Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Shotgun & shells in DooM 2 MAP:01

Does anyone else get immense satisfaction at grabbing the first shotty and some shells in Entryway? I always get the rush the second I leave the doorway, springing past the imps and scooping up the goods, then using it effectively on each imp.

Is it just me, or is that certain little area in all of DooM 2 blessed with an essence of fun?

yeah, i think it's because you have to make your way to the outside with only the pistol so you want something with a bigger boom.

or with the chainsaw. the greatest satisfaction, however, is splattering imps with berserk for me.

Pirx said:

the greatest satisfaction, however, is splattering imps with berserk for me.

Even if they survive the first punch?

I always use the chainsaw exclusively in MAP01. I pick up the rocket launcher and shotgun just for picking them up; but I don't use them.

Darting in and out of a group of imps to chainsaw them before they can scratch you and while dodging the fireballs from their friends -- easy, yet with an element of challenge that makes it fun.

Of course, the most fun remains to lure monsters near barrels and blow them up. E1M2 is an especially good map for that.

I kinda get that same feeling any time i pick up a shotgun. The shotgun is such a well balanced weapon being that it easily disposes of weak monsters, but isn't terribly boring to use on harder monsters.

Almost any time i play a map from pistol start and locate the first shotgun, I get a nice combination of "everythings is gonna be okay" and "this is where the map gets fun" feelings. Chainsaws do that too, mainly because of the infinite ammo, but moreso with shotguns (especially if theres a shellbox nearby.)

Too many to mention... though one of the most satisfying has always been the "use barrel to gib enemy" game.
Basic pickups are also cool... the sound, location, etc.

Doom's just a true gem of a game.

Memfis said:

Even if they survive the first punch?

sometimes :D

imps will be punched, survivors will be punched again. really fun with nashgore or beautiful doom in more standard play, or brutal doom with fatalities.

or, speaking of barrels, punching them to send them flying into the enemy's face.