Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

What CAN'T run Doom?

Since a cut-down version of Build has been ported to an 8-bit Atari I'm sure Doom could be handled in similar fashion.

Belial said:

Since a cut-down version of Build has been ported to an 8-bit Atari I'm sure Doom could be handled in similar fashion.

[citation needed]

Also, the official 90s console versions of Doom ARE pretty much cut-down versions of the engine, but they never went below the 32-bit code, and a combined RAM-ROM storage of roughly 3-4 MB. You'd need not only a cut down engine, but also cut-down resources (1/4 or even 1/16 resolution textures, much smaller levels, very limited numbers of monsters etc.) plus a rewrite to drop all unnecessary 32-bit integer ops from the code, wherever possible. Perhaps even the 16.16 FP model would have to be changed.

Since doing all of this amounts to pretty much rewriting the engine from scratch and creating ad-hoc resources (perhaps even dropping the WAD and lump management system altogether, since it would just be overhead when you have a grand total of maybe 1 MIPS), you'd end up with something that would not be Doom anymore, but more like a hacked-up Wolf3D-Doom hybrid (hmm....SNES Doom, anyone?), sacrificing the most important advantage that Doom had over Wolf3D: sanely structured engine and relatively decoupled resource management, with hardcoding kept to a -relative- minimum.

I doubt it would be possible to even have just the automap of Doom run in an 8-bit system, without ALSO making significant level size and active actor sacrifices.

ellmo said:

With 360 MHz and 32MB Ram it could probably even run Quake 3 in software mode, so yeah - it better fucking run Doom :P

As for the device itself - Holy shit, it's an emulator-lover's wet dream. I'd have to get my greasy fingers on one of those.

Not really, even Quake 1 runs choppy when any remotely complicated scenery is visible. If you're interested in devices like that you might want to look for a CAANOO or if you're feeling adventurous into the Pandora.

boris said:

Not really, even Quake 1 runs choppy when any remotely complicated scenery is visible. If you're interested in devices like that you might want to look for a CAANOO or if you're feeling adventurous into the Pandora.

That's sad to hear - any idea what causes the performance lag? Unless we're overestimating the ARMs power (it should easily be P-II class, at that speed), then it must be that particular port that is shitty. Is that with or w/o audio?

ellmo said:

Quake 3
software mode

OK hold yer horses there....AFAIK Quake 3 didn't come with a software renderer (I used to believe it did, but it turned out that was Quake II). Is there a third-party software renderer for Q3 source ports perhaps?

Maes said:

That's sad to hear - any idea what causes the performance lag? Unless we're overestimating the ARMs power (it should easily be P-II class, at that speed), then it must be that particular port that is shitty. Is that with or w/o audio?

The A320 is not ARM, but some MIPS. It's pretty crappy hardware in general, you get what you pay for.

Quake port runs fine on Nintendo DS Lite (ARM9 @ 67 MHz + ARM7 @ 33 MHz) but a lot of effort was put into the coding. In fact, I think it plays better than dsdoom. I don't know how the Dingoo compares in hardware or quality of the port.

But since the NDS Lite only has 4 MB RAM, you can't run any big 3rd-party maps (mission packs 1 & 2, etc.) and Quake II just flat-out doesn't run without the 16 MB RAM upgrade. I guess the DSi and 3DS models don't have that problem...

The Pandora is still way overpriced (about $400), unless you're one of those rich kids who buys tablets and iphones. The PSP is pretty good hardware, but it's Sony so fuck them and their shitty business practices. I might end up building a custom handheld out of the $35 raspberry pi board, once they get all their bugs worked out (and learn how to solder their SMT chips properly).

Maes said:

OK hold yer horses there....AFAIK Quake 3 didn't come with a software renderer (I used to believe it did, but it turned out that was Quake II). Is there a third-party software renderer for Q3 source ports perhaps?

You can always use MESA or other OpenGL implementations that can render purely in software, but it's fairly slow for Quake 3 even on modern PCs.

Dear id,

Please can you release Dooms for the PSN? I would love to play on PS3 and my shiny new Vita. Cross-platform play and compatibility would be wonderful too, and suppot for new WADs.

Did Doom ever make it to the PSP?

Gadbury said:

Dear id,

Please can you release Dooms for the PSN? I would love to play on PS3 and my shiny new Vita. Cross-platform play and compatibility would be wonderful too, and suppot for new WADs.

Did Doom ever make it to the PSP?

I think Doom is available for the XBLA too.I think it comes bundled with Doom 3.As for a PSP port...

doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_PSP

hex11 said:

Quake port runs fine on Nintendo DS Lite (ARM9 @ 67 MHz + ARM7 @ 33 MHz) but a lot of effort was put into the coding. In fact, I think it plays better than dsdoom. I don't know how the Dingoo compares in hardware or quality of the port.

The Wind Tunnels (E3M6) runs like shit. The framerate is so bad that it renders the game completely unplayable. The Quake port definitely had more effort put into it than the Doom port, though.