Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

Bobby Prince appreciation thread. (It's not just lame metal midis!)

I'd just like to chime in here and say that Bobby Prince is indeed the man :) I've had a total blast working with him. Here's one of the new tracks he's done for Wrack. Definitely sounds very Doomy to me.

Also, FWIW, he's done another track for the 2nd and 3rd levels in the game, and it's pretty ambient. I'm trying to get him to make it less so. Even if it stays the same, it'll still work great for the level and it'd be something a little different from him.

Has anyone got any links to the doom 1 & 2 soundtracks in good quality and tagged right? I've only been able to get shit ones with no tags and I'm too lazy to tag them.

I personally think that Bobby Prince is a music making genius. Some of my most favorite songs by him are "Running from Hell", "At Doom's Gate", "Kitchen Ace (And Taking Names)", "Hiding the Secrets" and a few others.

IMO, most of the tracks that I like the most are from Doom/The Ultimate Doom.

Edit: I think someday that Bobby Prince should team up with Dan Forden to make one song together.

Orchid87 said:

As for general MIDI sound quality - Doom score was written with real Sound Canvas hardware in mind and those lucky who got it mid 90's can confirm: it sounds just great! GUS is fine too. Adlib is a bit lacking, but that was a common among western composers to be not very good at FM music -leave it for Japanese musicians.

Hmm, WHAT Sound Canvas hardware was the DOOM score written for? I know Roland made a series, like SC-55 and such, but they sound absolutely atrocious. Just about every other MIDI synth, even Ad Lib OPL, sounds better than the extremely dry fake-sounding Sound Canvas. Does all Sound Canvas hardware sound like the Microsoft synth which is horrid for DOOM music? I don't think Robert Prince would have written music for such cheap-sounding MIDI hardware.

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Hmm, WHAT Sound Canvas hardware was the DOOM score written for? I know Roland made a series, like SC-55 and such, but they sound absolutely atrocious.

Precisely this one, the SC-55.

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Does all Sound Canvas hardware sound like the Microsoft synth which is horrid for DOOM music?

Nope. The Microsoft synth is derived from Roland's Virtual Sound Canvas. And that's where the difference lies: the VSC is a poor approximation of the hardware SC. The SC-55 sounds a lot better than its official virtualization.

I really like Neurological, when it comes to Doom MIDI remakes. There was also a time when I did play Doom with it's original MIDIs. But I got bored of them, because I would re-play Doom and Doom II many times.

Nowadays I play Doom with a playlist playing in the background. I listen to soundtracks from various other games, such as Quake, Battlezone or Codename: Tenga.

It really makes the whole Doom experience a lot more different and entertaining!