Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

Top 3 of your most prized games from the childhood

What are the games that give you most nostalgia and you still play them religiously?

Mine are:

1) Doom 1 and 2 obviously. I consider them two parts of the same game, and I play them via DOSBox mostly (I am yet to build a dedicated DOS machine). Ports are fun but I use them less often.

2) Command & Conquer Red Alert. I really LOVE this one. I am not that good at mp, but spend hours at skirmish sessions.

3) Mortal Kombat II. I don't play it as often as Doom and RA, but SNES version has a really special place in my heart.

Don't know about playing them religiously, but if we're talking nostalgia my top three would be Supremacy (a variant of Monopoly), Chinese Checkers and Duck'n'Cover. Yep - I'm ancient.

Seeing as I only had gameboys during my childhood mine are:
1: Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
2: Wario Land 2
3: Super Mario Bros Deluxe

Hmm, this is tough because there are some games I obsessed over, and still do from a nostalgia point of view, but I could only play in the arcades and so I didn't really play them much growing up, nor do I play them much now (S.T.U.N. Runner, Aliens). But if I ignore both these and Doom for the moment, I'd say...

• Cyborg Justice - Yep, I still play this one
  • Herzog Zwei - lol, you kids these days and your Starcraft...
  • Ranger-X - This one still kicks ass

The Lag said:

i remember being completely floored by super mario 64. it was the first 3D game i had ever played

I'm so glad my first 3D game was Quake :D

I like old 2D Mario games but I hate 3D titles because his voice makes me cringe. Same for Sonic.

Orchid87 said:

childhood

When I was a child, no one had computers. :P

As a young teenager, I reckon that I'd go for games like The Hobbit and Jet Set Willy on the ZX Spectrum.

Stepping in to the real computer age, I suppose the games that I feel the most nostalgic about are Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master, Syndicate and I guess that Prince of Persia and Another World are creeping in there somewhere too. I think the Amiga game that I am most nostalgic about is Battle Squadron.

Oh, and Doom. :P

How many of the above do I still play? Doom, of course, and I occasionally dip into EoB, DM and Syndicate.

Rise of the Triad, Epic Pinball, Theme Hospital.

That's right, I didn't get to play Doom much when I was a child, I didn't even have the game until I was 14 or so. It was still a game that greatly appealed to me, but I never got a chance to really get into it as a kid.

yukib1t said:

Herzog Zwei

You don't hear that name much anymore. What an important game in RTS history. I have it in my collection, complete with box and instructions. And it's by the same company that did the Thunder Force series, so you know it's good.

Even though there's so many I'll have to go with Sonic the Hedgehog (genesis) Paradroid (c64) Impossible Mission (c64)

While I don't play them religiously, they would be:

1) Super Mario World
2) Wolfenstein 3D
3) Either Donkey Kong 2 or Quake... can't choose here.

Vordakk said:

You don't hear that name much anymore. What an important game in RTS history. I have it in my collection, complete with box and instructions. And it's by the same company that did the Thunder Force series, so you know it's good.

Whoa, I had no idea they did Thunder Force as well. I'll have to play that again now.

Herzog Zwei was one of the first Genesis games I ever played. The only real downside at the time was the screen resolution it was forced to run at. For single player it wasn't bad, but it got sorta cramped during multiplayer battles.

yukib1t said:

Whoa, I had no idea they did Thunder Force as well. I'll have to play that again now.

Indeed, it was done by TechnoSoft. Another cool game done by them was Elemental Master.

1)Doom 2 - My dad, brother, and myself used to gather around the computer and play this. There was music, but no sound because we didn't know how to configure it to work properly on our machine. We took turns playing on ITYTD and got all the way to map30 before discovering cheats.

2)Pokemon Blue. My first pokemon was Squirtle.

3)Mario Kart 64. I used to play this with my 3 best friends in elementary school, and still play it with my newer friends today.

These are not in an order:

1- Hocus Pocus - the small funny wizard. I feel so nostalgic when I mention this name. I remember watching my brothers playing it while I was watching. This game was very colorful to me with the cool music and sounds, but now playing it in DOS removes the audio sadly. I remember seeing the first boss, or namely mini-bosses, they were wearing red robes. That's not the point, but when I first saw them I shouted "HEY THESE ARE THE GUYS SHOWED AT THE START!". What I meant is this boss was shown the opening screen.

2- Doom II (only II) - not just nostalgic about playing, the game that made me learn using the computer (I'll mention this later). To me, to feel that you are playing it as a small kid, you must "believe" that the structures are realistic which I did. I remember thinking at MAP19 how to get to the other side (which is a lowered sky textured ceiling). I said there should be something there and I was trying for ages.

3- Old racing game which I don't know the name - my first awesome racing game to be played with cool looking cars. I had made a thread before about this topic. Find it here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/56024-looking-for-this-old-racing-game/

What made this game special is that every car had 2 types with different colors, one with auto and the other is manual. If anyone knew this please tell me, I'd like to play it again (after looking for a long time).

Vordakk said:

Indeed, it was done by TechnoSoft. Another cool game done by them was Elemental Master.

They also ported the PC Engine game Devil's Crush to Sega Genesis (renamed Dragon's Fury). If you go in the options menu at the start, you can enter passwords that change the in-game tune to other Technosoft titles. Try OMAKEBGMx (where x is a number between 0-4). It's a great game btw, probably the best video/pinball hybrid of any platform.

Doom, I guess. I've played it so much that its more routine than nostalgic, but it still reminds me a bit of my childhood.

All the old platformer games like Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Jill of the Jungle, Xargon, and Jazz Jackrabbit. That's a huge chunk of my childhood right there. If you want to delve even deeper, mention something I've almost forgotten like Turbo Science or Mutant Space Bats of Doom. Oh shit...

Not counting Doom I'd have to say Streets of Rage, Contra, and Road Rash.

1. Hunter Hunted (If there was a source port I would be play this more than any other game)

2. Master of Orion 2

3. Warlords III: Reign of Heroes

Didn't really play FPSs as a kid was more into Side scrollers and RTSs.