Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bcwood16

Enterprise animation

Hi Guys,

Thought I could show off my project I have finally finished! Been working on it for a long time now!

Its a high detail model of the USS Enterprise from the 2009 movie!

I then created a flyby of the ship to see what she looks like.

I intend to make some tweaks to the model as im not quite happy with it yet.

Anyway, here is the Youtube link

http://youtu.be/pD2f40jDaNg

Please feedback any thoughts.

Cheers

Looks really great and the detail is superb. I really like the shimmer of metal as it goes over the top disk. My only complaint: In space, there is no ambient light, so the darkest areas of shadow should be pitch black, rather than just very dark.

Indeed. However, lots of parts of the ship would be lit by light reflecting from other parts.

If we're going to nitpick lighting, I'd just like to rant about the stars. When your frame is filled with big, shiny things like the Enterprise you won't see stars. Stars aren't that bright. I think films set in space would look more dramatic if the stars only came out in situations where the camera really would see them.

Aliotroph? said:

If we're going to nitpick lighting, I'd just like to rant about the stars. When your frame is filled with big, shiny things like the Enterprise you won't see stars. Stars aren't that bright. I think films set in space would look more dramatic if the stars only came out in situations where the camera really would see them.

Yes, but it' practice in the source's universe. It's like complaining about hearing sounds in space in an x-wing animation.

Thanks for feedback guys :)

Im glad all the detail I put in is paying off, never done anything this detailed before.

Wow, simply wow. All this done by yourself?
Aren't there entire teams of CGI artists who work on things like this in movie/game productions?

ellmo said:

Wow, simply wow. All this done by yourself?
Aren't there entire teams of CGI artists who work on things like this in movie/game productions?

Glad you like it :)

There usually is a team to complete something like this, but this is not as detailed as what they do!

Keeping in mind I did work on the model on and off most of last year, I was also worried about my texture work as I suck as textures! This was not so bad as I put lots of geometry in so I could get away with textures not being fantastic.

Overall, it did take a long time to do and im sooo glad its over with now lol

If I was in a team this would have been completed a whole lot sooner. I wanted to see if I could do it all myself and I learned loads in the process which was also the second aim of the project.

I will do more with the ship now that its complete, but will have a break and work on something else.

Thanks for watching :)

chungy said:

I'm feeling this topic should be balanced out with some criticism but I can't think of any.

lol - cool thats a good thing, but it is the first high detail model I have made and I did 'rush' the final movie in the end so a few things I am not happy with.

Ok, so to balance things out a bit I shall add a few things I have had feedback with and what I am not happy with :-

The hull is too reflective and should be defused more
The decals are not reflective
The warp jump needs more work, it just disappears (should be faster too)
Warp jump has no stretching

As for the model, the saucer is too fat, making the ship look smaller then it should be.

The bridge it too high and bulky, the shape is right, but it needs to be stream lined a bit more.

Nebula should have more colour.

There is always room for improvement, but im happy enough with it as a preview.

Now the main work on the ship is complete - future animations using her should hopefully be more polished.