Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xtife

ZDL interface messed up on win7

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before.

This is what ZDL looks like for me on my new win7 computer, http://i.imgur.com/zeXSD.png and I can't resize it

On my old winxp machine, it worked fine. Im wondering if im missing anything for it to work right.

Well that sucks big fat ones. i need to find a new launcher now with zip and pk3 support. im just glad it isnt something on my end

What can you do if some people thing that 'the smaller, the better'?

This micro-sized window has been bothering me since ZDL first appeared. Of course it had to break at some point.

Try to reduce font size.

Right-click on your desktop. Choose "Personalize". Select "Window color and appearance", then "open classic appearance properties for more color options", and then click on the "Advanced" button.

From there you can change and resize the fonts used by various UI elements. Use smaller settings and see if it fixes it.

Graf Zahl said:

What can you do if some people thing that 'the smaller, the better'?

This micro-sized window has been bothering me since ZDL first appeared. Of course it had to break at some point.

ZDL may be lightweight, fast and unobtrusively feature-rich, but I agree the size and rigidity of the GUI is an arse to the face. Perhaps he was just trying to be consistent with the "smallest" philosophy that influenced other aspects of the app?

Either way, this can't possibly be that hard to fix with the source code available.

Does it happen with all versions or just 3.1a? I'm running 3.1 on Win 7 64 bit and it works just fine:

I think this is because im using a resolution of 1920x1080 and it just resizes all elements regardless of whether it is support by the program or not. Resizing the font might work, but then i couldn't read it at all, it needs to be a per application option. Or just releasing an updated version is also a possibility, I prefer this option :p

Xtife said:

I think this is because im using a resolution of 1920x1080

I run 1920x1200 which isn't too dissimilar I would have thought.

He probably re-adjusted the DPI of Windows. The default is 96 dpi, but if you have something like 120 dpi, well, ZDL comes out like that.

Enjay said:

Does it happen with all versions or just 3.1a? I'm running 3.1 on Win 7 64 bit and it works just fine:

that's exactly how i see it too, on win7 64 bit, in both 1920x1080 and x1200, at standard dpi.

Or you can try ZDLSharp, an improved version of ZDL. Works like clockwork on my Win7 machine.

It's version and C++ redist-dependant. Only solution is to use the 3.1a fixed version, that comes with the big-ass bundled runtime .dlls.

I have used ZDLSharp as well, it has its UI cuttup as well but not near as bad as 3.1a

I get the same issue on winxp.

I thought I remembered seeing a fairly recent thread about someone making a new version of zdl that fixes this problem. I can't seem to find the thread though. It was either here or in zdoom forums. Anyone else see it?

Sorry, I had not tested on NT based os, just my Win98.
I did that quickly.
It seems that the exe is not valid for NT, that is strange, I thought I only made modifications with ResHacker. I am far from my PC for the moment and for all week; what you could do is just Copy/Past dialog resources from cracked one to a vanilla 3.1a with any resource editor.

Sorry for bad exe

Know I have fixed the problem.
For information wat i did is just to make the dialog smaller; because the program resize its windows in a pixels fixed size and not relative to font size.
So if you use something else than 120dpi, it will look bad!
I know it is a stupid, quick and dirty hack...
Still the same link:
http://gillibert.homelinux.net/BINNT/120dpiZDL.zip
Tested on XP this time.

Ramon_Demestre said:

Know I have fixed the problem.
For information wat i did is just to make the dialog smaller; because the program resize its windows in a pixels fixed size and not relative to font size.
So if you use something else than 120dpi, it will look bad!
I know it is a stupid, quick and dirty hack...
Still the same link:
http://gillibert.homelinux.net/BINNT/120dpiZDL.zip
Tested on XP this time.

Regardless, it's more than anyone else has done for this :)

It works for me now, and it's awesome :D Thanks for doing this

I made 2 new versions, this time, I disbled (NOPed) the call to
USER32.DLL:SetWindowPos
and I set to not grayed by default the lower part of dialog box.
With this, it should work with any dpi settings.
However, you will not have the Hide/Show details option, dialog is always in detailed mode.
I although added a uzdl.exe (u for micro) wich has the very small dialog I made for 120dpi settings but who this time works with any dpi settings.
http://gillibert.homelinux.net/BINNT/ZDLpp.zip
If you like damn small clostrophobic layouts then give it a try...