Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leon

Is it possible to turn a mp3 to a MIDI?

I think easiest would be to use a MIDI composer (such as Anvil) and write the musical notes manually, while listening to patches of the MP3.

To oversimplify a bit, MIDI is like sheet music for computers.

Turning an MP3 into a MIDI file is like turning a book page into a text file. There are programs that can do it automatically, bvt thc rcsv1t rnaji 1ook 1lkc thls.

Also, what happens when you turn a comic book page into a text file? A complete mess.

Printz pretty much summed up the easiest way to do it. It's not easy but it is the easiest

If it's a song from a popular rock band such as metallica, led zeppelin, nirvana, nine inch nails, or something you heard on the radio, you might have some luck seeing if someone has already created a midi of it. Try searching for the song title on musicrobot.com. If it's a song from a videogame soundtrack or an underground band no one's ever heard of, you might just have to download a midi composer and write the song yourself by ear.

ZDoom supports MP3, MOD, S3M, FLAC, OGG and others. Eternity doesn't support MP3 but supports others (including but not limited to OGG). Other ports may support non-MIDI music formats too.

I have a 1 minute 20 second metal tune in which I think will work well for my WAD. I was wondering if there is a tutorial for Anvil or any program in which I can do this, or if someone could possibly do it for me?

Leon said:

So I'm assuming Doom doesn't support any other file type for music?

Vanilla Doom is limited to type-0 MIDI files and MUS (its own custom variant of MIDI); but ports do not necessarily have the same restrictions. ZDoom's documentation conveniently lists what is supported for what. I wish other ports also listed their supported formats somewhere...

Or could someone suggest to me a WAD with intense music (note I have tried Asylum of the Wretched).

Gez said:

Vanilla Doom is limited to type-0 MIDI files...

Wish I would have known this...used Type-1 for Reverie.