Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leon

Scairest/ most intense WAD

Define "intense." Most here, i'd imagine, would use the word to describe something with tons of action, like Plutonia or HR, but you're lumping it together with the term "scariest" which suggests a different meaning.

There was a very atmospheric WAD for GZDoom a little while back but I can't remember the name. You started out in a house and by solving puzzles you got to go down to the crypts below the house, then back up again to solve more of the riddle, then back down to the depths again, all the time the fights got tougher and some of them were pretty hectic by the end but it still maintained the freakish, spooky and weird atmosphere throughout.

Anyone recognise it from my description?

Tormentor's "The City Of The Damned" series might also be the correct feel.

I know this probably isn't what the OP wants, but I sometimes have these sorts of feelings while playing certain Espi wads, like Suspended in Dusk for example. Probably because Espi was good at surprising the player.

Early levels in "Hell Awakened..." (reviewed by me in /newstuff #403) definitely fit the bill. MAP11 is a slaughter map and after that things are a lot more action than tension. There's plenty of shock scenery changes, traps coming out of nowhere and monsters appearing when you least expect them. I'd recommend playing on HMP or HNTR to get a better experience though.