Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why aren't the Doom and Quake games on the Playstation store?

I can't help but wonder, since Wolfenstein 3D is on the PS store and there is a whole section for PS1 classics, why isn't PSX Doom (or any of the Doom games) or any of the Quake games on the PS store?

If Id was willing to re-release Wolfenstein on the PS store and Xbox live arcade and both Doom 1 and 2 on XLA then surely it would make sense to release some of those games on the playstation store as well would it not?

I can't help but feel a bit baffled by Id's lack of interest in the PS store to be honest Q_Q

Thoughts?

Porting to the Ecksbawks is easier because Microsoft's console is a neutered PC in a silly casing. They barely have to do anything. Especially since they delegated the work to Nerve Software anyway.

You'll notice it's not on whatever online shop the Wii uses, either.

Shhhhh They're saving it for Doom 4 to be released

[smartypants\]

But in all seriousness I don't know why couldnt you just pick up the original disc from a Friend, Relative or ebay?

sgt dopey said:

Shhhhh They're saving it for Doom 4 to be released

[smartypants\]

But in all seriousness I don't know why couldnt you just pick up the original disc from a Friend, Relative or ebay?

It was very hard to find a online service that both sold PSX Doom AND was willing to ship them over to my country (Iceland). I wasn't even able to find a PAL version of the game so I had to buy a NA version and play them via emulator, so I can't even use my copies of PSX Doom and PSX Final Doom on my PS3 because of region locking :(

If PSX Doom were to be released on PS store as a PS1 classic then that would take care of that. Another big reason I want those games on the PS store is that I have a PSP so having them on the PS store would mean I would also be able to play them on my PSP as well.

Gez said:

Porting to the Ecksbawks is easier because Microsoft's console is a neutered PC in a silly casing. They barely have to do anything. Especially since they delegated the work to Nerve Software anyway.

That and with XNA (I'm guessing that's what they use?) pretty much all you have to do is change the inputs and bam you've ported to PC, Xbox, and Windows Phone.

DuckReconMajor said:

That and with XNA (I'm guessing that's what they use?) pretty much all you have to do is change the inputs and bam you've ported to PC, Xbox, and Windows Phone.

But how hard is it to bring at least PSX Doom and Quake 2 to the Ps store? Those already have PSX versions so they could just upload them as PS1 classics.

I think in the latest versions of PS3s PS1 emulation is limited compared to the first versions which had full PS1 emulation and some PS2 emulation i think that's why it hasn't been put there yet

I don't think they lost any PS1 emulation, but I'm not sure. But even if it did they just throw software emulators in with the games on their online stores. I think the issue is just perceived lack of interest.

Go go hardcore_gamer run those petitions!

sgt dopey said:

I think in the latest versions of PS3s PS1 emulation is limited compared to the first versions which had full PS1 emulation and some PS2 emulation i think that's why it hasn't been put there yet

Since the Playstation 3 always used software emulation for PS1 games I can say that Doom and Quake 2 both work fine on it. In terms of Doom, my guess is Williams/Midway holds the rights to the additions.

*sigh*

The original Xbox port was a port of the original code base to the Xbox. Which meant they had to convert it from DOS/Linux to an operating system based off Windows NT and using a hybrid DirectX8/9 API.

The X360 ports are based off this code. It needed a bit more work to be X360 friendly than "HERP CHANGE THE LIBS YOU LINK TO DERP". Especially considering they needed to implement Xbox Live multiplayer.

Getting to the PS3 requires a bit more work from there. Any half decent professional game developer can do it.

Why it's not on the PS3 purely comes down to their own decision not to for whatever commercial reason they deem relevant.

DuckReconMajor said:

I don't think they lost any PS1 emulation, but I'm not sure.

The PS3 has full PS1 compatability because the PS1 is simpel to emulate. Older PS3s actually had a PS2 built into them in order to handle the emulation, due to the very unique architecture of "the emotion engine". When this was changed to software emulation due to costs, some compatability was lost. Eventually all PS2 backwards compatability was dropped for financial reasons. It's easier and cheaper to make a PS3 that doesn't have to try and work out the PS2 hardware requirements as well, plus there is then money in doing dedicated HD ports.

... a lot of the time it is music rights violations. It is what keeps Earthbound from getting sold. They could just rework the music.

Okay, I may have skipped over a couple posts, but when did we start talking about PSPs?