Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nomad

20 Years of Doom tribute collaboration! -- Sign up now!

I'LL TAKE TWELVE

No seriously, I just might be up for this. I'm wayyyyy rusty (literally have not mapped in almost two years) but I am positive I could find time in two years to make one damn room. :P

Also HOLY DAMMIT was 13 years of Doom really 4+ years ago?! WHERE HAS MY LIFE GONE

Maybe this will get a little more attention if put in the Wads & Mods section? Can a moderator take care of that, by chance?

Also one thing we'd need to decide beforehand is what format the map would be in, which considering it's celebrating the life of Doom, we should make it (at the very most) limit removing, vanilla compatible. There's a lot of good Vanilla style wads coming out lately, so I bet this will turn out pretty sweet. :)

sgtcrispy said:

How about instead of that, you use that energy to help finish FreeDoom?

I approve of this. Having a complete IWAD replacement for the 20th would be a nice tribute.

newt said:

Also HOLY DAMMIT was 13 years of Doom really 4+ years ago?! WHERE HAS MY LIFE GONE

Heh, it's been 8 years since I did the first one for Doom's 10th. :p

I don't think I'll be able to help with this at the moment. Maybe at a later date but right now I'm totally not into level designing. It's a good idea to get it started now tho. Maybe I just need inspiration from somewhere... :p

OK. So for now I will go ahead and direct this thing. Do we have an agreement for what format the map should be in? Vanilla, limit removing?

If so, I will go ahead and try to draw the main layout and I'll update the first post of this thread with a rundown of what's going on and who is assigned to each character; you all who are interested can go ahead and reserve the letter/number you want now! Since I did the F in 13 Years, I may as well do it again this time. ;P

What the heck - I'll claim zero (0) and try not to make a dogs breakfast of it. I think vanilla's the more appropriate choice for a milestone anniversary.

I'll take an E please?
That'll be level 4, if that's how you want to organize it. Another way would be to have everyone save their letter/level as a doom builder prefab (if everyone uses doom builder) and then pile them together onto one level. Maybe use teleports to connect them.

Krispy said:

That'll be level 4, if that's how you want to organize it. Another way would be to have everyone save their letter/level as a doom builder prefab (if everyone uses doom builder) and then pile them together onto one level. Maybe use teleports to connect them.

I'm still deciding on how to coordinate everything. With 13 Years, it was decided to have a schedule with three day windows between each person to add their part of the map. But there ended up being lots of people that dropped out, some people took too long, etc. That's partly why I thought it a good idea to start pretty early.

Will let you all know when I decide on what we're doing, and I'll set up for it.

I'm signing up for the 'R', as I intended to get back into mapping within a month and will definitely have time in the next two years to make one letter-map in vanilla/limit-removing.

Yes, it will be in Doom format, implying Vanilla compatibility using Doom.wad. However it will be limit removing so Chocolate Doom is probably the most likely recommended testing port. Custom textures will be allowed, as the rules (in the first post) detail.

Keep in mind that all of our contributions will be on the SAME map, and fairly close together, so keep in mind that you will need to wait for the base map before you can really start; and that while you will be able to use map space outside of the letter, you will need to coordinate with the others for what area you are using.

For reference, the base map will look a little like this:

OK, doom.wad, doom in doom format. But we need a standard letter size.
I propose 7168 by 5120.

Krispy said:

OK, doom.wad, doom in doom format. But we need a standard letter size.
I propose 7168 by 5120.

You won't be able to fit 1/4th that many enormous 7000-unit letters into the map format without breaking the blockmap and everything else.

Not to mention that would make the map unbearably long to play. 13 Years was long enough, to be honest.

Then suggest a more reasonable size. There's got to be something.
Not only a size, we need a font. I guess the doom intermission screen font would do.

How about a size small enough to encourage mappers to work together and use their letters not just as separated rooms but as segments of larger, more interesting scenes? Some of the letters could be offset from each other a bit, too, to go along with this.

Too bad I'm currently working on too many maps to participate in this. :(

Wasn't there some other project called "20 years of Doom" with a thread here a while ago?

Processingcontrol said:

Wasn't there some other project called "20 years of Doom" with a thread here a while ago?

I remember seeing a very ambitious project with a proper "evolution" of styles throughout the mapset coming under this heading. How that's faring now is something I've no idea about though.

This kind of reminds me of the startup cutscene in Doom 64 which shows the level turning into the letters spelling DooM.