Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myk

Miscellaneous demos (part 2) [please post in part 3 instead]

Revisiting the old favorites - Serenity by Bjorn Hermans and Holger Nathrath, now done on Nightmare:

map   | kills | secrets |  time
 --------------------------------
 E3M1  |  107  |   100   |  3:09
 E3M2  |   39  |     0   |  0:52
 E3M3  |   76  |   100   |  2:52
 E3M4  |   79  |    61   |  3:00
 E3M5  |   50  |   n/a   |  2:09
 E3M6  |   64  |     0   |  3:45
 E3M7  |  122  |    67   |  8:26
 E3M8  |   54  |    44   |  1:33
 --------------------------------
Doing E3M7 was a painful experience. I doubt I'll be improving that particular run any time soon.

serennm_na.zip

Eternity (aka Serenity II) by the same authors: a UV Max movie in 51:48 - almost 20 minutes faster than my ten-year-old eterna.lmp

map   |  time |  old
 ---------------------
 E2M1  |  4:46 |  6:51
 E2M2  |  7:31 | 11:07
 E2M3  |  8:03 | 10:44
 E2M4  |  6:27 |  8:35
 E2M5  |  7:16 |  9:18
 E2M6  |  6:35 |  9:41
 E2M7  |  8:22 |  9:30
 E2M8  |  2:48 |  4:13
 ---------------------
 total | 51:48 | 69:59

eter5148_na.zip

jongo said:

when new demos by sav:(

Well, once again I'm going to record some tough, time-consuming demos. And being busy with job makes my progress even slower.

In-between the hard work, I made a little demo for an overlooked map, in my usual relaxing category -- Nightmare :-)

Shaitan's Luck MAP26 NM100S in 0:54 (originally wanted 59)

sl26s054.zip

SAV88 said:

Well, once again I'm going to record some tough, time-consuming demos. And being busy with job makes my progress even slower.

You could try some slaughtermap max (ng/hr2/etc). I thought you liked h229.

Memfis said:

DE2106.WAD
UV-Max in 3:28

This is actually a version of DAVES2ND.WAD from this pack, which is a collection of finalists for a Doom 1 level design contest PC Zone ran in 1994. The version you played is identical apart from switching out textures that don't exist in Doom 2. The actual DE2106.WAD, available in that pack, is a completely different map.

Similarly, COMP.WAD from this page is actually CHAOS.WAD edited in the same way, and JEFF247.WAD from this page is actually JAIL.WAD. The real versions of COMP.WAD and JEFF247.WAD can be found in the finalists pack.

Hmm, interesting, thanks for the info TGH. I wonder how all this stuff with wrong names happened? Some new sophisticated form of sabotaging the archives?

Three uDoom MMH demos that are better than my previous:

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/doom_mmh_e1m1_113h_0004669.zip -- e1m1, 113h, :46.69
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/doom_mmh_e1m2_200h_0011637.zip -- e1m2, 200h, 1:16.37
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/doom_mmh_e1m3_200h_0035009.zip -- e1m3, 200h, 3:50.09

More aggressive play, better reaction times, whatever. I recorded these while I couldn't find my previous ones and I ended up improving them -- e1m3 is actually a different route, to avoid the slime tunnel required to get to the secret exit. I think the secret exit route is faster but whatever :-P

But the real meat of this post...

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/doom_mmh_e1m4_200h_0020374.zip -- e1m4, 200 HEALTH, 2:03.74

fuck. the. slime. This is easily the hardest 200-health run to record in episode 1 (and possibly all of Ultimate Doom, as I think episode 1 has the highest frequency of hitscanners), and I say that confidently not having made any runs on e1m7.

EDIT: just discovered that 200-e1m4 is actually not a table-filler, and that my time beats Rini's by a second. But I don't know what the rules were for COMPET-N regarding the tiebreakers for MMH; is 200-r1m4 in 2:04 beaten by 200-e1m4 in 2:03 (no respawn)? Meh, whatever, I'm still happy either way to have gotten this :-)

EDIT EDIT: Oh jesus, just watched Rini's route. 200-e1m4 is doable under a minute if you take the rail...

dammit. :-P

rrwoods said:
Three uDoom MMH demos that are better than my previous:

[...]

But the real meat of this post...

Are these vanilla demos... or were they recorded with CnDoom? The text files don't say!

myk said:

Are these vanilla demos... or were they recorded with CnDoom? The text files don't say!

CNDOOM. I'm using the Competition Doom text file format... it doesn't have a spot for the engine. I'll add one though. EDIT: Files updated, same links should work.

