Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

So just how fast does the Marine run?

Originally posted by Erik
Wallrun = 300% speed right? it ought to be a lot faster than 90mph.

Nah... that cannot be. I think it's about twice as fast as normal running.

Heh, there are exact figures for how fast straferunning is.

I think strafe40 is like 127% and strafe50 like 144% of normal running. Though I could be wrong because I don't remember the numbers exactly.

MY WORLD HAS JUST FALLEN APART AROUND ME!!

WHADDYA MEAN A HORIZONTAL UNIT IS NOT THE SAME AS A VERTICAL ONE!!!??????

one problem with your calculations, 1 vertcal unit is not equal to 1 horizontal unit, it's 1 = 1.2. so a quarter mile is 14784 units.

Not to be rude but this doesn't make a shred of sense to me. Please give a detailed explanation of this universe upsidedowning nonsense you claim to be true.

It's true - the practical proportion between horizontal and vertical units in Doom is not 1:1. Because the game runs in 320x200 instead of 320x240, horizontal units are "bigger".

It's true - the practical proportion between horizontal and vertical units in Doom is not 1:1. Because the game runs in 320x200 instead of 320x240, horizontal units are "bigger".

I just confirmed this.

/me cries.

so is 56 units high the same as 56 units vertical? But not the same as 56 units horizontal?

x=1
y=1.2
z=1

Correct?

[edit]

If that is correct, than my calculations were accurate, cause my quarter mile was setup vertically so that I could do the wall running.

x=1
y=1
z=1.2

z axis is the verticle. x and y define the horizontal plane.

Originally posted by stphrz
x=1
y=1
z=1.2

No, that's only virtually. On the screen, z is the depth.

x=1
y=1
z=1.2

Ahh.. ok, so that means my calculations are off.

Not to complicate things more but I measured the grid lines in Deep97 and the horizontal distance was greater than the vertical distance for each square on the grid. That is to say the boxes that make up the grid are rectangles that are wider than they are tall. However, the aspect ratio is something like 52:51 so this must be just a screen resolution thing of my monitor which is 1600x1200. So this is a moot point... so ignore this....

Originally posted by Hellbent

Ahh.. ok, so that means my calculations are off.

Not to complicate things more but I measured the grid lines in Deep97 and the horizontal distance was greater than the vertical distance for each square on the grid. That is to say the boxes that make up the grid are rectangles that are wider than they are tall. However, the aspect ratio is something like 52:51 so this must be just a screen resolution thing of my monitor which is 1600x1200. So this is a moot point... so ignore this....

No, that's wrong. Read my post above. The ratios only apply to the height/width of textures and sprites. Flats (grid) are unaffected.

The difference it makes is that if you base the DOOM metrics off the height off the doomguy (which is probably the way to go), you have to take the height/width ratios into account or else it'll be erroneous.

jeez, Doomguy is faster than my old car

/me changes transport method to piggyback on doomguy

So with this new queggle snort brought to light, the Doom Marine is running slower than I thought. 1.2 times slower.

Originally posted by Hellbent
So with this new queggle snort brought to light, the Doom Marine is running slower than I thought. 1.2 times slower.

hmm, nothing can run 1.2 times slower than something else now can it?

btw I pointed out this 1/1.2 ratio in another (identical) thread long ago

About 60 Kilometers or so. I'd have to redo the calculations since I was saying the doom marine was going 1.2 times too fast. Which I guess I would just divide by 1.2 so 43/1.2 = roughly 36. Multiply that by 1.6 to get the kilomters he's going and the asnwer is a measly 57 kilometers an hour.

Marine runs faster than Superman when he strafes50 + wallruns.

Wonder if the Doom3 marine will run faster or jump crazier?

Originally posted by 999cop

Probably not =P

Okay, I think the height thing is off. There is no way the Doomguy is 6 feet tall. Actually, I set 1 unit equal to 1 inch, and got about 4 2/3 feet tall for the Doomguy, which is actually about right, I think. You see, one time I did an experiment to convert MAP01 to half-life, and using the exact same scale, the level looked the same, only the half-life guy was taller, and so low hallways were too short for him. This would make sense if the doomguy were 4 2/3 feet, actually, and the half-life guy was more accurate, beightwise. I don't know why he's so short, but compare him to any other FPS, and you'll see that it's true.

It's not exactly news that the dimensions in DOOM are fucked up. Here's another example: a normal switch is 32x32 units, which is more than half the Doomguy's height. Ever seen a switch that's one square meter big? Also, do the BIGDOOR# textures really look like they're 4 meters high?

Originally posted by 999cop
Marine runs faster than Superman when he strafes50 + wallruns.

no. Someone already stated that. (sort of)

it's a game from 1993... please, don't expect it to be more real than real life.