Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myk

Miscellaneous demos (part 2) [please post in part 3 instead]

Since there's been a recent rush of DD level demos, I might as well add one for a DD level with no demos at all for it which is surprising.

Level in question is Crimson Horizon with a UV-Max done for it in 11:17. I'd go as far as to say this is one of the easiest DD levels on UV.

Still plenty of scope for improvement here. Under 11 minutes is quite possible I'd say.

crhz1117.zip

I'm unwell at the moment so my list of maps to demo will have to wait, but I did Crimson Horizon once a few years ago messing about with save states and I'm sure <9 minutes is possible, but it's a lot of frustration with releasing everything and skipping.

Hmm I think I kinda dislike it when the authors reveal their maxes so soon. :\ Like how TOD posted his max for nina2 a few hours after the release, so now there is no point in trying it for anyone except 2-3 more Doom gods. And even if a demo isn't godlike it still spoils cool intended strategies\tactics. Then again, I did it myself numerous times so hypocrisy for the win I guess.

edit: that was written before reading your txt. :)

Even with my disclaimer, I think you're right. Thanks for this post which made me realize I could've acted with more caution.

Heh, I may become a target for rotten apples now, but I personally get pretty sick of my own maps while constructing and balancing/playtesting them. So it's hard for me to demo my own stuff, requires some more willpower than I usually possess.

I don't at all dislike it, but I personally don't want to do it because I'm looking forward to watching a demo which you record with your strategy. I'm interested in how everyone deals with my map. Of course, I never make a map which is not fun for me to play. There are some requests to me to play map 29 in 1994 tune-up project in youtube, but I don't intend to do it yet.

Bunch of miscellaneous demos:
8City2 Pacifist in 0:18.

bwsdml11 UV-Speed in 0:30.
bwsdml11 UV-Max in 1:54

Fafnir UV-Max in 6:09.
Fafnir Pacifist in 0:28.

Jax04 UV-Speed in 1:18.
Jax04 UV-Max in 4:33.

Lodge UV-Max in 4:03.
Lodge Pacifist in 0:42.

Vile Challenge UV-Speed in 0:38.
Vile Challenge UV-Max in 1:04.
Vile Challenge NM-Speed in 0:38.
Vile Challenge Pacifist in 0:48.

miscdmos.zip

Mayhem 2012 Map07 UV-Max in 8:04

The zipfile also contains a bonus demo which showcases an attempt-breaking occurrence that can be triggered if you're unlucky enough. Kinda stupid that it's even possible and it definitely lessens the replayability.

mh07-804.zip

Dario Casali's classic Punisher UV-Fast in 7:31

Considering I got this on my first go, in 30 minutes and I just woke up, that's pretty damn impressive :I

Probably a forgotten and overlooked classic by now, it has great historical significance being the first slaughter wad ever conceived I think being from 1995.

Big kudos to Anima Zero for route ideas ;)

See text file for thorough analysis as always :P

pnsh-731f.zip

I don't think the idea of putting 9000 monsters in a iwad map was that new in 1995. Isn't that what everyone was doing even before proper editors existed and people couldn't change the level geometry at all? Check dminator.wad for an example.

A few obscure individuals were making crazy slaughter wads in 1994? O.O

It's odd how you only find some wads on DSDA due to copyright infringement I guess? And they just happen to be forgotten gems or interesting contraptions.

Well Dario is the first one who did it correctly without it being a mind numbing mess :P

EDIT: Well I found the obscure sequel/rework mentioned in the comments for the above.

http://doomedsda.us/wad1107.html

It's even worse! Their are nearly 200 extra enemies and one or two of the Invuls are gone. I'm sure Ancalagon or j4rio can improve the max here, I won't be touching this on -Fast soon, or at least not yet being busy.

Bloodite Krypto said:

It's odd how you only find some wads on DSDA due to copyright infringement I guess?

Not necessarily infringement, but sometimes just the archive's rules, which don't allow some types of maps that are allowed by the EULA and don't infringe copyright. Also, some maps were simply never uploaded to the archive (for whatever reason) but were used for demos.

As for early slaughter maps that weren't just packing id maps with extra monsters, there are the competition maps from H2H. The version linked to is not the earliest (there are single-map wads from April 1995), and they were later slightly reworked for inclusion in H2H-Xmas.

You may also find this thread of interest.