I think they should use characters like

Doom
Crash
Phobos
other
other
other
other

or so, for Doom 3. Each character would be like able to do different things like Doom hates automatics but anything powerful is his friend, crash rules with weapons like shotguns and pistols but other weapons can be a little to hard for her to handle, stuff like that, don't you all agree?

How do you mean? playable characters? or team mates? Actually... That gives me an idea: Say instead of one character for about thirty or so levels/episodes, have three or so characters and after the intro sets the scene each chapter is the same event from some another characters point of view. there would be like different events, and stuff, but same "scenario" (Kinda like half-life but in the game to start with not addons) Also if co-op is available (It should be, but I doubt it :|) have the players as different characters, one as say...Crash, other as Doomguy. Same story, but maybe different events. Just an idea.

[edit] Re-read this, if you have already read it, I proof-read it, and hopefully corrected my mistakes [/edit]

Originally posted by bigbadgangsta
I think they should use characters like

Doom
Crash
Phobos
other
other
other
other

or so, for Doom 3. Each character would be like able to do different things like Doom hates automatics but anything powerful is his friend, crash rules with weapons like shotguns and pistols but other weapons can be a little to hard for her to handle, stuff like that, don't you all agree?

lets see...

Doom
Crash
Phobos
Deimos
DoOmMaRiNe69
ULTIMATE DOOMER
1337guy

NOOO! The wishlist! It burns! IT BURNS MY EYES!!!1

Seriously, if I ever get around to it, I'd like to make a megawad/near-total conversion that uses a totally revamped source port and a lot of my own Doom 3 "wishlist" ideas. I'd make the main character Phobos, starting with how he scrambled to the moon Phobos after the shit hit the fan, and ending with how he got sucked into the Arena.

Right, just as I thought, but personally, I've had it with classes.
I don't want them in D3, What I do want, maybe not in D3, but maybe in an MP mode in another game like Quake 4 or such, Is to pick a character before the match starts, choose your own equipment instead of getting stuff assigned to that character, but have limited room, like the Deus Ex inventory. With a system like this if you choose lots of heavy gear you'll slow yourself down, but lighter gear you'll run faster, the only problem is if you go for the lighter equipment, you might not have any effect against the heavier equipment and the heavy stuff can't track the lighter gear because the player moves too fast. So you'll need some balancing there, like maybe the player with the heavy equipment is susceptible to a tank, so the lighter equipped player can use vehicles, while the heavier guy can't use tanks, but has anti tank gear.

Yeah, kinda like Urban Terror. That would be good for Quake IV's mp IMO. A lot more militarystic too.

Urban terror. Hey...better check that out.
Yeah that's what I meant, because although we know next to minimum about the new doom, I'm not sure if it would be appropriate. but if they put it in. cool.

Originally posted by Fredrik
Mine does though.

But not because you're Swedish.

Originally posted by Lüt
But not because you're Swedish.

No, because I'm teh 31337 guy.

Did it ever occur to you that not ALL Swedes are like fredrik?

^
|
|
(My obligatory reply to such remarks)
:-P

Originally posted by dsm

Did it ever occur to you that not ALL Swedes are like fredrik?

You wish

So you mean like Rise of the Triad? Yeah, I can see it all working. Provided for the love of God that their names are Doom, Crash, Phobos... etc...

I personally think it'd be good if they didn't have names at all.

And why the hell does my registration date keep changing? I registered it June of 1999 goddammit!

S./

Originally posted by SoKatH
So you mean like Rise of the Triad? Yeah, I can see it all working. Provided for the love of God that their names are Doom, Crash, Phobos... etc...

I personally think it'd be good if they didn't have names at all.

And why the hell does my registration date keep changing? I registered it June of 1999 goddammit!

S./

1)yeah
2)that would suck
3)HAHAHAHAHAHA

I spell F-L-Y-N-N, what's that make?
FLYNN!
I spell F-A-G-R-A-T, what's that make?!!!
FAGRAT!
Whatd'ya say?!
FLYNN FAGRAT

Go go Flynn Fagrat!

2)that would suck

WHAT???
It would suck if the characters in Doom 3 had no names???
You seem to have forgotten that one of Doom's charms is that the player character has no name, meaning that you are free to give him whatever name you please - you can even imagine that the Doomguy is YOU yourself.

Please don't tell me that you want that cool aspect of the old Doom games taken away from the New game.

Originally posted by dsm

WHAT???
It would suck if the characters in Doom 3 had no names???
You seem to have forgotten that one of Doom's charms is that the player character has no name, meaning that you are free to give him whatever name you please - you can even imagine that the Doomguy is YOU yourself.

Please don't tell me that you want that cool aspect of the old Doom games taken away from the New game.

I fully agree with that.

And I think no name would make the Doomguy justice... :P

Again, the different characters are a thing that could work for Quake4, but not for the lonesome hell trip that is Doom...

BTW, is there anything we can do to be absolutely 100% sure that the Doom marine will not be named Flynn Taggard? Maybe quickly releasing a game that is called Flynn Taggard, and then having the copyright of that name? Just an idea :D

I think we're safe Tetzlaff. The Flynn name came from the books, which the iDguys thouroughly disown. Sleep easy friend. ;)

S./

Playable characters in Doom 3

Ralphis
Deathz0r
Liam the Bard
Captain Skippy
Archvile46
Duker900
Erico
ShotDown

Originally posted by Liam the Bard
Playable characters in Doom 3

Ralphis
Deathz0r
Liam the Bard
Captain Skippy
Archvile46
Duker900
Erico
ShotDown

I'm gonna shoot the whole id crew if they put THAT cast in the game.