Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #403

Probably not, but I will fully admit to being butt-hurt about the phrase "butt-hurt". Also, I'm troubled that you didn't respond to Kristus's concerns stated in the first paragraph of this post. Am I going to have to start fact-checking reviews now?

Bloodshedder said:

"Butt hurt" isn't an apt expression, it's a childish dismissal of a person's concerns. If you hadn't actually planned on answering his post, you probably shouldn't have posted anything at all.

Of course I dismissed him. He was constantly claiming that he appreciated my input but at the same time he was acting extremely annoyed about me voicing them. Even to bringing it up again and bitching about it as I was responding to something Udderdude said. And again claiming that he wasn't upset about it. Or butt hurt as I chose to call it. As I stated before, I've come to find it hard to take him serious and with him making ad hominem attacks on my character in some lame attempt to make anything of what I said somehow invalid. I found "butt hurt" to be extremely apt for what he was expressing.

Just because you can say something with fewer words, doesn't mean that there's less there. And I find it frustrating how people here at DW got this childish standard of words. 'Oh, you used a word I don't like, so therefor I will ignore what you said. I will put my own presuppositions in place of what you were saying and completely ignore what you were expressing.' (and why)

kristus said:

And I find it frustrating how people here at DW got this childish standard of words.

I have to disagree with you there, just a tiny bit. Bloodshedder is right to dissuade people from using silly 4chan lingo because it cheapens the forums. I'm not necessarily saying your response had no substance, just that people are often judged by their parlance, for better or worse. In general, Doomworld's standards seem higher than your average web forum as far as encouraging people to speak cogently and avoid trendy leetspeak crap, and I enjoy these higher standards.

kristus said:

Just because you can say something with fewer words, doesn't mean that there's less there. And I find it frustrating how people here at DW got this childish standard of words. 'Oh, you used a word I don't like, so therefor I will ignore what you said. I will put my own presuppositions in place of what you were saying and completely ignore what you were expressing.' (and why)

Nailed it.

Can you guys stop just using this phrase? Not for any of the reasons given here, just because I'm finding myself agreeing with Vordakk and that kind of freaks me out.

I couldn't care less about these squabbles, but fraggle nearly made me spit out my coke I was drinking. :)

Bloodshedder - Yes, it looks like I got my facts wrong with that one actually, I was reviewing a few different wads at once and it looks like I accidentally posted information about another wad into that review. If that makes sense. I'll make sure to triple-check any further reviews.

Kristus - It seems you missed my point about you. My point is that you are entitled to an opinion, I don't have to agree with it, I don't have a problem with you because what would be the point, but I am entitled to defend my reviews. When I saw a list of whiny moans about one of this week's reviews I stated my disagreement with said whiny moans. The fact that the complainer is you has nothing to do with past events, it just reinforces my belief that you like a good grumble. Maybe your custom title should be Longbeard.

Good to see /newstuff drama still has a place on these forums :)

Church looks fairly interesting. I'll have to give that a whirl sometime. Personally, I didn't find much about Phobos Directive to be all that enjoyable, but that's me. Good review, either way.

Came for the drama, stayed for the WAD reviews

Looking forward to playing this stuff. I had to download Voodoo Guns from a different mirror as the normal idgames ones kept "finishing" before it was done, leading to unplayable files. It's been cool, though. Glad to hear another opinion on the Directive besides the derision and unadulterated praise.

MajorRawne said:

Kristus - It seems you missed my point about you. My point is that you are entitled to an opinion, I don't have to agree with it, I don't have a problem with you because what would be the point, but I am entitled to defend my reviews. When I saw a list of whiny moans about one of this week's reviews I stated my disagreement with said whiny moans. The fact that the complainer is you has nothing to do with past events, it just reinforces my belief that you like a good grumble. Maybe your custom title should be Longbeard.