I'm thinking about giving up on a :45 200-r1m4... The route is just so aggressive, and the stupid slime is just awful. This is my route right now:

Charge the three zombiemen in the first room while firing. Use your movements to line them up so only one or two of them can see you at a time, and kill them or leave the room when the last one is targeting an imp. Enter the room with the slime river, at around :04.5.

Take the slime plunge, get the RL, and back up and fire a rocket at the shotgunner. Take his shotgun and the rocket and get on the lift.

Go through the entry room onto the switched lift, and switch to the RL while on the lift. Go through the obelisk room. Fire one rocket at the right side of the imp's cage, and the other into the alcove with the yellow key (hopefully all three imps die here). Use Rini's trick to make the rail jump.

Take the key (actually somewhat finicky sometimes), hit the switch, open the door. Kill the first two shotgunners, but only take one shot at the other two as you move up the stairs.

Final time is usually :44 - :46, but this route is probably way more impossible than it feels. Rini's "Unbeatable" comment in his text file is just asking for it though! :-P

It might also be possible to do the long jump without being hit instead of the rail? Dunno. If it is it would save a ton of time.

EDIT EDIT: http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/095-r1m4-everything_but_the_slime.lmp -- here's a demo of the route. I added the secret room at the beginning so I could have a third rocket in the penultimate room.

I'd love to see someone else do this, but for now I think I'm going to give up :-/

rrwoods said:
but for now I think I'm going to give up :-/

NOPE

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/doom_mmh_e1m4_200h_0005289.zip

this run is a miracle. Basically everything that could have gone wrong in the last fifteen seconds did go wrong: The first rocket didn't kill the imp (who then hurled a fireball at me), the demon tried to block my way, the yellow door bug happened for a good 3 seconds... and yet, somehow, I'm still intact at the ending.

I ended up changing the route just a tad; it's faster to get the third rocket by saving it instead of taking it from the secret room (and besides, rocketing the shotgunner proved more luck-based than pistoling him).

MMH might not be a COMPET-N category anymore but I'm extremely proud of this recording. I'd still love to see someone smash it with a :45 though.

EDIT: minor updates to text file, had the date/time wrong. same link should still work.

Random question (maybe this deserves its own thread if there's enough discussion) -- If there was a database specifically for MMH demos, would there be interest? Probably with the same categories as COMPET-N: speed, max, pacifist, respawn, fast, nm, etc.

I don't have the swath of free time necessary to set such a database up at the moment, but I'm seriously considering it for the future if there's interest. I'd probably call it MMH-N :-P

EDIT instead of a quad-post :-P -- http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/doom_mmh_e1m6_200h_0054111.zip -- 200-e1m6, 5:41.

In 2009, there was this (Kimo's ml09-014.lmp = UV Speed/Reality/MMH 200%) on Mini Level Megawad. Also a few reality max demos. I think reality is more unforgiving, less interesting, but has one advantage: the rules are simple :)

Memfis said:

Probably not, I think you're the first person to publish a MMH demo in years...

That's what I thought.

vdgg said:

the rules are simple

Also true. Most MMH ends up being reality anyway, except that you also need to find the soul sphere/megasphere/all the health potions. I like the options MMH could possibly give you on a level where you're required to take damage: which health pickups to get before taking damage, which ones to get after; etc.

895 kills are possible in Seej.wad? i experimented here ;)
Caution:Too crappy to view complete just a starting trick needs attention...:)

seej1751.zip

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~woorich1/doom_mmh_e1m7_190h_0074057.zip

This is hard. I might be eating my words on this one: 200-e1m7 might possibly be harder than 200-r1m4. I don't even want to think about 200-r1m7... Satisfied with 190 for now. Hitting that soul sphere unscathed is *difficult*. The rest of the level is honestly not that hard, I have done everything post-supercharge without taking any hits on several occasions. Just have to do it in the same run as getting to the soul sphere unscathed!

H2H-Xmas uv max demos
Map01 - 0:49
Map02 - 2:31
Map03 - 1:36
Map04 - 1:25
Map05 - 1:58
Was planning on doing the entire set, but looks likely I will spit out a few more on the run up to Christmas, but nothing in comparison to an entire demopack.

h2h-xmas demos.zip

Nice runs Cannonball, I would very much like to see more :)

I distinctly remember when I was first recording demos for H2H-xmas on Zdoom that there were a few older demos for the wad, possibly from a demo recording competition or something, but I can't find them anywhere. They don't seem to be on idgames and not on DSDA either. Does anyone have any idea where to get those? I remember there were a couple of pretty amazing runs, and I couldn't get even close to those times no matter how hard I tried.