Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MRB_Doom

Student dies in Ohio school shootings

I saw this about an hour ago, and my first thoughts weren't "this is a horrible thing that has happened" but rather:

1. How fast is there going to be a thread on dw about this?

and

2. How many posts before someone sincerely or sarcastically wonders aloud if the media is going to "blame video games like doom for this"

I am a terrible person.

If Doom still gets notoriety for these things, I'd see it as nothing but flattering at this point. You don't see classic action films getting blamed for violent crimes anymore.

Quast said:

I saw this about an hour ago, and my first thoughts weren't "this is a horrible thing that has happened" but rather:

and

2. How many posts before someone sincerely or sarcastically wonders aloud if the media is going to "blame video games like doom for this"

I am a terrible person.

My first thought was more fuel for the republican fire.

Technician said:

My first thought was more fuel for the republican fire.

Don't be too hard on the sellout Republican media / politicians, they get paid to purposefully make themselves look like morons, so that when Obama signs something like the NDAA, people can say "Yeah well atleast he's still better than THOSE guys!". :p

On my way to college, I thought heard something about a shooting going around somewhere on the raido, but I was listening to music so I didn't hear much. But when I got to college, people were gathering around near the cafeteria, and I went over there to see what it was. I aksed my friend who rode with me on my way to college (he works at the cafeteria at the college), and he told me there was a shooting going on. So I looked at the TV he and everyone else was looking at and saw what was going on. That's when I found out what was going on, and during my time in the college's workout room, the news about the shooting was on all the TVs in the room.

Also, I feel sorry for the family that lost their child to the shooter, and my prayers will go to them.

DeathevokatioN said:

Don't be too hard on the sellout Republican media / politicians, they get paid to purposefully make themselves look like morons, so that when Obama signs something like the NDAA, people can say "Yeah well atleast he's still better than THOSE guys!". :p

Nah, Santorum and Gingrich have always been this crazy. Repping the idiot shtick since Clinton.

Quast said:

and

I am a terrible person.

That's exactly what I'd have thought if I hadn't seen it here first. Murder happens. Moral panics are ultimately more tragic and more interesting.

bytor said:

School "lock-down" will just get uglier. More failed levies coming.

These school lock-downs have proven to do nothing, but people are too stupid understand. One person in the CNN comments section made an interesting point: You treat kids like inmates, they act like inmates.

Technician said:

These school lock-downs have proven to do nothing, but people are too stupid understand. One person in the CNN comments section made an interesting point: You treat kids like inmates, they act like inmates.

Aren't these school lock-downs what kind of got the majority of the victims during the Virginia Tech massacre killed in the first place?

EDIT: Ok, that and the lack of communication between students and faculty and security forces telling them about a possible gunman on the loose...

What exactly were lockdowns supposed to do? I remember in elementary school they actually brought out the "well they'll think it's out of session! they'll think they're just all closets!" which is a VERY illogical statement to ever make, since the attacker/whatever is going to know that they're in a school and they're going to know the standard operating times and they're going to know that the students are probably hiding and everything.

I assume they probably just wanted to get students out of the way, but doors can be broken down and everything.

Lizardcommando said:

Aren't these school lock-downs what kind of got the majority of the victims during the Virginia Tech massacre killed in the first place?

You'd hope people's thinking would run along the lines of: "Locking people in with the killer would be a bad idea.", but alas, no.

InsanityBringer said:

I assume they probably just wanted to get students out of the way, but doors can be broken down and everything.

It's a situation where it's difficult to predict what scenario would cause the most casualties.

I have two thoughts about the concept of the school lockdown. One, maybe the idea is like the modern-day equivalent to "duck and cover." Sure, it won't do jack shit, but it makes people feel better to know there's a procedure in place, even if that procedure accomplishes nothing. The other is that maybe the point isn't for the safety of the students, but rather, to ensure the apprehension of the suspect. I mean, think about it - if everyone just ran out the building, it'd make it easy for the shooter to simply disappear into the crowd.

Some initial (perhaps fucked) up thoughts of mine:

1) Scanned through the article, breathed a mental sigh of relief that the death toll was small (seems to be less than a half dozen) rather than 10 or 15.

