Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nomad

Should I use portals or 3d floors?

This is probably more of a matter of taste less than a technical question, but I'm wondering for this particular section of a map I'm working on what would be the best way to tackle what I want to do.

I want to take this:

And make it look a bit like this:

I started trying a portal which presented a couple issues--namely, obviously if you try to use a projectile weapon it will collide with the invisible ceiling and ruin the illusion. Secondly, it produced some visual errors that while I think I could fix but would make producing the ceiling I want a little more difficult. But on the other hand I guess I would have to do the same thing if I used 3d floors.

I suppose I technically need neither, but I'm partly doing this map to experiment with both aforementioned effects. What do you think?

The advantage of portals is that they let you disconnect floor geometry from ceiling geometry. The advantage of 3D floors is that they are physically there. (3D floors also have an advantage for repetitive vertical detail.)

For intricate detailing of both floor and ceiling, I would tend to recommend portals. Especially if slopes are involved. Like, say you want a dome on the ceiling... And now on the floor a low square wall surrounding an altar halfway under the dome. Augh!

Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't you make screenshot #2 with just slopes?

edit: sorry, I missed the last paragraph

I hope Eternity will have both, some day.

@Gez: 3d floor editing should be easy with Doom Builder 2 and the GZDoom plugin. And for what I see in that Quake 2 or whatever screenshot, I'd say that 3d floors are more suitable.

I dislike purely cosmetic portals. As soon as projectiles vanish midway, the magic trick is ruined.

What GZDoom/Skulltag needs is linked portals. That would eliminate the problem with projectiles colliding with the invisible ceiling/floor. Probably easier said than implemented, though.

I settled for Portals, and think it was the right choice despite the flaws. Simple fact is, it is better suited for detailing floors and ceilings separately and I think doing so with just slopes would have been more trouble than it's worth. Don't have a finished shot yet, have to dredge up the motivation to figure out the angles to rotate flats for the support beams if I decide to actually make them the same way that Unreal Tournament map was.

Which brings me to a somewhat related but irrelevant question to this thread: Does Skulltag have a special UDMF format? I realize the "U" stands for "Universal," but I mean a UDMF format that includes all the Skulltag things and other definitions. Slightly late in development for this map to switch (I don't want to deal with fixing bugs related to converting the map to a different format, and it's somewhat of little more than a proof-of-concept map for myself using these new features anyway).

Nomad said:

UDMF format

I don't know, let me recall my PIN number and go and check the ATM machine to see if the NFCU Credit Union has any answers I could borrow to tell you

All grammatical assholishness aside, no, there's nothing special about Skulltag's implementation of UDMF. Just realize that generally with Skulltag you're behind ZDoom by a few... hundred... Major revisions, etc. etc. blah blah

Nomad said:

Which brings me to a somewhat related but irrelevant question to this thread: Does Skulltag have a special UDMF format? I realize the "U" stands for "Universal," but I mean a UDMF format that includes all the Skulltag things and other definitions. Slightly late in development for this map to switch (I don't want to deal with fixing bugs related to converting the map to a different format, and it's somewhat of little more than a proof-of-concept map for myself using these new features anyway).

There's probably a UDMF config you can get somewhere that'll include Skulltag's added items and stuff, but I just used the ZDoom UDMF one for SpaceDM9.

40oz said:

you should use colors

Yeah, textures are fairly temporary. I do realize it's a LOT of brown. Still WIP shots, of course. :P