Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
blod

Maximum size 4 sprites

Well, just interesting. Is there a limit for sprite size (in pixels) in ZDoom or other sourceport?

There is obviously a limit, unless a practital one then at least in the WAD format (entries cannot be bigger than a certain xx megs).

You should have in mind though that most OpenGL source ports can't handle sprites bigger than 256 pixels wide or high (AFAIK).

I don't know if ports have a limit, but Doom itself has a limit of 320x240, so most editors (including wintex) won't support anything bigger anyway.

I'm not sure GL ports have a max of 256x256. Unless they really strive for 3dfx support. ZDoomGL has a 256x256 limit only on 3dfx mode, and on non-3dfx I don't think it has a limit. Anyway, it's not as if you'd want to put in a massive sprite. I'd say a sprite as big (or a bit bigger) than the spider mastermind would be as large as you'd need...

Originally posted by Espi
I don't know if ports have a limit, but Doom itself has a limit of 320x240, so most editors (including wintex) won't support anything bigger anyway.

AFAIK, that's just WinTex's limit. It seems that you can insert much bigger graphics if you use programs such as DeepSea... without any hacks.

Though you'd need some source port to play it.

Originally posted by Fredrik
[B]AFAIK, that's just WinTex's limit. It seems that you can insert much bigger graphics if you use programs such as DeepSea... without any hacks.

There is a limit in Doom and all ports except ZDOOM. The maximum height is 254. Width should be at least 1024.

The height is a limit of the DOOM format - except that DeePsea has a work around that ZDOOM uses. You can make any sprite (and texture patch) up to 2048 tall.

"What good is that?" you ask - they'd be so friggen big:) Well, ZDOOM can scale sprites down so they get "hi-res" (same thing goes for textures). Right now there's a slight glitch on the sprite POV - will be fixed in next release, when I'll hope make a hi-res sprites demo.

From experimenting with EDGE in the past, the limit seems to be 128 high for sprites, and the width isn't a problem. After that, the sprite starts to mirror itself and gets messed up. That's the EDGE32.exe I'm talking about; GLEdge doesn't have this problem.

Originally posted by deep
There is a limit in Doom and all ports except ZDOOM. The maximum height is 254. Width should be at least 1024.

The height is a limit of the DOOM format - except that DeePsea has a work around that ZDOOM uses. You can make any sprite (and texture patch) up to 2048 tall.

ZDoom is my port of choice yea... So, if I want to make a forest map full of 2048 tall trees.. can I do that with DeepSea?

Originally posted by blod

ZDoom is my port of choice yea... So, if I want to make a forest map full of 2048 tall trees.. can I do that with DeepSea?

afaik, yes.

Originally posted by Lobo
From experimenting with EDGE in the past, the limit seems to be 128 high for sprites, and the width isn't a problem. After that, the sprite starts to mirror itself and gets messed up. That's the EDGE32.exe I'm talking about; GLEdge doesn't have this problem.

I don't see how that would be possible since some original DOOM sprites are higher than 128 units.

Some are a bit taller. A quick search found these:

CYBRM0 136x131
CYBRN0 141x134
CYBRO0 139x134

Just did a simple test. Technically the maximum sprite size is 254, however, like it does for textures, it clips at 128 and tiles it. So in terms of usability it is 128. You can go over 128 a tad and then use the Y offset to sink it down a little, which is what they do with the ones Enjay listed. Or maybe since this is for explosion stuff they don't clip. I should check those maybe too:) You can't offset too much though or else you get that weird "sunken" sprite stuff showing up.

Hm, there shouldn't be any kind of tiling. I tried some big sprites in Millennium (MBF-based engine) and a 150x150 sprite without a vertical "sinking" displays just fine. I would assume it would be the same in later sourceports such as ZDoom.

Plus if I remember correctly, ReX's "Paranoia" level set had a HUGE sprite to replace the cyberdemon, probably just under 256 high.

STOCK DOOM dudes and indeed it does tile. Wasn't that what somebody asked? I already know ZDOOM can do 2048 - so I ASSUMED you'd read the earlier posts.

Any port that uses Lee's later "big patch" enhancements" will do up to 254, but NO larger. Because that's the largest format possible using the ORIGINAL DOOM format.

AND as I already explained too, ZDOOM uses an extension of the format I invented to technically do ANY height, although it's limited to 2048 for practical reasons.

You gotta read the posts before you jump in, dead or not:)

Heh, well he first asked about ZDoom and other ports, so... bah :P

Originally posted by Lüt
Plus if I remember correctly, ReX's "Paranoia" level set had a HUGE sprite to replace the cyberdemon, probably just under 256 high. [/B]

Can you tell me the full name of that wad archive?

Oops, forgot I used to do 508 tall before I went to 2048. So Lee's code can do patches 508 high. Don't remember/know if the sprites will show at 508 since this involves transparent areas, but the code works for texture patches. The 254 is an older limit that a long time ago I discovered was really not the limit either:) Things move forward and the past gets hazy:)

Originally posted by Nuno Correia
paranoia.zip

Get it from the /idgames/ports/ dir.

ftp.cdrom.com is down, any mirrors?