Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Making a Megawad with Graphics From Doom & Doom 2

Hey guys, I need some help here. I'm making a Megawad for Doom 2, but I want to be able to use the wall graphics you won't find in the Doom 2 IWAD that are only in the Doom IWAD.

Here's an example of a non-animated wall you will find in the Doom IWAD that cannot be found in the Doom 2 IWAD:

Here's an example of a animated wall you will find in the Doom IWAD that cannot be found in the Doom 2 IWAD:

So what should I do if I want to use Doom wall graphics for a Doom 2 based Megawad? Should I copy the files to the Megawad file or what?

I guess the "legit" answer is to copy the equivalent Freedoom textures into your megawad.

I'd try to mix the skull flats with the Doom 2 metal textures instead. For slad, I'd try mixing sladwall with midbars and nukefall and mix them so they look as one texture, not patches.

Bloodshedder said:

Thanks for that, it really helps! After applying all of the textures to my Megawad using Slade3, I had to replace the Skys from Doom with the ones from Doom 2. I had to rename them from RSKY# to SKY#. But now, I found these in the floor teuture selection in Doom Builder 2:

As you can see, the sky textures are seen as floor textures, and they look really messed up. How do I fix this? If I keep these in my Megawad, then will the game be affected as long as I don't use these new floors that are actually glitched up Skys in my Megawad?

Krispy said:

No, no, no. You're taking the hard way. Just go to Realm 667. They have a texture pack SPECIFICALLY for what you need. It's literally called Doom textures for Doom 2. Just merge the two wads and you're done.
Here:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Realm+667+Doom+Textures+for+Doom+II

OK, so I took your advice and used Doom Builder 2 to save the maps into a copy of the Doom Graphics in the Doom 2 WAD, and now those glitchy floors are gone. I wish I did that before.

Krispy said:

No, no, no. You're taking the hard way. Just go to Realm 667. They have a texture pack SPECIFICALLY for what you need. It's literally called Doom textures for Doom 2.

It's the same wad Bloodshedder linked to only on another site. It also has an annoying glitch in the texture lump that can cause HOMs, I'll post a fix for that later.

There's a difference between wall textures and flats. Flats are simple 64x64 images applied on a floor or ceiling, wall textures can have arbitrary sizes and they are created from other images, called patches, which are indexed in a PNAMES lump. The actual textures are assembled by laying out patches (at least one per texture) in the TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2 lumps.

It gets a bit more complicated for skies because they are actually wall textures that are applied on ceilings or (rarely) floors. The thing is that it's the engine that makes the substitution: you put the F_SKY1 flat and it'll be replaced by a skybox where the sky texture is projected.

What happens if you put the patch corresponding to the sky texture in the flat section? Well then, it'll be interpreted as a patch, which has a totally different format. The result will be something messed up like you have. Also, it will not even work, because it'll be displayed flatly, instead of being projected on a cylinder like skies are.