• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MRB_Doom

R-7 Semyorka

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-7_Semyorka

"On this day... ( February 9th 1959)".

Anyone of your parents who can remember this event? Or your grandparents? I didn't know that the Soviets had the first ICBM operational during the Cold War.

From ICBMs to colonial space marines, i.e. Aliens (1986).

"Check it out!" (Pvt. Hudson)

Of course my father remembers the cold war, or as he put it, "the greatest dick measuring contest ever held".

I don't think the Soviets were ever planning to use these (since it cost so much to just test these stupid things all day), so they were modified for satellite launches instead.

Of course, the other, more humorous angle of the R-7 being shelved was that the US knew about it from constant U-2 surveillance. Of course the US knew about it, the Soviets knew the US knew it, so they pooh-poohed the thing and scrapped the idea. If I recall it was eating up to a tenth of their defense budget which was already wearing thin.

Dad remembers The Cold War. He was sitting in a plane ready to be dropped into Cuba along with the rest of the 82nd (The Cuban Missle Crisis).

It's the only thing I've heard him admit to being scared about.

Mr. T said:

They look like rockets, BFD

Fine. But I don't motherfucking want them to motherfucking be flying in the sky because of some motherfucking provocation in order to start nuclear warfighting. BFD, right?

MRB_Doom said:

Fine. But I don't motherfucking want them to motherfucking be flying in the sky because of some motherfucking provocation in order to start nuclear warfighting. BFD, right?

OK. That's like starting a thread about the atomic bomb, then crying to hell and back that you don't want them being dropped everywhere because someone pissed of the United States (or whoever) and they decided to start atomic warfare.

It hasn't happened and there is no reason to believe it will happen, why bother speculating that much about it?

Kirby said:

OK. That's like starting a thread about the atomic bomb, then crying to hell and back that you don't want them being dropped everywhere because someone pissed of the United States (or whoever) and they decided to start atomic warfare.

It hasn't happened and there is no reason to believe it will happen, why bother speculating that much about it?

I guess my point is that NATO expansion along the Russian border and that pathetic missile shield in Europe that is intended to protect that continent against missiles from rogue states like North Korea and Iran is pure bullshit.

The missile shield is simply a first nuclear strike posture against the Russian Federation and the Russians knows this.

At least the Turks are protesting that radar that will become operational whenever in their country, as a part of the missile shield.

The Western world is in a deep war psychosis and someone needs to cure them from it before they go too far with their disgusting war mongering.

Csonicgo said:

Of course, the other, more humorous angle of the R-7 being shelved was that the US knew about it from constant U-2 surveillance. Of course the US knew about it, the Soviets knew the US knew it, so they pooh-poohed the thing and scrapped the idea. If I recall it was eating up to a tenth of their defense budget which was already wearing thin.

During the cold war the Americans knew what the Russians were doing. The Russians knew what the Americans were doing. The Americans knew that the Russians knew what they were doing. The Russians knew that the Americans knew what they were doing. The Americans knew that the Russians knew that the Americans knew what they were doing... In fact, intelligence and counter intelligence sometimes seemed to be the whole point of the cold war.

It was, indeed, "the greatest dick measuring contest ever held". It was also enough to have much of the world held in fear believing that the figurative clock counting down to nuclear Armageddon was teetering at "one minute to midnight" (as it was often described) for much of the late seventies and early eighties. We all knew terms like "M.A.D." (Mutually Assured Destruction) and about the four minute warning that we were likely to get (if that) before the nukes started raining. Even as a school kid, discussions with your mates about what would happen if "the nukes started falling" and where you would most like to be at the time would not be an especially rare thing to happen (the basic answer usually came down to getting burned to a crisp). The British government issued the "Protect and Survive" manual (which amounted to building a pretty insubstantial shelter inside your house from doors and bags of earth and also painting your windows with white paint - a tall order in 4 minutes). Works or art/popular culture (songs, films, TV shows etc) regularly featured the theme of nuclear devastation and "end of the world" scenarios and no student flat was complete without this poster on the wall. Every other day there seemed to be news articles about anti-nuclear demonstrations or some diplomatic incident that was making the world an even more unsafe place.

Nuclear war was, as we saw it at the time, a very real, clear and present danger that we were genuinely worried about.

And people wonder why people my age are happy to dismiss the rare threat of an individual extremist with an IED in his shoe. We faced-off the meltdown of the entire planet dammit. :P

MRB_Doom said:

Yawn. Seriously, what is it with your obsession with Russia?

My dad served as an mechanic in the USSR air force. He says no one gave a crap about cold war except higher command and officers. Space race on the other hand was the shit among soviet ppl.

MRB_Doom said:

The Western world is in a deep war psychosis and someone needs to cure them from it before they go too far with their disgusting war mongering.

You know what? It's Russian gov that sees US and most of Europe as enemies for some stupid reason and befriending North Korea at the same time. Russian government uses old soviet trick of antagonizing the west just for the sake of the more control over Russian ppl minds.
Have you heard what Russian gov says about those recent anti-Putin protests in Moscow? "They are paid by US and their goal is to destabilize Russia".

Belial said:

Yawn. Seriously, what is it with your obsession with Russia?

I guess my "obsession" is that a nuclear holocaust can be avoided if we can create a mass movement and demand that our "leaders" in the respective countries on Earth do NOT remain enemies of whatever reason for whatever purpose.

The grand chessboard needs to be stopped, or let's say, the game for world domination.

You can yawn how much you like but that doesn't make the issue of a wider war go away. I do NOT want to die of a fast moving blast wave.

I'm sure you feel the same way.

But hey, maybe a demonic invasion from Hell on Earth actually can happen and is that really what you want? Fantasy becomes reality?

So yawn back at ya.

Orchid87 said:

You know what? It's Russian gov that sees US and most of Europe as enemies for some stupid reason and befriending North Korea at the same time. Russian government uses old soviet trick of antagonizing the west just for the sake of the more control over Russian ppl minds.
Have you heard what Russian gov says about those recent anti-Putin protests in Moscow? "They are paid by US and their goal is to destabilize Russia".

My comment about Russia befriending the Stalinist dictatorship of North Korea is as follows:

The Russian Federation should NOT befriend that country simply because the North Korean people are suffering from brutal starvation, torture, forced labor and indoctrination of unimaginable proportions. I believe in the reunification of the two Koreas. I think they have been falsely divided and that both the North Korean and South Korean peoples can become a very strong force in the world when it comes to peace and prosperity for the future.

As for the anti-Putin protests, I am sure there are different agendas being played by both the Kremlin and the West. The West wants to "democratize" Russia and Prime Minister Putin wants to use his own tactic of reforming the country in a way that engages the Russian people in a way that boosts confidence for Putin with him as President of Russia once again.

MRB_Doom said:

You can yawn how much you like but that doesn't make the issue of a wider war go away. I do NOT want to die of a fast moving blast wave.

Not gonna happen, so I've got more pressing issues to worry about.

Belial said:

Not gonna happen, so I've got more pressing issues to worry about.

I'm not saying that there aren't other issues to be worried about, I'm simply stating that there IS a possibility when there are still military planners that talk about nuclear warfighting and their subsequent drills that go under every fiscal year. That's my point.

You can't predict the future so let's not dismiss it entirely.

MRB_Doom said:

I do NOT want to die of a fast moving blast wave.

I'd much rather that than old age, personally.