Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Toenail

Removing Stuff from idGames

Who do I ask to remove some of my old stuff from idGames database? A lot of the stuff I uploaded there was from my nooby days and I regret it now. I'd rather the stuff was taken down.

Edit: nevermind I should do a search before posting these threads. Found Ty Halderman's email.

I think, if anything, leaving your bad files up can serve as a source of inspiration for new mappers who get picked apart when they release their first maps. Hell, it's not like Cyb asked for Doom Jr. to be taken down.

EDIT: from his userpage:

ty@teamtnt.com

Marnetmar said:

Why would you remove your early stuff from the database? People should always have something to look back on.

Yeah - that's why I insisted on uploading "Weasel's Weapons" to the database years after its creation, solely to fill the gap.

Everybody's got to start somewhere, and honestly I like having my crap mods up there with the better ones. Keeps me honest. =P

If you're talking about mapping, I'd probably like your older .wads especially if they have a 1995 vibe to them.

PS: Do you have a larger version of your avatar somewhere?

If I had anything on there that was old, I would have taken it down to prevent too much clogging, but, putting it all in a compilation .zip file so it can be packed and downloaded easily.

It's mainly the crappy skins and gameplay mods from my Skulltag days that I wanted rid of, as most are now broken, subpar or embaressing to be honest. Also there was some copyright complaints about some of the mods such as the Serious Sam textures and Quake 3 weapons. The maps are not being touched. I know it's mostly trolling but I wanted to be careful anyway. Yeah it looks bad and cowardly on my part to have them removed but I rather they were, sorry.

Do you have a larger version of your avatar somewhere?

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/CaptainToenailSkulltag/CacoTroll-1.png

If I had anything on there that was old, I would have taken it down to prevent too much clogging, but, putting it all in a compilation .zip file so it can be packed and downloaded easily.

I might do this, thanks.

Mithral_Demon said:

I would have taken it down to prevent too much clogging

Clogging? It's a file repository, not Hellbent's toilet.

Captain Toenail said:

most are now broken, subpar or embaressing to be honest.

How about fixing and re-submitting the broken ones. I'd leave the rest, since taking them down is a bit like ripping pages out of a history book.

As Bukowski would've put it, a crappy WAD is like a beer shit taken after 20-30 beers the night before: the stench sticks around for a good 1-2 hours, making you realize that you're truly alive, and giving you fond memories of your produce.

I'm surprised stuff that used to work fine at some point in time then becomes "broken" one day. It sounds like some ports don't have very good backwards compatibility, and there could be lots more files that were affected like this.

Btw, speaking of shit:

http://games.moria.org.uk/doom/du/reviews/01shit.html
This map isn't even close to finished, and it doesn't give permissions to use it as a base for other maps. So what's the point? Well at least he eventually finished it one day (Memento Mori II MAP24).

A lot of ZDoom stuff breaks over time. sometimes these are then fixed again with bugfixes, and other times they are part of necessary fixes and will therefore stay broken.