Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LightningBolt101

Ultimate Doom E4M3 fixes

http://www.mediafire.com/?nw9xowup9mdruyy

Hello all. I'm not sure if something like this was posted already, but I'm sorry if it has.

I suddenly had a stroke of nostalgia by watching some people play E4M3 and the first thing that came to my mind was "I always wonder what that switch did by the red key." After realizing I had Doom Builder, I decided to take a look at it and see what it did. To put it bluntly:

It did absolutely nothing due to a programming error.

The door, the floor that was supposed to raise, and the switch were set to "SR Lower Floor to Next Highest Floor," "SR Floor Raise 8 px below Lowest Ceiling (crush)," and "SR Door Open Wait Close." After analyzing it, I immediately knew what they were trying to do. Given the "secret" door to the teleporter in that room WASN'T marked as a secret, I knew they were trying to do this:

Have you walk over the floor to raise it so you were trapped in, use the switch to open the door instead of doing it manually, and having the linedef before the teleport lower the floor again, all being repeatable actions. I fixed this immediately and find it sort of does something for the map. It kinda pushes the player back to the start, which isn't that much of a difference.

I've also fixed the secret problems. No more going deaf if you use a source port which makes a noise when you find a secret. The stair secret error has been fixed, just giving the hallway before the stairs the secret sector and nothing else. I've also fixed the torches secret sectors, which means yes, it is possible to 100% this map now. Funny how a map with 22 secrets is only supposed to have 2. Close enough, right? Just add another 2.

Also fixed some thing placements. I was pretty disappointed when I noticed the "glitch imp" which was an imp they accidentally placed in the wall at the red key, thus it could never move. But what really caught my attention was the rocket placed OUTSIDE of the map. Really, id? I know the feeling of not wanting to map when you want to work on something else, but this is by far the glitchiest map you've probably ever made.

I may fix texture alignment issues in the future. Depends how lazy I am, or rather aren't.

I'm willing to make any other changes as people see needed. This is one of my favorite maps and it's a shame it's probably one of the buggiest.

This was edited in plain old Doom format, so it should work across the board.

LightningBolt101 said:

The stair secret glitch has been fixed, just giving the hallway before the stairs the secret sector and nothing else.

Not a glitch, just map design quirkiness.

I always found the stairs funny, but the impossible-to-get secret sectors always perplexed me. Did they really never notice that when play testing?

Razen said:

I always found the stairs funny, but the impossible-to-get secret sectors always perplexed me. Did they really never notice that when play testing?

They were working on Episode 4 which was merely for marketing. Not everyone was happy that the team had to work on Episode 4 instead of Quake (Romero kinda liked the plan, but an interview with Carmack showed that it was all GT's intention and he preferred they worked on Quake).

Ah, that would explain it. It's interesting to hear that because Ultimate Doom had some really creative and fun levels in it (E4M2 comes to mind).