Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sega dude

Was there ever a retail release of registered Doom in the US?

I can't seem to find any evidence that suggests so. I know you had to call 1-800-IDGAMES back in the day to order it. But was in ever sold in stores on CD or floppies? I know theres The Ultimate Doom but was the original game ever sold in retail stores?

I do seem to vaguely recall seeing a retail version at a Babbage's store at the Chesterfield Mall back when I was a kid...

I remember seeing Doom being sold in a store in just a jewel case a long time ago. It could've been Ultimate Doom, but I don't recall it that clearly, mainly because I never owned that version of it.

Also remember looking at the back of the case and one of the pictures was from E1M4. It was just the room with the ledge topped by phasing red lights that can be reached by that one-time elevator in the corner. There were also a few former humans that could be seen there as well. Anyone recognize this? I would love to see it again.

EDIT: Now I've been thinking about it, there might have been another shot with a pinky attacking the player, in either E1M5 or E1M7.

peach freak said:

Here's the back of my grandmother's copy of Doom:

Your grandmother is awesome.
On the topic IIRC some european stores reselled mail order version. There was no dedicated retail version though.
Edit: sorry, didn't see "US" in the title.

Orchid87 said:

Your grandmother is awesome.
On the topic IIRC some european stores reselled mail order version. There was no dedicated retail version though.

I still have no idea how she got ahold of the game. My step-grandfather played it mostly IIRC.

peach freak said:

The picture with the pinky is quite close to what I remember, there was even a candelabra in the background, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't what I saw, don't remember the red layout. I believe the layout was black, much like the front appeared to be.

I'm starting have a feeling that it was The Ultimate Doom after all. Perhaps someone returned the game without a box for some reason and the store happened to accept it. I tried looking for artwork on the back of the jewel case for The Ultimate Doom, to assure my notion, but no cigar.

Kind of noticed some stuff on the cover I put up.

The first picture on top is of E3M2 right? Kind of noticed how the sky you see is the E1 sky, not the E3, but there are Lost Souls in the pic. The other two pictures on the top seem to be from E2M6.

On the bottom, it's easier. E2M2, E1M2, and E3M7.

HavoX said:

I do seem to vaguely recall seeing a retail version at a Babbage's store at the Chesterfield Mall back when I was a kid...

Wasn't Chesterfield Towne Center was it?

Back on topic, to quote wikipedia:

In 1995, The Ultimate Doom (version 1.9, including episode IV) was released, making this the first time that Doom was sold commercially in stores.

peach freak said:

[IMG]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/7/524287_28413_back.jpg[IMG]

I still have a magazine ad torn out that has these pics, with the subtitle: "Want to be a hero? Go to hell!" I wish I saved more of my old Doom stuff.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

This.

Exactly! It's shameful how wasteful we were as children. I've saved just about everything since turning 20, but back then it always seemed like our old interests would simply be replaced by the new, and there would be an endless stream of new for the rest of our lives. But now we find ourselves talking about near twenty year old games on a regular basis. Halo 1 still seems "new" to me.

Vordakk said:

Wasn't Chesterfield Towne Center was it?

Incorrect.

qoncept said:

Official Doom faq

So, in other words, the only legal way to purchase a registered version of Doom B.U. (Before Ultimate) back then was to call id?

My guess is that, unless id themselves made Doom available for purchase in the United States, those copies found in US retail stores were actually pirated.

The Official Doom faq explicitly said any copy of the original Doom was pirated and any copy bought in a retail location was pirated. That was before they (apparently) released it in the countries it now lists.

I only asked because no one on eBay was selling the original doom. I ordered what I thought was the full version but it turned out to be Doom companion edition. Luckly the seller is giving us a refund and taking it back even though they don't accept returns.

I just looked on eBay and yeah, Ultimate DOOM or DOOM Collection was all they had. I guess the original mail order 3-episode DOOM is kinda rare these days. That sucks.

Aldaraia said:

The picture with the pinky is quite close to what I remember, there was even a candelabra in the background, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't what I saw, don't remember the red layout. I believe the layout was black, much like the front appeared to be.

Sounds like the Australian retail box (mine has seen better days), which also has a black border on the front.

(1090x1390 - 514k)

(560x720 - 127k)

qoncept said:

The Official Doom faq explicitly said any copy of the original Doom was pirated and any copy bought in a retail location was pirated. That was before they (apparently) released it in the countries it now lists.

I don't get the first part: any copy of the original Doom was pirated. I mean, can't we have an official copy of the original Doom (ie, mail ordering)?

Anyway, I recall an obvious pirated copy of Doom (actually had Doom II in it) whose box had a few Doom monsters on the front cover and it said "play forever".

buttspit said:

I don't get the first part: any copy of the original Doom was pirated. I mean, can't we have an official copy of the original Doom (ie, mail ordering)?

That should have said any copy on CD-ROM