Yeah, so you keep claiming. But you're the one getting back to it. And all I even did here was point out it's pretentious of Udderdude to claim his standards are higher than others because he doesn't like the same things as other people. And then you come parading in bringing our past confrontation up again like that had anything to do with it. Then you go and decide that I like bitching because you can't seem to let that one go. You're really contradicting yourself. You run around bitching about me and somehow I am the one looking for fights or grumbles as you put it? And at the same time, you also claim that you appreciate dissent. Which just blows my mind. You might wish that you did, but honestly. All you're expressing is that you want me to stfu because I don't agree with you, or that I don't try to be everyone's friend.

I think you want me to be someone looking for fights, because then you think you can ignore me as someone just enjoying a "good grumble". So you can go back to still pretend you want people to criticise what you do.

I admit I did see your last posts being more grumbly in general, easy to argue on unimportant things.

printz said:

I admit I did see your last posts being more grumbly in general, easy to argue on unimportant things.

If I seem "grumbly" when I argue with MajorIdiot here, it is because I am.

If you are referring to my post to Udderdude, then that is something you read into that on your own, it was not my sentiment. Besides, who decides what is unimportant? If someone makes a logically false claim, am I not allowed to point that out without it turning into some huge drama circus? Are people here not able to think about anything reasonably? I mean, I got a pretty big ego, but that's nothing compared to someone who can't even accept accept that the self importance they attribute to themselves isn't something objective.

Heh. I think Kristus' title should be "Whiny, self-important grumbler." Longbeards are not noted for their tendency to annoy other people, so he definitely isn't a Longbeard.

Then again I'm MajorIdiot and I've got issues with my back passage, what do I know? ;)

EDIT: Just re-read your last post again Kristus. Do you actually know what all those words mean? Cos it seems like you just blast a load of nonsense into your posts. Apologies if your first language isn't English.

MajorRawne said:

Heh. I think Kristus' title should be "Whiny, self-important grumbler."

He's a moderator in disguise :) He has control over his title and I think he can even ban people :)

printz said:

He's a moderator in disguise :) He has control over his title and I think he can even ban people :)

I think that's just over a hidden forum which "shall not be named".

Liked Phobos Directive. PD makes for a reprise that is much more true to the original E1, whereas KDIZD -in retrospect- I remember as dark, quakeish and complex.

A slightly late reply, I'm only just half way through Hell Awakened, but I wanted to make a couple of observations:

Hell Awakened has - up until MAP 15, and including the two secret maps - been entirely playable and not more than "very tough" on UV with fast monsters. I realise different people will find it difficult at different points, but I would argue that it is broadly well paced even at this fairly brutal difficulty.

However there is a jumping challenge over void in a map that I can't remember off hand. The area is surrounded by cacos and imps, there's some tall poles that one has to jump over to get to a blue armour and teleporter back out. Said "poles" are spaced in such a way that makes it almost impossible to do without clearing out the monsters. Even then I just couldn't do it, and I'm fairly dexterous.

But worse, and so far the only major complaint I have with this map pack, is the end of MAP15 with the "corridor" to the exit. With the cyberdemon there it simply isn't feasible without invulnerability or dialling down the difficulty. Without him, it would have been entirely possible.

Having said all this, Hell Awakened has been one excellent and memorable experience after another and absolutely everyone should play it. This map author has a knack for creating memorable designs, and there's been a ton of them so far.

See, I got further than you before finding it to be too difficult, but my thoughts were that it was just too much of a slog with the numbers of monsters you were constantly wading through. I remember finding the "poles" bit in the void you're decribing quite easy. It was a later thing like that in the hell Cathedral map that was pretty much impossible, due to the thin pathway segments also lowering as you landed on them, even after the monsters were dead. Can't say I remember the are you're having issue with in MAP15, so I can't comment one way or the other.

SPOILER
Well as it happens there is an inv. sphere to be found on MAP15. Using this, if one is quick enough, the cyberdemon "corridor" isn't much of a problem.