Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Half-Life 2 is very similar to Strife

I like Half-Life 2. I mean, I love Half-Life 2. I can't bore it even after several playthroughs. One of the best FPS games in the 21th century era.

When I played Strife, after a short time I notcied that there is a LOT of silimar things in both games.

Do you agree with me or I am the only one?

Story
Both games tell the power of an alien race, and the supression of humans. In Strife, this is the Entity; in HL2, this is the Combine.
Both games have a lonely hero who save the world. (Strife: Strifeguy; HL2: Gordon Freeman)
Both games contain a woman deuteragonist. (the second most important character; Strife: Blackbird; HL2: Alyx Vance)
Both games contains rebel organizations, that defeat the supressors while the storyline.
In both games seems that people use primitive technology, but the supressors have advanced technology.

Enemies
Both games contains modified human soldiers, as enemies, which are more stronger, and stronger. In Strife: Acolyte, Templar, etc.; in HL2: Combine Soldiers.
Both games have non-human of enemies. (Strife: robots; HL2: zombies and antlions)

Places
Both games start suddenly in a town without weapons: in Strife, this is Tarnhill; in HL2, this is City 17.
Both games have very detailed maps.
Both games contain sewers, mine, wastelands, prison and other places as playing areas.

Gameplay
Both games contain a lot of secret places.
Both games contain coversations with other people, even with the guard.

But did Strife have a Gravity Gun? ...Didn't think so.

Anyway, very educational AND informative!

Katamori said:

Do you agree with me?

No. I think the observations are rather loose and don't do much to describe the atmosphere and gameplay of either game.

Fiend said:

Strife 3 will come out before Half-Life 3.

I'd be happy even with Strife 2 too. I loved that stuff, I'm sad because nobody made a sequel for it.

Katamori said:

I'd be happy even with Strife 2 too. I loved that stuff, I'm sad because nobody made a sequel for it.

What about Rage?

fraggle said:

Both have a story. That's about the extent of their similarity.

Rage or Half-Life 2, relative to Strife?

Vordakk said:

I think I'm one of the few people that likes Half-Life more than HL2.

I'll toss my hat into that ring. HL2 bored me to tears and though I've attempted twice, I've never finished it.

I noticed the same similarities when I played Strife for the first time, it was not so long ago. So I absolutely agree with you.

Rage also similar to Stife. Especially the plot, a collision with a space object and consequences of a collision.

Archi said:

Especially the plot, a collision with a space object and consequences of a collision.

This is the plot to The Blob as well.

Only Strife manages to throw in a mysterious and completely unexplained/unexplored connection to ancient Mayan history though, on top of its virus-causing cult-following alien-designed androids with robotic servants.

...and if you make your statements general enough, then every FPS in history is identical.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

...and if you make your statements general enough, then every FPS in history is identical.

You shoot things until they die, then move on.

Gez said:

This is the plot to The Blob as well.

Replace the gravity gun with a fire extinguisher and the similarity is truly uncanny. :-)

True! But in Strife!
- You could upgrade your character!
- You had non-linear approach to the levels!
- 3 endings!
And yes it did not had the gravity gun, of course it did not look at the technology used just before Quake came! But Strife had The Sigil!
I love Strife though, can`t wait for Kaiser`s recreation.

Vortex Lord said:

- 3 endings!

Wait, what?

I mean I just assumed there was two. I have finished Strife several times over the years and only ever got one of two.

Vortex Lord said:

...can`t wait for Kaiser`s recreation.

Wait, what?

Now you really have my attention...

Khorus said:

No. I think the observations are rather loose and don't do much to describe the atmosphere and gameplay of either game.

Very true. You can find many of those elements in a lot of games.

Vordakk said:

I found HL2 boring after playing through it 1.5 times, with HL1 I found myself able to play through it 3 times.

Gez said:

What about Rage?

I was thinking about this too, RAGE has a lot in common with Strife, it could even be considered a spiritual sequel.

I agree that there are a lot of similarities but, when it comes down to it, a lot of them are fairly superficial or features that you expect to find in most story-driven FPS games. The big difference is I enjoyed Strife and didn't have to spend hours on a damned speedboat-thing to get from one place to another. HL2, for me, exposed me to the nightmare that was trying to run a Steam game on my internet connection and was merely OK as a game, saved only by being more fun than Doom3.

The original HL was a significantly better game IMO and it also had people to speak to, sewer levels, aliens, modified humans... ;)

1.) I don't know Rage very well, so I don't know, how many similarities can be found between Rage and Strife.

2.) Maybe I wasn't clear enough with the similarities between HL2 and Strife. The reason is that I didn't play Strife for 1,5 years so my memories are old, and I forgot to tell my view on the Forums previously.

3.) HL1 vs. HL2 discussion is pointless. Both game were amazing in their own age, however I think, Half-Life 2 is very close to the perfect FPS game. Only the graphic mistakes and engine bugs are the only disadvantage I noticed.

This is my opinion, but now I see that some of people don't like tricky parts and the linear gameplay in this game.

By the way, I prefer Quake 2 against HL1.

I prefer the 2.5D FPS games to anything that came after. Let's see what happened after the FPS genre went fully 3D - older games look muddy and indistinct (Quake), much more demanding on hardware for the time means far less on screen enemies, less emphasis on action and more on visuals; the ability to jump became more of a bane than boon because of retarded jumping puzzles that felt awkward and clumsy; after the first Unreal there was less emphasis on exploration, semi-linear maps, and finding secrets, instead replaced by scripted events that were the same during every play through; the stories replaced the fun, fast paced arcade like action - be prepared to watch people talk to provide lots of exposition: this isn't a movie; it's a game! But last and most offensive is that most modern FPS games are designed for online play to dominate, and the Story Mode meant to be played once, because it's too linear to surprise or contain any variance.

I love HL2, it was my favorite FPS game for a long period (no I'm in love with Doom again), but it's not a perfect FPS at all. It's gunplay just sucks. The perfect shooter would be Killzone 2 if it had mouse controls. The shooting there is the most satisfying among the FPS'es ever.

Vordakk said:

What? I thought most people (at least around here) held that opinion.

The people who like the second one more are rather few in number.