2) Was kind of surprised the gunman didn't kill himself before being apprehended.

3) This is very superficial and narrow-minded, but I found the student quotes to be pretty lame, as I find myself examining how mundane and samey "man on the street" quotes always are. It's like "Well, jeez, c'mon, they just witnessed a shooting in their fucking school," and I'm thinking, "Yeah, but they still could have been more articulate."

geekmarine said:

I have two thoughts about the concept of the school lockdown. One, maybe the idea is like the modern-day equivalent to "duck and cover." Sure, it won't do jack shit, but it makes people feel better to know there's a procedure in place, even if that procedure accomplishes nothing. The other is that maybe the point isn't for the safety of the students, but rather, to ensure the apprehension of the suspect. I mean, think about it - if everyone just ran out the building, it'd make it easy for the shooter to simply disappear into the crowd.

Duck and cover is a good thing to know in case you witness an a-bomb going off. The idea is to be as shielded as possible from the line-of-sight radiation and from the fallout (not to mention heat, debris, shockwaves, etc). If you have time to actually do it then it might save you.

As for lockdowns, they may also work in cases where roaming outsiders approach. What comes to mind is the girl in elementary school who had to be protected from her rogue father with plans to abduct her. A violent person external to the school will have more trouble operating in such conditions.

Everyone already pointed out it won't work so well when students are involved, especially if the students are intelligent and calculating. When I was in high school my favourite example was the assemblies they forced everyone to attend once a month. Lock 2000 people in a gym and see if that's not the time psychos pick to start killing people.

Aliotroph? said:

Everyone already pointed out it won't work so well when students are involved, especially if the students are intelligent and calculating. When I was in high school my favourite example was the assemblies they forced everyone to attend once a month. Lock 2000 people in a gym and see if that's not the time psychos pick to start killing people.

Wait, are you telling me your school's lock-down scenario was to put the entire student body in a single room?

First fatal school shooting in Sweden. Bromma gymnasium 2001.

A childhood friend of mine knew the victim's older brother. My friend recalls that Nicola Vasmatzis, the victim, was a very kind person but got into deep trouble when he allegedly stole the perpetrators Valium pills. Artur Kunat, the shooter, shot Vasmatzis in the throat at point blank range and he died on the scene.

Scroll down to see a pic of Kunat.

Technician said:

Wait, are you telling me your school's lock-down scenario was to put the entire student body in a single room?

No, that was the assembly procedure. Beats me why nobody ever exploits those. Maybe you have to be a certain kind of stupid to be a terrorist.

The lockdown procedure was like anywhere else: hide in the closest room where you aren't visible through the door, and joke about terrorists.

GoatLord said:

3) This is very superficial and narrow-minded, but I found the student quotes to be pretty lame, as I find myself examining how mundane and samey "man on the street" quotes always are. It's like "Well, jeez, c'mon, they just witnessed a shooting in their fucking school," and I'm thinking, "Yeah, but they still could have been more articulate."

We'll see how eloquent your purple prose is the next time you're in shock. Watching someone get violently murdered isn't very pleasant and there's not much more to be said on the spot other than to describe what happened.

Snakes said:

Nah, Santorum and Gingrich have always been this crazy. Repping the idiot shtick since Clinton.

But were they crazy before they entered politics? Either way they still are sellouts though, anyone that supports the NDAA can be classed as a sellout by default. And I know that they're also backed by lobbyists and get paid millions just so that they can run for a Republican candidate.

DoomUK said:

We'll see how eloquent your purple prose is the next time you're in shock. Watching someone get violently murdered isn't very pleasant and there's not much more to be said on the spot other than to describe what happened.

If you really paid attention to what I wrote, I think it would have been painfully obvious that I was aware of that.

The second victim just died earlier today.

Enjay said:

Rambo

That was the first thing that popped into my head after Coopersville mentioned action films.

As soon as I opened the link, I saw this on the top of the page:

Sorry, but that's a little more tragic. It's unfortunate that a couple kids get whacked at a school, but there are much bigger issues in the world.