Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_MártonJános

Creepiest goth music ever made for DooM.

What is the evilest, creepiest, darkest Gothic-style (but still sonar, meaning it's not like just some background noise thrown together and stretched to an infinite loop up to - say - 6-7 minutes) music made for any of DooM projects, ports or tutorials ever? Bonus points if that soundtrack (midi-compatible, of course) is between 5-8 minutes long.

Spoiler

I'd credit the one who have composed it for using it for Going Cellistics MAP17: Black Cruelty.

But didn't you make the song, Jimmy? Or do you give special permissions to the project author, where the song can only be used in that project?

Sorry Jimmy, none of them is long enough.

I should have said precisely that the track should be at least 3 minutes long... Alice is the one which is the nearest to it, but it's too "dynamic", that's the point. The other two would fit, but only with rounded 2-minutes playtime...

Spoiler

...they wouldn't reflect how long-paced and enormous would Black Cruelty be somewhen in 2017.

I should ALSO have posted this as an example to fit to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCA3z47NKzg&feature=related
This is only available in audio files that are quite hacky to be converted into a midi-compatible file.

TimeOfDeath said:

But didn't you make the song, Jimmy? Or do you give special permissions to the project author, where the song can only be used in that project?

Well, I just don't want to seem like I write tracks specially for certain projects, and then just hand them around for potentially everybody else to use. :P Always best to make sure the project leader is okay with that sort of thing first, in my view.

Cell: Okay, no worries. :P

Here's something by Mark Klem that might tickle your fancy:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=960298&songID=8044047

It's not quite as epic and choral as that Diablo 2 track but it certainly fits the creepiness bill. :P

EDIT: Oh whoops, I don't think that one's available as a MIDI. :(

Jimmy91 said:

It's not quite as epic and choral as that Diablo 2 track but it certainly fits the creepiness bill. :P

EDIT: Oh whoops, I don't think that one's available as a MIDI. :(

Never mind. If I could have used a M.A.K. soundtrack, I would rather "borrow" Slider (Requiem MAP24), but that's still too dynamic, even if less than this that you've posted.

Maybe I should compose it for myself...

It's funny how people often consider dramatic thematic orchestral music "gothic" when "gothic" music is closer to new romantic and post-punk.

GoatLord said:

It's funny how people often consider dramatic thematic orchestral music "gothic" when "gothic" music is closer to new romantic and post-punk.

It's gonna being used for a dark gothic theme map, my friend.

i'm not sure what kind of music is considered gothic, but i think of reverie map 4 or prcp map 1 or the already mentioned map 19, i like those dark, "evil" themes.

Cell said:

It's gonna being used for a dark gothic theme map, my friend.

I understand that, but there is no common usage for the word "gothic" in relation to music that isn't derived from post-punk and new romantic. I'm just being overly analytical.

I'm confused, the title mentions "goth music" but people are talking about "gothic music", I thought the two were completely different.

Not really sure what true goth music is (I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to music related stuff :P) but maybe the midi from MM2 Map27 would work? Its very creepy and epic at the same time.

I can't seem to correlate the word "goth" to any particular sound or music genre in specific. At first I was thinking ya wanted something from the composers that did the music for gothic deathmatches or something. From what I'm eliciting from this conversation you want something with a lot of Timpani, and low octave Synth Strings. Maybe some choir aahs and church organs here and there. Am I going in the right direction?

40oz said:

I can't seem to correlate the word "goth" to any particular sound or music genre in specific. At first I was thinking ya wanted something from the composers that did the music for gothic deathmatches or something. From what I'm eliciting from this conversation you want something with a lot of Timpani, and low octave Synth Strings. Maybe some choir aahs and church organs here and there. Am I going in the right direction?

He obviously didnt mean "goth music", as in Type O Negative, The Cure and stuff like that, but indeed "dark and scary" music, like what you said: timpanis, deep strings/choir and so on. I have no idea why some people call that "gothic", but I guess it comes from "gothic looking" maps, where music like that is often used instead of some metal-midis etc.

I dont have any recommendations though.

darkreaver said:

He obviously didnt mean "goth music", as in Type O Negative, The Cure and stuff like that, but indeed "dark and scary" music, like what you said: timpanis, deep strings/choir and so on. I have no idea why some people call that "gothic", but I guess it comes from "gothic looking" maps, where music like that is often used instead of some metal-midis etc.

I dont have any recommendations though.

Darkreaver got the perfect definition. Now maybe you have better chance to advise me some.

Shadows of the Dead (by Mark Klem) is not suitable, because it's quite sad and rhapsodic as well. Heartbreaking emotions are not so usual in haunted temples that sometimes lead down into chilling, creepy gaol chambers. Maybe you should stick to the Diablo II example I've given.

Jimmy91 - I can imagine Alice being set to a really awesome map like "Nemesis" from Alien Vendetta. And the Ambience track would be bloody excellent for a map I've got in mind called the Rat Run, kind of like an abandoned tech base, although my vision for that map had a pistol-armed player avoiding Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon variants from the Bestiary, monsters which are a bit too epic for such a creepy track.

F*** this. I will have my own method how to make the Monastery's MP3 track compatible with Going Cellistics. I assume nobody is fond of looking for/composing "goth music" just to my rejecting all again, and it enerves even me myself as well. My only remaining question is that - because I have my well-learnt lesson with trying to convert MP3 to midi - whether there is a format that not only is playable in a WAD file as music, but also able to be converted to from MP3 without major difficulties. Obtaining the credits from Blizzard North would be my task.

[EDIT]After several "virtual battles", I finally managed...

Spoiler

...to get the Monastery track into Cellistics17.ogg...

..., so now I'm done with this part of task. Next step: accredit for some creepy Gothic-style textures after scissoring several ensemble from all over the Net.
Spoiler

To make your subscriptions for Going Cellistics more assurable, I will tell that MAP16: The Nylon Factory would have Mark Klem's Scooby as it's track!

[/EDIT]

I keep misreading this thread's title as "Crappiest goth music ever made for DooM". I might as well ask which one it actually is....

Once I've taken this challenge, the Megawad (sic) is announced to be done by an uncertain date in 2017.

Spoiler

MAP18: Escape from the Goth would have the DN3D Atomic track "Departure" (E4M10: The Queen). Since the three following maps 16-17-18 are all based on a weird dream from when I was 11 years old and used to play DiabloII on a regular basis (However, I was willing to do 17 and 18 in DN3D for an instance at 14!).

Since XGC is the sequel of USD from whose E2M1 you could have seen some shots in the Pictures thread and USD is announced for 2014, them both would take about 5 years to complete. Creative crysis is a non-welcome feature!!

darkreaver said:

I have no idea why some people call that "gothic"...

Probably because critics have been using the term "goth rock" since the late 70s to describe a specific brand of post-punk. But it's also (apparently) common to use "gothic" to describe menacing orchestral compositions.