Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MasterofJKD

Plutonia vs Doom2

I always disliked Doom Plutonia not for the level design, but the sheer difficulty, but now after beating Doom1 and Doom2 and playing a multitude of Pwads, I'm actually liking it alot, I'm on level 16 and in the past never got past level 11 "Hunted" I'm beginning to like Plutonia even more than Doom2 since it is too easy. Who else has Doom Plutonia, and what are your thoughts on it?

Plutonia is legendary. Took me a while to grow to love it, too, mostly because I had to get past the "oh it's just a megawad" feeling and actually PLAY it first.

I think it's clearly an improvement compared to the level design of Doom2. There are weak levels but most are awesome.

Plutonia is undoubtedly my favorite IWAD (though I like Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited even more). IMHO the best Doom2 levels are its last six maps (as the most atmospheric, most Doomish ones), but all three episodes of Plutonia maintain a similar level of quality/beauty to the most well-done hellish maps in the original Doom2.

When I first played The Plutonia Experiment (in 2003), it was a big challenge (or rather a FAIR challenge) for me, but today I find it really easy both on UV and NM.

I agree that Plutonia is an improvement over Doom2. However, it is only an improvement because it had the 'shoulders' of Doom2 to stand upon.

IMO, Plutonia is more disciplined in design, had better gameplay in general, and was overall a more complete package than either Doom2 or TNT. However, Doom2 and TNT have moments of epicness that are generally lacking in Plutonia.

I don't get the hate on Doom 2 at all. Plutonia good minus a few quirks I hated (the invisible bridge in MAP02 is asinine, and in multiplayer there was more than one point where we teleported in over and over under the feet of a cyberdemon so we could shoot one shot before dying). The Hunted was a lot more fun than I imagined.

Then again, Doom 2 has The Chasm. The last 10 levels on the whole are pretty weak.

I really think TNT sucks, though. The maps are ugly and boring, more frustrating than hard, and not straight forward enough to be enjoyable.

One thing is for sure though. I hate playing the Icon of Sin. Please don't ever put it in a level again.

I've never actually played Plutonia beyond the first few levels... though I immensely enjoyed Plutonia 2 (have been replaying it, too), so I probably should play the original sometime.

As for Doom 2, the level design in it is rather bland and doesn't carry the same kind of atmosphere or immersion as Ultimate Doom. It's obvious why to use Doom 2 as a base for PWADs, but as a game on its own, it's rather weak.

When it comes to IWADs, my favorites go from Ultimate Doom, Plutonia, TNT, Doom II. I can just flat out play Ultimate Doom over and over and over again. I remember the first time playing Plutonia. It was funny limping around the third level with 3% health on I'm Too Young to Die.

Doom 2 is great; there's a huge variety in settings and gameplay concepts, and the abstract nature of the maps makes many of them quite unlike just about anything else available.

While I can appreciate Plutonia, I'd rather play the community-created Plutonia 2 or PRCP any day.

I have play both Plutonia and Doom2. Plutonia is much harder, however most maps have ugly design because of too much brown, I like TNT more in Final Doom. Another thing is the music, Plutonia doesn't have its own music, all of them just copy from Doom and Doom 2.

Both are fun, but i prefer plutonia over doom2. It has a consistent theme i find very pleasing, while doom2 is a random mix of surreal themes and sometime blocky surroundings. Gameplay in plutonia is clearly harder, overall the added experience since doom2 came out is evident. However, this is also the case when comparing the original plutonia to PL2 and PRCP (of which the latter does a better job of emulating the original, imo).