure to leave as much feedback as you can in the thread; we're still trucking away on the development front, and any criticism you can throw at us could be supremely helpful indeed -- both kindly and otherwise. I'll be shunting some PM's in the direction of the beta testers shortly regarding things to address or look for during playthrough.

EDIT #2: Please download the beta again (again) if you last did so before this edit. Some minor atrocious astounding errors were made in compilation.

Bout time!

Edit: Sorry Purist, I told him to change the name and he didn't.

I do too, but Purist didn't and I told Alfonzo I'd bug him about it.

Yeah, it was mentioned both via PM and from Tarns. I'll switch it back with the next batch of fixups.

Neat-o! Gonna play through levels on UV from pistol start when I can and will provide my comments in this thread. Will probably record my playthroughs in case something interesting happens so I can refer to it but can't guarantee they'll be fun to watch :p Will play in prBoom+ using cl2.

Expect feedback at some point, slowly drip fed into the thread when I get round to them. I won't bother reporting things like texture misalignments or whatever because by this point I believe it's safe to assume that any misalignments are intentional. DTWiD was awesome so here's hoping D2TWiD continues the oldskool authenticity.

Melon said:

I won't bother reporting things like texture misalignments or whatever because by this point I believe it's safe to assume that any misalignments are intentional.

Good move, heh. You'd need entire forests of paper to jot down the number of bugs on the texture front, and with most of them being intentional, as you say, I think the most constructive feedback would come from gameplay commentary, or even on something as ethereal as how "Doom 2" the map(set) feels.

Right now it's too sunny a day to be beta testing this but I thought I'd at least set up my recording parameters in advance and played through the first map, so might as well post about it before I forget. I'm planning on doing this in batches in the future rather than one map at a time.

MAP01: I was thinking I'd be really clever and break the map by jumping out the window but nope, it's a secret. :) This map is so short there's little to say but it definitely felt authentic to me and is an awesome start. I loved being able to approach the final room from a different direction. I was hoping I'd be able to be a horrible mean playtesting bitcher but honestly if the maps continue with this level of quality I'll have nothing to complain about.

So far, so good. I'm mainly playing to try and gauge how "id-like" the maps feel and this one hits the spot, but I'm sure the longer maps will have more opportunities to mess up.

EDIT: Whoops meant to post the demo, hang on.

EDIT2: ]Here you go

Amazing. I'm jumping right into it. I'd appreciate a PM saying what to look for feedback-wise, though.

FDA

Disclaimer: This is a 20 minute FDA (on HMP) using the initial version of the wad. I made it to the Boiler before copping it. It's probably of no interest or value unless you want to tailor your mapset to people with slow reactions and poor accuracy, which I understand is unlikely to be a priority.

First impressions are that this does feel quite Doom2-ey. Maybe there should be a couple more areas that are really dark? I don't remember stumbling in the shadows, like in underhalls or waste tunnels. From the little I saw I thought the Silyards(?? - none of the windows were silled...) and the Boiler were the most fun.

So, in conclusion: nice one guys, keep on rolling.