Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Hell's Eye Doom - Vanilla Doom project (5 maps for testing)

Just to test my abilities, I start to make various Vanilla Doom maps, and I called the project "Hell's Eye Doom'. I know, it's not a perfect name, but IMO iT's good enough for a simple project.

My aim is to make a full megaWAD with 32 short, simple and kinda funny levels. Until then, I'll relase demos as often as I can. I need help at testing, so I'd accept any helps.

Latest version of the project:
https://rapidshare.com/files/1619407986/HELLEYE5.WAD

Maps and screenshots:

MAP01 - Into the Unknown (Picture)
MAP02 - Nukage Corridors (Picture)
MAP03 - Arch of the Valkyrie (Picture)
MAP04 - The Forgotten Facility (Picture)
MAP05 - No Man's Land (Picture)
MAP06 - Wilderness Outpost (WIP)
MAP07 - Simple Apocalypse (WIP)

Teaser:

doom2.exe can't load wads with names longer than 8 characters.
Anyway, nice map, with perfect amount of detail. (unlike in some screenshots that you've posted in "post your doom picture" thread) I'd like to see more. :)

^ Disappearing fence looks silly, maybe add a 16x16 bar here to block the view?

Memfis said:

doom2.exe can't load wads with names longer than 8 characters.

Oh, I didn't know that. So, this is the reason why can't /idgames WADs have long name. I've never known the reason.

Anyway, nice map, with perfect amount of detail. (unlike in some screenshots that you've posted in "post your doom picture" thread) I'd like to see more. :)

Thank you! Actually, I love details (watching and making) but sometimes I can't use them well. To be honest, I want to overdetail any possible rooms, but I noticed that if the order of the visited rooms are bad, the map will became cramped.

*image*
^ Disappearing fence looks silly, maybe add a 16x16 bar here to block the view?

I wouldn't like to add any new texture to the project - yet. However, I don't know what's the problem in the picture, because Doom Builder still shows that the fence is OK:

Hi Katamori.

Just played through your map, it is a good little map. Simple, well designed and interesting.

Just for fun, I made an altered version, just to highlight that the different structures felt a bit thrown together, rather than being connected by a strong theme. So the version I did actually uses fewer textures, but uses them in a way that connects everything together. For example, all the switches on the level are the same texture now, all the support beams are the same, and all the raising/lowering pillars are the same. I am not saying mine is better, certainly not, I just did this to highlight this one particular thing, for your consideration. Hope you don't mind.

And I agree with memfis about the fence thing, I put 24x24 pillars where the fence ends also.

Anyway, congrats on your first vanilla map. Keep up the good work. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?qg9u71dv9yt7wyq

KiiiYiiiKiiiA: your version is nice too, maybe I'll use some elements to modify the original one. I didn't notice that the level has no connected theme.

I didn't make any 24 units wide linedefs on the map because I did it quickly and 8 units grid makes working slower.

Download link has changed.

Fixes:
- added MAP02
- MAP01: some textures (a'la KiiiYiiiKiiiA) changed
- MAP01: small pillar to the fence (a'la Memfis) added

I'd be happy if you'd try the second map too,

You did something wrong when you added new sky textures. doom2.exe crashes with the message "R_ProjectSprite: invalid sprite frame 84: 0".
When I deleted RSKY2, RSKY3 and all those markers it ran fine.

Now onto the map itself. I think it was pretty good. The first area is beautiful and the base is cool too. I wonder if it would play better without those door-lifts, I found them a little annoying (just a waste of time). Also, monitors near the start looked odd to me and plutonia-like teleporter felt unnatural. I would prefer traditional red pentagrams instead.

And whoops!:

Oh, and there was too much health items in my opinion.

Memfis said:

You did something wrong when you added new sky textures. doom2.exe crashes with the message "R_ProjectSprite: invalid sprite frame 84: 0".

(...)

Yeah, maybe the markers. I'm not good at WAD editing. It's like Minesweeper, without figuring out, how do you do something badly. It might be because I use a modified Doom 2 WAD to the maps, and when I delete the files, I screw up something.

Too much health? During the test, there were three phases when my health was below 20 HP.

Anyway, thanks for the helping, I'll fix them all.

I must agree with Memfis, way to much health. UV -FAST shouldn't be easy.

But anyways, map 2 was actually pretty good, I really like how you have the wire fence with a little "door" to walk though in the image you showed.

One radiation suite is enough though.

Also, you might want to test these maps with an unmodified version of the vanilla exe and an unmodified version of doom2.wad.

Another tip: Make sure there are no unreachable secrets or monsters, those make UV-MAXers go mad. Also, with a map with no secrets, make the "secret" in a place where the player must walk through, so when they exit the level, it shows 100% secrets as opposed to 0%.

Archy said:

You might want to test these maps with an unmodified version of the vanilla exe and an unmodified version of doom2.wad.

I wouldn't like to do it. I tell you why: literally, I'm the worst player at Vanilla Doom. The old control SUCKS totally, absolutely. At least, for me. Strafe with , and . plus moving with arrows makes me mad.

After that, this is the reason, why I use PrBoom+ for testing and why I ask testing help for Doomworld members who are better at Vanilla Doom than me.

Also, thank you the other tips, I try everything I can.

At least run through your maps with nomonsters ("doom2.exe -file helleye2.wad -nomonsters -warp 2") to detect tutti-fruttis, bleeding textures, etc.

Katamori said:

I wouldn't like to do it. I tell you why: literally, I'm the worst player at Vanilla Doom. The old control SUCKS totally, absolutely. At least, for me. Strafe with , and . plus moving with arrows makes me mad.

