Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

Something I have not seen in skulltag in a while...

Huge, epic maps? Almost every time I joined a ST coop game earlier this year, people would have huge, complex, atmospheric wads up. Now its a constant bombardment of brutaldoom, and I only see like 10 servers with anyone on it. Coop is just standard doom.

What happened to the larger maps?

Almost every time I joined a ST coop game earlier this year...

Yeah, things have really changed. It used to be so much better 5 weeks ago. ;)

Well that aside, the large coop games Im use to seem to no longer exist. For the past week Ive been searching for these servers, but am only coming across smaller coop games. Not even the large scale invasion servers seem to have anyone.

it's very unusual for people on skulltag to be playing something that doesnt suck.

Something I have also not seen in Skulltag in a while is people playing the actual Skulltag gamemode. Would be fun to join in on that.

Unless you were playing against more than 8 players, it's easy to get lost in huge maps, especially ones that weren't designed for Coop/DM.

Just my $0.02.

I've just recently started a Skulltag server when playing with friends. We play coop Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, and TNT/Plutonia when we aren't being stubborn. I think we might play through Hexen at some point but just once.

TheCupboard said:

Something I have also not seen in Skulltag in a while is people playing the actual Skulltag gamemode. Would be fun to join in on that.

A thousand times yes. I'd like to see more pub CTF as well, or at least anything that's not one of the retarded mods that hog the top of the server list.

(BTW great job on CupCTF, I managed to start a few games going on it which is the best you can hope for considering all the clanners play is IDL2012 :P )

Something I've really been pushing for are some Nightmare coop servers with infinite ammo on Odamex.

It's super hectic and near impossible to complete a map on your own, but with two or three other guys and some communication, a lot of levels can be beaten and it can feel really rewarding. With more players it's pretty easy to keep the respawning monsters' lifetimes very short so that players can reach the keys, switches and exit rooms in a short amount of time. You'd think maps with the BFG and infinite ammo would be lame but even with the BFG it can be very difficult to stay alive for very long.

Also it kicks the shit out of normal UV coop, where you just respawn from the start and have to navigate through a sea of dead monsters to get to where you were which is really boring and gives you no incentive to stay alive or try very hard. When monsters are fast and constantly respawning, the hellspawn serves as a very competent opponent.

40oz said:

Something I've really been pushing for are some Nightmare coop servers with infinite ammo on Odamex.

It's super hectic and near impossible to complete a map on your own, but with two or three other guys and some communication, a lot of levels can be beaten and it can feel really rewarding. With more players it's pretty easy to keep the respawning monsters' lifetimes very short so that players can reach the keys, switches and exit rooms in a short amount of time. You'd think maps with the BFG and infinite ammo would be lame but even with the BFG it can be very difficult to stay alive for very long.

Also it kicks the shit out of normal UV coop, where you just respawn from the start and have to navigate through a sea of dead monsters to get to where you were which is really boring and gives you no incentive to stay alive or try very hard. When monsters are fast and constantly respawning, the hellspawn serves as a very competent opponent.

Personally, I prefer respawning items over infinite ammo. It just feels silly when you can continuously spam your weapon without a second thought.

I played TNT in Skulltag with a couple friends for the first time and wasted all our ammo trying to figure out how to finish it. We were basically done for, so I went and temporarily turned on infinite ammo so we could finish it. After we finished and were sent back to MAP01, we ran through a few maps with infinite ammo still turned on. It was entertaining for about 30 seconds but quickly grew completely pointless. I can understand tougher levels with unlimited ammo, but what you're talking about is a completely different game.

We've been playing survival Ultimate Doom and Doom II with double ammo, weapons don't remain and spawning with the shotgun. Survival is the PERFECT incentive to not die, spawning with the shotgun gives you a chance in the next level if you do die, and double ammo makes the whole thing a lot less tedious. You can't use the plasma gun with reckless abandon but you don't have to comb every square inch of a map for ammo, either.

Playing survival with respawning items, double ammo, no team damage, and possibly infinite ammo gets boring in just a few seconds. There's no challenge to it and it is extremely easy to complete it without dying. If you do die, most likely it was from something stupid like accidently firing a rocket at a wall and hitting it.

GhostlyDeath said:
Playing survival with respawning items

No respawning items. Weapons don't remain. So you can pick them up for ammo, but only one guy gets them.

If you do die, most likely it was from something stupid like accidently firing a rocket at a wall and hitting it.

Yeah, that's usually what it is. Or falling in to nukage I can't get out of in The Crusher 3 TIMES IN A ROW, or just general carelessness (which covers the first two). I never said I was good. UV with those settings makes the game the most fun for me.