Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kira

[SOLVED] Sky texture out of 4 patches

New problem in my adventures with GlBoom-plus and WAD editing: my panoramic sky repeat each 90 degrees. Here is what I exactly done step by step:

- I have made 4 sky textures that follow each other seamlessly and put them between my PP markers with 256x128 dimensions. Then I added them to PNAMES.

- Once this has been done, I created in TEXTURE1 a texture scaled at 1024x128 called SKY1 and assembled the 4 patches.

- Finally, I added a SKY1 patch between my HI markers scaled at 2048x256.

Any idea of what is wrong?

Kind of a stab in the dark, but are there any patch named SKY1?

Does it work if tested in ZDoom?

Gez said:

Kind of a stab in the dark, but are there any patch named SKY1?

Nope.

Does it work if tested in ZDoom?

It repeats on GZDoom too.

Wait? You don't have to stick to using 256x128 sky textures in PrBoom and PrBoom derived ports!?! I...DID...NOT...KNOW....THIS! Seriously though, this is awesome.

Is it port specific or is this supported across everything?

Sorry I couldn't add any constructive help to the situation. I just had to know about this.

I can't remember exactly what I did but I got this working in progfic.wad. If you download and open in XWE the texture in question is SKY2 and is comprised of patches SKY2A, SKY2B, SKY2C & SKY2D. Have a look at the setup in TEXTURE1 and you might be able to see where you've gone wrong.

Good luck :-)

fiend-o-hell said:

Wait? You don't have to stick to using 256x128 sky textures in PrBoom and PrBoom derived ports!?! I...DID...NOT...KNOW....THIS! Seriously though, this is awesome.

Is it port specific or is this supported across everything?

Sorry I couldn't add any constructive help to the situation. I just had to know about this.

It is used on TNT too, so you have your answer :).

@purist: downloading, thanks!

fiend-o-hell said:

Since TNT... Woah...

Earlier. ;)

While patches can't be larger than 256, textures can be very long and made up of several patches.

The problem here, though, is to get it properly replaced by a high-res texture. Using HI_START should replace the texture with another that is even higher res.

Well, it looks like it doesn't show up at all if I delete the one between HI_START and HI_END. The Hires one is just replacing the original Doom 2's SKY1 if I'm correct.

To summarize:

PP :

SKY1A
SKY1B
SKY1C
SKY1D

TEXTURE1 :

SKY1 (SKY1A+SKY1B+SKY1C+SKY1D)

PNAMES :

SKY1A
SKY1B
SKY1C
SKY1D

Purist: I've investigated your wad and it looks like you did an overkill : SKY2 is in PNAMES without even being in PP and you added SKY2x patches in TEXTURE1. Yet your patches are used twice by SKY2 but I can't figure why.

I tried to mimick your setup and I am unsuccessful.

Eternal's wads (especially Hell Ground) have the same setup than me so I am puzzled.

FOUND! I feel herp derp now: it's because I didn't replace the original SKY1 in TEXTURE1 and had thus two SKY1 conflicting.

I now have a 360° sky in high definition, hooray! Call me the guy constantly bothering you with problems that he can solve himself.