• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

So just how fast does the Marine run?

Here are the figures.

He runs 43 miles an hour.

He walks 21.5 miles an hour.

With Turbo 250 he runs 78 miles an hour.

With Turbo 30 he runs just under 13 miles an hour, which leaves him walking at a still unrealistically fast 7.5 miles an hour.

So how did I arrive at these figures?

The Doom marine is 56 units high. But I'd say he's prolly 6 feet which is 72 inches. So if I convert the units into inches 1 unit is 1.2857 inches. So I setup a hallway that is 12320 units long which happens to be exactly a quarter mile. It took the Marine 21 seconds to run the quarter mile. Multiply 21 by 4 to figure how many seconds it takes him to run a mile. There are 3600 seconds is an hour. So divide 84 seconds into 3600 to find out how many miles per hour he is running.

Strange... I did a very similar experiment and got it to 60 mph. The difference must be in rounding errors (I went by the metric system, of course) and the fact that I used strafe40 for higher speed :)

It would be interesting if a programmer could check in the source code exactly how many units the Doom guy runs per gametic.

from g_game.c:

fixed_t forwardmove[2] = {0x19, 0x32};
fixed_t sidemove[2]    = {0x18, 0x28};
Thats the speed values for forward and side move, in hexadecimal. The first values are with run off, the second with run on.

Originally posted by Fredrik
It would be interesting if a programmer could check in the source code exactly how many units the Doom guy runs per gametic.

heh

Originally posted by Psyonisis
Lol you have too much time on your hands

Yeah, what he said. Not even I'M that bad!

actually that isnt the speed but the acceleration, so walking forward with run on will accelerate you forward at 1750 units/sec/sec

Yeah, I was gonna do strafe 50 or whatever you call it and wall running as well. I'll post the results for those shortly.

wall run is 82 miles an hour, so same speed as turbo 250 straight without strafe 50 (run mode on).

strafe 50 is 53 miles an hour.

strafe 50 with turbo 250: same as without - 82 miles an hour - not sure why I said it was 78 - it's 82.

wall run with turbo 250: it was a little harder to calculate this speed as i had to hit the brakes right as I went over the finish line, but I did the quarter mile in 6 seconds so that's 150 miles an hour. I really need a stop watch to get accurate speeds.

I did wall run at 100 miles an hour. This testing was more accurate because I started against the wall so didn't lose any time moving to the wall, but I thought I had taken that into account the first testing. The reason for the speed difference maybe that I splite the wall linedefs into 32 linedefs so each is 385 in length so that the trippy walls effect would go away.

Let's see what turbo 250 wall run is now that I've split the walls into 385 segments. First testing of turbo 250 wall run i started on the wall, so that won't be a factor. It's the same. I don't think the doom marine can go any faster than 150mph. Lemme remove the linedefs see if regular still is 100 miles an hour. Same speed, 100mph - musta just messed up.

The space marine runs fast enough to catch rockets =) He can actually run a tad faster than them. If he has a long enough runway, he can fire the rocket and run to the wall to be killed by the rocket he fired.

Wallrun = 300% speed right? it ought to be a lot faster than 90mph.

nah, he just kicks his feet and glides. how about when you strif? gliding!!!

one problem with your calculations, 1 vertcal unit is not equal to 1 horizontal unit, it's 1 = 1.2. so a quarter mile is 14784 units.

Originally posted by kain
he doesnt run, he glides. like that teacher on invader zim.

Dude, he runs, look at the sprites, PLAY SOME DM!

Originally posted by kain
yah
gliding.he just kicks his feet.

Animation wasn't as good back then as it is now - he was MEANT to be running.
Q: How fast does the marine run?
A: Too fast.

Originally posted by dsm

Animation wasn't as good back then as it is now - he was MEANT to be running.
Q: How fast does the marine run?
A: Too fast.

`

I like his speed.