Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Are you a Doom player, mapper or programmer?

What side of the community do you best fit in?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. What side of the community do you best fit in?

• Mod/Wad makers
    • Power gamers / speedrunners / multiplayers
    • Programmers
    • Regular players
    • None of the above

I'm just curious how the Doom community is divided between competitive players (speedrunners, multiplayers, power gamers, wad explorers), mod authors (mappers, graphic artists, sound/music artists) or coders (port authors, editor makers).

I tend to be more of a programmer. So far I've been acting as a mapper, but I don't perform too well, and I like having to solve some well-stated problems (which is programming), rather than fantasizing for infinite variants (which is the art). As a gamer, I get bored of most missions unless they're impressive. So coder for now. Only recently I discovered this passion.

Mod author. Still, my projects tend to be over-ambitious, and usually never get done. I know I should start smaller, but I want my projects to stand out from the rest and not just be another generic small-scale WAD. Oh well.

I'm a mapper first and foremost. I like to play too - particulary co-op, but I don't really have enough time so most the playing I do is playtesting.

I'm hoping to re-tip the balance this year by taking a hiatus from mapping and playing more releases but everytime I finish a map for one project another exciting one pops up that I want to be a part of.

I plays lots of Doom but I suppose I would have to put myself as a mapper/modder first. Unless you count map testing, in which case I'd say playing and mapping are about even.

Since I generally don't play Doom mods, I suppose I am a designer. (and I hate the expression "mapper", the correct term is level designer)

Modder for sure, but your levels won't be all that fun if you don't stop and enjoy the game every now and then. Lately I have even started to make my own music, though I am still a newbie concerning tunes.

I've always wanted to get into the programming aspects of the community, as working on ports like eternity and odamex sounds kind of exciting for some reason. Unfortunately, I got a pretty late start into programming (I am only now learning C++ for the first time), and I am not that great when it comes to designing efficient algorithms, so I doubt I could be of any use in this department. I don't even know where to start really.

kristus said:

I hate the expression "mapper", the correct term is level designer

id tech cartographer, perhap? It almost sounds good enough to put on my curriculum vitae.

I'm neither a programmer or competitive player, so by a process of elimination that makes me a mod author and I don't know how well I fit in that category. What this poll needs is an "Other" option.

Probably more of a programmer these days, but I still enjoy mapping every now and again, and will probably get back into it more once I've finished the slade3 map editor. Don't play the game anywhere near as much as I used to, though.

Phml said:

I'm a player but definitely not a competitive one. Weird poll choice...

Same here.

Also there's a bunch of people who don't even touch the game anymore, they just post on the forum. Don't they count?

edit: poll has been edited yay

Level designer and texture artist. I don't really play all that much when it comes to other peoples work. I'm also no good at programming beyond some basic script stuff, which by now has probably been completely deleted from my brain. What I really lack lately is motivation as I haven't touched any doom designs in ages... and that annoys me as I put a lot of hours into the megawad I have in the works.

A bit of everything really but with playing as the main thing I do, I started level designing late last year but I haven't really gotten that far, I also change code and stuff in mods but not the source codes or anthing.

I'm a spreed-runner, the only reason I initially joined Doomworld is so I could submit COMPET-N entries since you can no longer upload files to /INCOMING.

I love multiplayer but since I strictly only play Vanilla Doom and Doom + (and occasionally Chocolate-Doom), it's hard to find players.

If anyone want's to play co-op or DM with me over DOSBox, just sent me a PM.

I use APCIDOOM for all my multiplayer games because it's much faster than IPXSETUP.EXE/SERSETUP.EXE.

PS: What's a "Power gamer?"

I am strictly a player. I leave the wad making to you fine people. I've had a few really cool idea (at least to me) for my own Doom levels but I've just never had/taken the time to learn how to map. I'm having way too much fun just simply playing it to cultivate ambition to map.

Archy said:

"Power gamer?"

Well, let's just say that power will mean nothing in this context... I just thought it sounds cool and people would be proud to be powerful :D

st.alfonzo said:

id tech cartographer, perhap? It almost sounds good enough to put on my curriculum vitae.

My Doom modding hobby is on my CV, as is my site. It actually helps at IT and Games industry interviews, surprisingly enough!

I'm a Doom modder by interest, although I play more regularly than I map/sprite/script/etc. Saying that, "Doom mod reviewer" would be the most accurate representation of what I've done in this community over the last month or so.

In terms of this community I'm really a map maker, but I haven't had time to do much as of late. I also used to be really into multiplayer on ZDaemon as well. I'm really a programmer/developer/software engineer/code monkey or whatever you want to call it. My programming abilities have never really been utilized here, though.

I went from player to programmer without much in the way of mapping or modding. I still do enjoy playing a lot though, and meddling with the code does give you a better understanding of how certain things work (or don't work).