Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
45th Parrallel

How do I include new textures for Vanilla Doom\BooM

This is probably a nooby question but i am not used to Vanilla Doom and Boom editing (I normally mod for Zdoom which is alot easier)

So my question is how do I include new textures in my wad?

Start by putting them in your wad
Then make sure they're in the textures lump

I seem to recall XWE would do this automatically
Dunno about SLADE

Put a bunch of textures in the wad. To make things tidy, put them between P_START and P_END markers. It's not actually required for it to work at all; but it's good practice.

Select all the textures you've added. Right-click to make the context menu appear, and choose "add to textures". If you don't already have a texture lump in the wad, it'll ask you if you want to create one, choose to copy from the base archive wad because vanilla Doom/Boom cannot deal with cumulative texture lumps.

If using xwe, clicking on the "Patches" tab, then "entry -> load" and load your textures, automatically creates pnames/texture1/start&end markers.

Gez said:

Put a bunch of textures in the wad. To make things tidy, put them between P_START and P_END markers. It's not actually required for it to work at all; but it's good practice.

I NEVER use P_START and P_END. I simply group the patches together in a continuous alphabetic stream, separate from game screen graphics.

This is also an opportunity to mention that the way textures and patches are organized in Vanilla Doom is horrible. You can't just load together several wads containing their own PNAMES/TEXTURE1(/TEXTURE2), the game will quit in error or show invalid textures. It's very hard to mix sets, unless you use a utility that knows how (DeepSea). It's even harder to mix a Doom 1 set into vanilla Doom 2's, or the reverse (such as using texture packs designed for Doom 2, into Doom 1). To top it off, if I use XWE to edit textures, it tends to secretly edit a texture so it looks and is called like another.