Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Freezing cold is coming in Europe

Why not base it on absolute zero and the temperature for proton-proton fusion in a vacuum?

Most likely because this is completely irrelevant to most people day-to-day's life. ;)

I live in Napa, California and it's unseasonably warm and dry at the moment. I like wearing a tee-shirt in February, but I have to wonder if there will be a drought. :(

DooMAD said:

I'm guessing here in South-East England everything will grind to a halt after the first few millimetres of snow, as many Brits are useless and don't know how to cope with the white stuff.

That's the attitude here in Texas. Right now we're enjoying 60-70 degree weather. Any amount of snow freaks us the fuck out.

hex11 said:

How many fluid ounces in a pound? :)

Imperial, US customary or US food labelling ounces? ;-)

yukib1t said:

I love the cold myself, and based on what you just described, I wish I lived there rather than where I do. The colder and snowier a place is, the better. Screw the heat.

This.

Except when you live in a 400-year-old farmhouse with shitty insulation and a disintegrating roof, it kinda gets to you after a while. :(

Now here I am in Australia where the average summer day (which it is right now) is 40ºC, and the average night is about 20ºC. Fun.

Actually, I used to loath the cold with every fiber of my being. This derives from driving a car with no heater and living in an apartment where heat never reached my room - thus, I spent winter 2008 in a constant state of near-freezing temperatures indoors and below-freezing outdoors. It made me want to destroy things around me and I realized that I was developing a rather bad drinking habit just to stay warm at night (other factors were involved as well, but the cold certainly contributed).

A year later, when ever started bitching during the winter, I found myself surprisingly at ease. Now I don't mind the cold all of that much.

Then I moved to California, and thus, we can't slap on an ol' "To be continued..." when I go Back to the Future State of Missouri during a harsh January snow storm.

Jimmy91 said:

Now here I am in Australia where the average summer day (which it is right now) is 40ºC, and the average night is about 20ºC. Fun.

That sounds absolutely awful and reminds me of the time I was in Japan. I don't remember the usual outdoor temp, just that it was in the high 30s and close to 100% humidity every day. It didn't ease up until fall came.

~16 C is where I start to feel comfortable. 0 C is awesome. Below that is paradise. The occasional ~22 C day is nice, but like 1 per month nice.

Just posting this to give a bit of real-time context (note that Antarctica's colour-coding is not the same as the other three).

Katamori said:
Anybody afraids of the cold?

I got a cold... in the middle of summer.

Jimmy91 said:

It's really 40ºC over there? Over here in Sydney it's only reached 30 a few times this entire summer. Raining a lot, too.

Fuck winter and snow, anything below -5 pisses me off to no end when I get up at 5:30 to go to work.

Forecast for the weekend is -30.

dew said:

-20C, 630AM, sleepy, leaving for work. :/

Was the same here, -1 hour.

Grazza said:

I also recall snow in May one year. Have fun. :)

We had that last year.

Enjay said:

Heh, you definitely don't live in the same part of the UK as me. We usually get at least one decent snowfall per Winter

To be fair, the last couple of years have been pretty good winters (depending on if you like the snow or not, everyone IRL looks at me like I'm a weirdo when I say that I do). Reminded me of the winters we had (in Shropshire) when I was a child. I haven't seen a single snowflake so far this year though.

Enjay said:

In fact, my "tan" is usually better described as "weather beaten". ;)

I tan pretty easily. I've only got to stand in the sun for a couple of hours and my skin is quite bronzed. Bearing in mind our summers are usually pretty shit too, and we maybe get two or three weeks of good weather in total.

Grazza said:

Just posting this to give a bit of real-time context (note that Antarctica's colour-coding is not the same as the other three).

Did a quick palette remap on Antarctica to allow for direct comparison. Would the white patches be snow? :-)

EDIT - updated image and changed url.

Well, yeah: in this morning the temperature was -12 degrees and there was a snowfall when I came home. (12:00 CET) So it begins.

By the way, don't care about Celsius and Farenheit. Everyone uses that he want.

darkreaver said:

fahrenheit? please...

As much as I love the metric system, using Celsius doesn't seem natural to me. You go from 30 being blistering hot to 10 being rather cold. There's a bit more accuracy with Fahrenheit, where the same temperatures are more in the 40-80 degree range.

Danarchy said:

There's a bit more accuracy with Fahrenheit, where the same temperatures are more in the 40-80 degree range.

yeah, the fahrenheit scale may be more granular, but the referential values are utterly ridiculous. i laughed so hard when i read about the frozen brine.

GeckoYamori said:

Iceland is packing some heat

That'd be either geothermal activity or hardcore_gamer's pet demons have opened another portal to Hell.

The farenheit scale does have more values in the "usual experience" range. It's a shame that we can't think of some way to overcome that with Celsius.

12.75 Celsius.

Oh, maybe we can. ;)

Seriously though, I would suggest that for most people's use, fractions of a degree Celsius, even the difference between something like 6.0 and 6.5 rather than 6.0 and 6.1 would be pretty irrelevant so I submit that the level of granularity in the Celsius scale is fine for most people's everyday use and if it isn't everyday use but something more "technical" then fractions of a degree C are perfectly acceptable and provide the granularity required. (Although, chances are that more technical uses will be using Kelvin as well.)

The part of the Farenheit scale that I always thought was a bit screwy was the 96 approximately being body temperature. And the brine thing.

100F was the original body temperature, but it was regulated sometime to 98.6 later. Urban legend was that Fahrenheit had a Fever at the time.