Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thelostsoul83

the raspberry pi

Anybody else excited about this little gadget?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mDuJuvZjI
It is a computer the size of a credit card that can play Quake 3 in 1080P and only draws a couple of watts. It has no fans and can be used for hobby projects. I personally think it would be cool to build one of these into an original GameBoy with a modern TFT screen.

They're about to release 10,000 of them, and I hope I can get one of the first batch! (the $35 B model)

A friend and I were looking at its specs last night; it seems fairly limited in terms of RAM and CPU power and we figured pretty much the only practical use is browsing the web and email. Still, for $35 it'd be neat to play with and I'll probably try to get one...

The TrimSlice looks even more interesting. It's the same idea as the Pi but with a significantly more powerful CPU, more hardware options (the fancier ones even come with a 2.5" HDD, I think) and a case. However, it's a bit more expensive (in the $200-$350 range, depending on the model).

256 MB RAM is plenty enough if you don't run memory hogging programs, which admitedly are very popular these days (desktop "environments" and their associated bloated programs). Heck, my laptop only has 512 MB, but I dedicated 1/4 of it to a RAM disk, so I effectively have only 384 MB RAM, and yet most of the time over half of it is free, and it's only once in a blue moon that I hit swap. It really just comes down to being aware of the programs you use and how they perform, and finding leaner alternatives that still fulfill your basic needs. Also, in some cases it's possible to run in console/framebuffer mode and cut out X entirely.

So this only costs $35? Are the chips available individually (and the schematic open-source) or not?

Trying to order one if I don't have to use paypal (we don't like each other.) Just to have something non-expensive and easy I can play with.

Im buying a couple when they are available. Why? Same reason I bought an iPad. No particular reason, but damned if I like having one.

So theres a new tiny computer that came out and I'm thinking about getting it. Link about it below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

So I'm wondering if you think this will run DOOM and mods and such on full speed. Thinking about making it my own DOOM console where I can just hook up and play :D

What do you guys think? Can it do it?

Also what do you think of the raspberry pi in general?

To mods
Didn't know if this belonged on the DOOM general or everything else. Feel free to move it it you find it out of place(implying that stops you moving/deleteing my threads anyway).

I really want to know what are the processor specs, and if it has a datasheet publicly available too :) I love reading processor manuals.

EDIT: oh, wiki helps. Good.

Didn't know about this until now, so thanks I guess. I find it mildly interesting, and might purchase one for the hell of it. This sounds like something really fun to play around with, especially for the cheap price tag. A portable Dooming computer that I could hook up to any television would be great, but I'd probably be more inclined to mount it inside of my broken Atari 2600 Jr. unit with a small solid state drive and run a 2600 emulator on it (lol Atari Flashback Junior).

What really sets it apart from MC and PIC boards like the Arduino and ARM-based barebones, is the raw 700 MHz power of its ARM CPU, the built-in GPU and the plentiful -for an embedded system- RAM (256 MB).

At its price tag, you get much, much less if you choose to go with the competition. It even has built-in audio...with the right software it could even give some netbooks a run for their money, so it surely can run Doom and much more (probably even Quake III).

Maes said:

What really sets it apart from MC and PIC boards like the Arduino and ARM-based barebones, is the raw 700 MHz power of its ARM CPU, the built-in GPU and the plentiful -for an embedded system- RAM (256 MB).

At its price tag, you get much, much less if you choose to go with the competition. It even has built-in audio...with the right software it could even give some netbooks a run for their money, so it surely can run Doom and much more (probably even Quake III).

Oh dear. Definitely sounds high-tech.

OH shit. I could use one of these if I wanted to finish up my dream of making a custom jukebox.

You know a jukebox would be cool. Could play pretty much any format with this thing!

printz said:

Oh dear. Definitely sounds high-tech.

I can't understand if that was meant to be ironic, but try to shop around for what's (or rather what's NOT) on other prototyping boards at that price range, and you'll see what I mean. It even puts the hardware of a lot of current smartphones to shame, again at a fraction of the price (then again, adding a shell, screen, battery and telco modules would add up to the price....), and it surely puts the GP2 or other portable "linux consoles" to shame.

25 bucks only? Damn, that's awesome! Too bad it doesn't come with a casing or something. It kinda looks shitty with only the barebones circuitry.

Maes said:

I can't understand if that was meant to be ironic, but try to shop around for what's (or rather what's NOT) on other prototyping boards at that price range, and you'll see what I mean. It even puts the hardware of a lot of current smartphones to shame, again at a fraction of the price (then again, adding a shell, screen, battery and telco modules would add up to the price....), and it surely puts the GP2 or other portable "linux consoles" to shame.

That's what I meant when I said that, unless it's just a temporary marketing campaign to keep the prices low.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
Too bad it doesn't come with a casing or something. It kinda looks shitty with only the barebones circuitry.

I suppose you'd prefer something flashy like an Apple? Coming up with a novel case design will be part of the fun, I might try disguising mine as an Amiga 500.