Well why don't you change the controls? It's sounds like you're unaware of how to change them so I'll make a config file for you, just fill out this template:

-------------------------------
Forward: W
Back Warp: S
Strafe Left: A
Strafe Right: D
Turn Left: k
Turn Right: ;
Strafe on: L
Fire: O
Use/Open: SPACEBAR
Run: E
Mouse Controls:
Fire: left
Strafe on: Right
Forward: Mid
Sensitivity: 60
----------------------------------

Replace what ever controls you like. Mouse sensitivity can go into the thousands so don't worry about making it to high. And also, do you want autorun on or off?

Also, if you use a non US keyboard and/or don't use DOSBox, my config may not work for you because Doom uses scancodes.

Also, just a question, did you get Doom off of Steam?

Wait, can I change keybindings in Vanilla Doom?! Well, then, I may try it it. (BTW, actually I have Chocolate Doom source port)

And no, I didn't get Doom on Steam. I hate Steam, Doom is the last reason for me to get that sh*t.

Katamori said:

Wait, can I change keybindings in Vanilla Doom?! Well, then, I may try it it.

And no, I didn't get Doom on Steam. I hate Steam, Doom is the last reason for me to get that sh*t.

Yes you can change keybindings with setup.exe. I was asking about Steam because Steam ships Doom without setup.exe, it also ships Doom without multiplayer drivers.

If you know how to use notepad, you can also enable auto-run and increase the mouse sensitivity to (virtually) anything you want, and those options are not available in setup.exe (why?).

Also, Chocolate Doom uses the same config file as vanilla Doom (as Chocolate Doom is just vanilla Doom for windows/Linux) so if you ask me to generate a config file, it should work fine with your port.

Oh yes, the setup. Wow, I'm a really idiot guy. I have never used Chocolate Doom setup, and I forgot that I can change controls.

Thank you!

MAP03 and a test version of MAP04 added.

https://rapidshare.com/files/3453149607/HELLEYE3.WAD

Changelog:
- added MAP03
- work-in-progress MAP04 added (use noclip on that map!)
- MAP02: doors fixed, now they are real doors instead of lift effects
- MAP02: fence bug at the exit fixed
- MAP02: bad use of textures fixed
- I tried to fix markers' problem, I hope now it'll works under Vanilla Doom

Chex Warrior said:

Excited to try this out, I was wondering when your were gonna start releasing some more levels.

After MAP07. I wouldn't like to make the same mistake again: I start something, I relase some levels and then I give up.

Actually, you can try it before idgames relases, I'll give download links here always when I finish another map.

Memfis said:

Now onto the map itself. I think it was pretty good. The first area is beautiful and the base is cool too. I wonder if it would play better without those door-lifts, I found them a little annoying (just a waste of time). Also, monitors near the start looked odd to me and plutonia-like teleporter felt unnatural. I would prefer traditional red pentagrams instead.

And whoops!:

http://i.imgur.com/1FrK3.jpg

This can be fixed by adding another sector in front of the 64 Y offsetted midspace and changing the light level by 1. (from 160 to 161)

pcorf said:

This can be fixed by adding another sector in front of the 64 Y offsetted midspace and changing the light level by 1. (from 160 to 161)

I know, I already fixed it. However, instead of making a subsector, I changed the light of the entire corridor.

BTW, Paul Corfiatis wrote a reply in my project thread...I didn't believe that it will ever happen... :')

Well I decided to be naughty and play the levels real quick. I really enjoyed the levels, they sort of reminded me of something from Scythe, which is a good thing. I'm not sure how it plays from pistol start (except MAP01) but I had too much ammunition. This is probably one of those things where it's just enough for pistol starts but too much for one play through (I know I make those same mistakes). So maybe a little less ammo or more monsters would do the trick.

On MAP03 linedefs 690 and 693 don't have a back upper texture. I also spotted a hall of mirrors when entering through the center door that leads up the staircase to the blue key area. It appeared to the left where the cage is. I'm not sure what to suggest for this, but sometimes when I get hall of mirrors I see it as an opportunity to get creative and maybe place a new area or obstruction in the way of it so it can't be seen. But to be honest with you it doesn't really bother me since it doesn't interrupt gameplay, but I just thought I'd point it out since others might not be so pleased with it.

On MAP04 linedef 429 should have both front offsets to 0, with the front checked upper unpegged so the BROWNGRN texture repeats the surrounding texture and gets rid of the tutti-frutti effect from the lower texture. Sectors 73 and 136 have doors that should have the DOORTRAK textures on the sides to look a bit more nice. Also check them lower unpegged and not upper unpegged.

Anyway, I enjoyed it as a whole. I think you have some cool and creative layouts and ideas for your levels so keep up the good work and stay encouraged to keep working on your project. :) Haha, I also liked that pillar trap on MAP03. Thank you for making these levels.

valkiriforce: Thank you for trying my stuff! Very appreciated because I think your Reverie was a great Vanilla stuff, even recent days, when a lot of people uses Boom or ZDoom instead of the original game.

There are much ammo because I design all the maps for pistol start - I think too much ammo is better than if you can't finish any maps with pistol start. Maybe I'll edit it before demo-relasing, but I wouldn't like to do it yet, I'm rather focusing on new maps.

MAP03 and MAP04 mistakes are fixed, thank you too for mentioning them! However, I have no idea, what was that HOM at the main door you said. BD2 doesn't write any mistakes even with the "debugger".

By the way, MAP03 was inspired by you: some months ago I saw a picture of you in "Post you Doom picture!" thread, with the word "Idunno" and it gave me some inspirations from my memories. :)